Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champix aka Chantix/Varenicline

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭connewitz

Alzar wrote: »
    My Quit Date 28/01/11
    Days Smoke Free 7 :D

Money Saved €57.40

Savings per month: €246
    Saving per year: €2952
    Saving over 5 years: €14760 << That would be nice, if you could put away the fag money every day.

Al.

Hi Al!
    Nice saving! I do save my money since my quit day (27.04.10) and in December 2010 my partner and I had a beautiful holiday in Austria from this savings. You just have to stick to your saving scheme! I bring my money in the Credit Union weekly.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Derfil

I'm off the fags a month. Took the Champix for a month and worked great. Was just finished the first month last Monday and got the flu and tonsillitis. On a prescription for that at the moment for the throat but don't have many if any urge to smoke so not sure whether I'll bother going for the next two months chempix subscription.

Anyone any experience of only taking one month of the champix only?

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Alzar

8 Days into this trek & i'm still off the fags but I'm off the Champix too. The last tablet I took was about 6pm Thursday, none since.

I just couln't take feeling so miserable & fed up any more :eek: the last few days have been very rough & at times, scary. So I've had enough of them.

Hopefully my resolve to stay off the smokes will do from here on in. I mean, I haven't smoked in 8 days, so I'm gonna take it day by day,........hour by hour if I have to ;)

Thanks to all who posted in this thread, it's a great support.

Al.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 winster

Hi Derfil

I only took the champix for about 5 weeks - felt a bit sick taking them and also wasn't sleeping very well. Am off the ciggies for 4 months now. Just back from holidays which was a big test but managed to resist. Still hard - some days worse than others but well worth it. I know I couldn't have quit without the tablets but I didn't feel it was worth the side effects to take the full course. Best of luck with it. I found reading this thread very helpful.

All the Best

Winster

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Tip

Just popping in, I'm off the smokes now 1 yr 8mths and feel fantastic. Champix really changed my life. I was avid smoker for 35 yrs smoking 20 cigs a day. As I admitted to a friend recently ideally I would have loved a permanent cigarette. I thought I was a lost cause truthfully. I had a health scare but nothing to do with smoking, but it made me realise how easy it is to be told you are ill without any symptoms to warn you. I swore there n then if things worked out for me that I would try and quit cigarettes. I went to my gp and the rest is history. So my advice is anyone thinling of using Champix - Do give it a go, it can work for u as it did for me. I had few side effects. At this stage I don't miss cigs. I remain vigilant at all times as I know I 'm only one Puff away from the dreaded addiction :mad:

• Advertisement

Thanks for the great posts. If we stick together, than nothing can put us off course! We should be very proud, because we are all fighters!
    Keep on going. It is so worth it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

Hi Derfil
    Hope your feeling better, I took the champix for 4 weeks (28 days) and am still off the cigs (1 year and about 4-5months) so it is possible to break the habit after the first month but everybody is different. I found the the first 2weeks very tough and would not have got into the third week without the tabs, started getting weird dreams on the fourth week so i just stopped taking them(tabs) and am still of them.(cigs)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

I'm on Day 10 of the tabs, ie. 3 full days doses of the 1mg tabs taken. Only four more days till I get to day 14's tabs and this is the latest D-Day for last fag isn't it?? ie. The pack says you should stop between Day 8 and Day 14.

My problem is that while I am experiencing some of the milder side affects like nausea, insommnia, vivid dreams and today I feel very on edge, I am not feeling any decrease in my desire to smoke. Still smoking as many a day now as I was on day zero.

Anyone else not cut down at all before their quit date?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 winster

Hi Calibos

I was the exact same as you - all the same side effects and didn't feel any decrease in the desire to smoke until the 3rd week of the tabs. I gave up on day 21. I'd definately stick with the tabs for another while unless you're really worried about the side effects. I only took the tabs for about 5 weeks. Best of Luck

Winster

Hi All,

12 days off the smokes now, nearly a €100 not spent on fags....nice :D
    Thats paid for the course of Champix.

Keep it going everyone - together we can beat the weed!!

Al.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Paula60

Was off fags for Four months. Was moving this weekend to a new house. Found an old box of fags and couldn't resist. Im smoking again now for two days. Where do I go from here??? Any help

Paula60 wrote: »
    Was off fags for Four months. Was moving this weekend to a new house. Found an old box of fags and couldn't resist. Im smoking again now for two days. Where do I go from here??? Any help

Don`t beat yourself up! Do you happen to have some of the champix left? If yes, then take them again. It was a slip and it is up to you, if you go back into your old (nasty) habit or not. Think of your sister and how she is suffering because of this "coffin nails". It is not worth it and you can stop it again!!! Come on, stay with us. We will give you all the help and support you need. You can go to your GP as well and don`t be ashamed! We are only human after all! I will think of you and keep my fingers crossed! Your sis would not like it either!;)

I'll see can I just put the last two days behind me before I go for the champix. I haven't smoked today and don't feel to bad. I'll just have to be on my guard for lifes stressful situations, and moving is one of them. Will keep in touch. I do, by the way, have some champix left so will go back if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

I'll see can I just put the last two days behind me before I go for the champix. I haven't smoked today and don't feel to bad. I'll just have to be on my guard for lifes stressful situations, and moving is one of them. Will keep in touch. I do, by the way, have some champix left so will go back if needed.

Hi Paula ,these things happen just put it behind you and you seem to have done this, no matter how long your off them you really have to be viligant keep it going and all the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭DonnieL

Hello again from California. Just a word to the "newbies"! DO NOT DISPAIR! If you SINCERELY want to quit you will quit! Listen to TERENC and CONNEWITZ.. They're "veterans" now. I celebrated 2 years off those nasty things back on the 12th of January and I still have dreams about smoking. Just night before last I dreamed I was sitting in my patio with a whiskey and 7 smoking one after another and was so relieved to wake up and realize it was just a dream.:eek: I was a 2 pack a day smoker for over 50 years.

Just remember there will be the ULTIMATE test next month!! St. Patricks Day! BTW! He didn't smoke!:D

Just keep checking into this thread when you're feeling like giving up. You'll always find kind words and support. That's how I got throught it and I'm eternally greatful! Cheers and kind thoughts to you all!!;)

DonnieL wrote: »
    Hello again from California. Just a word to the "newbies"! DO NOT DISPAIR! If you SINCERELY want to quit you will quit! Listen to TERENC and CONNEWITZ.. They're "veterans" now. I celebrated 2 years off those nasty things back on the 12th of January and I still have dreams about smoking. Just night before last I dreamed I was sitting in my patio with a whiskey and 7 smoking one after another and was so relieved to wake up and realize it was just a dream.:eek: I was a 2 pack a day smoker for over 50 years.

Just remember there will be the ULTIMATE test next month!! St. Patricks Day! BTW! He didn't smoke!:D

Just keep checking into this thread when you're feeling like giving up. You'll always find kind words and support. That's how I got throught it and I'm eternally greatful! Cheers and kind thoughts to you all!!;)

Hello Donnie! I can see (or read), that you must be in good form. What a nice surprise. So all the doctors gave their best to keep you with your family, friends and us!!!:D
    Paddy`s day will be the ultimate test for a lot of the newbies, but like you I am convinced, that all of them will go through it without a cig!
    Alcohol is the vice when you stopped smoking. That`s why I did not drink for the first 3 month`s after finishing the champix. It helped.
    And your are so right, this thread is a huge help and great support. So people, listen to Donnie, he knows what he is talking about. And by the way, it is funny to read his old posts!:P He is a fighter and a real charmer!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭DonnieL

Murphy showed up at Mass one Sunday & the priest almost fell down when he saw him. He'd never been to church in his life..

After Mass, the priest caught up with him & said, "Murphy, I am so glad ya decided to come to Mass. What made ya come?"

Murphy said, "I got to be honest with you Father, a while back, I misplaced me hat & I really, really love that hat. I know that McGlynn had a hat just like mine & I knew he came to church every Sunday. I also knew that he had to take off his hat during Mass & figured he would leave it in the back of church. So, I was going to leave after Communion & steal McGlynn's hat."

The priest said, "Well, Murphy, I notice that ya didn't steal McGlynn's hat. What changed your mind?"

Murphy replied, "Well, after I heard your sermon on the 10 Commandments, I decided that I didn't need to steal McGlynn's hat after all."

With a tear in his eye the priest gave Murphy a big smile & said; "After I talked about 'Thou Shalt Not Steal' ya decided you would rather do without your hat than burn in Hell?"

Murphy slowly shook his head. "No, Father, after ya talked about 'Thou Shalt Not Commit Adultery' I remembered where I left me hat.

Thanks for this! Had a good laugh!
    Every little sunshine is a help in this gloomy times!
    Keep it going!!!!!!!!!:D

Day 20 today. Still hanging in there.
    Thanks for the jokes DonnieL, always bring a smile :D

Al.

Alzar wrote: »
    Day 20 today. Still hanging in there.
    Thanks for the jokes DonnieL, always bring a smile :D

Al.

Hi Alzar, nice to hear from you again. Keep it up! Getting easier every day. :D

• Advertisement

I have lots of champix left, but they're the stronger ones, can I cut them in half? Also, I am still on lexapro for anxiety will there be any effects?:(

Anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭hellodolly

Hiya Paula69, yes you can cut them in half, I did. I suffered terrible insomnia on the Champix and had to take sleeping tablets (which only gave an extra hour's sleep)... Once I started cutting down on the Champix my sleep started to improve and once I finished them my sleep pattern came right back to normal.

Your anxiety should lessen a bit when you starting cutting back and should disappear altogether when you finish the Champix :)

I have lots of champix left, but they're the stronger ones, can I cut them in half? Also, I am still on lexapro for anxiety will there be any effects?:(

Anyone

I love to hear, that you want to get back on the wagon!
    Have never cut the champix, so no experience there. Why don`t give it a try with a half one and see how it goes. Last resort is your GP, to whom you should go if you are very unsure what to do. Good luck!:)

Thanks for your immediate response. My smoking habit hasn't become a three pack a day habit yet, like before, so I want to get on the right road before it does. I got terrible anxiety when I started taking Champix before, but I also got terrible news about my sister at around the same time. :mad:

Thanks for your immediate response. My smoking habit hasn't become a three pack a day habit yet, like before, so I want to get on the right road before it does. I got terrible anxiety when I started taking Champix before, but I also got terrible news about my sister at around the same time. :mad:

I can only imagine what it is to have a loved one suffering with lung cancer! But I am sure, that this should be a kick in the bum to rethink your own smoking habits and what you want to do with the rest of your life. After my friend landed in hospital with lung cancer (surgery saved his life), I did start on champix. Never looked back. I was only thinking, that this could be me. What would I miss, if I would die! My kids are still only in their 20s and I do have no grandchildren yet. Why should I give up my life for smokes? No way!!!!!
    So now I am off them since nearly 10 months and if you think really hard, than you will stop looking for excuses to smoke and think of reasons to stop again! Good luck!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

In case anyone has just started or is just about to start Champix, this is my situation

Day 13 on Champix.
    Day 2 of no cigarettes.

I would have smoked approx 8 cigs per day, but was very addicted to them - for example smoke early in the morning, or always having a ciggie when on the phone!

I noticed that during the start of the Champix little changed. Into about day 8 urge to smoke was reduced - down to about 5 per day.

By day 10, down to 2 per day, and the cigarettes didn't seem to have any effect anyway.

Now off them, and have a feeling that something is missing - the cigs obviously! Manageable by keeping busy and chewing gum.

I have yet to suffer any major side effects, but I am having very strange and very lucid dreams, got a headache last night, and wake up between 3 and 4 am every night dying to go to the toilet (number 1).

These only really came on after a day or two of going on the the full tablets, twice per day.

I was feeling quite sick also after taking each tablet, but have virtually eliminated this by having hem just before or just after a meal.

Currently taking 1 tab in the morning - about 7am, 1 at night about 7.30 pm.

My starter pack was €134 in McCabes Pharmacy. I do not know what the 2nd and 3rd month supply will cost.

Just keep on going. The dreams will stay with you for a while (even after you stop taking champix). The interrupted sleep will go away after finishing the curse and you are doing the right thing by taking champix with food.
    All the weird side effects will ease off!
    You are doing good so far!:D
    You earn a big applause for trying to give up smoking!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭rock garden

HIall used champix in may 2007 quit for 4 weeks . was on them till 10 am monday none since. day 13 champix day 2 quit weeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Alexasmokes

Don't take that crap people, have you seen the long ass list of chantix champix side effects? It's borderline ridiculous. No, it IS ridiculous. There's been actual documented cases of suicide directly related to this drug. It affects how you think, ****. Why would this even be made? oh wait, right, money. BIG money. I suggest you look at healthier alternatives. My dad quit using electronic cigarettes, he simply reduced the nicotine strength over a few months and doesn't smoke at all anymore!

• Advertisement

Don't take that crap people, have you seen the long ass list of chantix champix side effects? It's borderline ridiculous. No, it IS ridiculous. There's been actual documented cases of suicide directly related to this drug. It affects how you think, ****. Why would this even be made? oh wait, right, money. BIG money. I suggest you look at healthier alternatives. My dad quit using electronic cigarettes, he simply reduced the nicotine strength over a few months and doesn't smoke at all anymore!

I think that we all do know about the side effects and when getting the prescription of the GP he/she tells you about it again. I did had a thorough check up before she gave them to me. It is a drug and nobody is denying it! Take a drug and you will have side effects! This is with every other drug the same. And this is exactly the reason why you can`t get Champix over the counter.
    So before you take them you have to take a lot of things in consideration. I done it and was given the green light by my GP. Side effects were managable and I am now a non-smoker since over 10 months. No regrets. What ever works for you as long as you stop smoking!;)

Advertisement