Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champix aka Chantix/Varenicline

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

Don't take that crap people, have you seen the long ass list of chantix champix side effects? It's borderline ridiculous. No, it IS ridiculous. There's been actual documented cases of suicide directly related to this drug. It affects how you think, ****. Why would this even be made? oh wait, right, money. BIG money. I suggest you look at healthier alternatives. My dad quit using electronic cigarettes, he simply reduced the nicotine strength over a few months and doesn't smoke at all anymore!
    I agree with what you are saying but when you have tried every avenue and failed and I am including electronic cigarettes in my list of failures and every time I attempted to stop smoking I failed I went back smoking more (30+) and I think its just fantastic that your dad gave up smoking but at the end of the day we are all different and what works for one person might not work for another.
    The champix worked for me, I research it before I took it and I knew the the possible outcomes of something going wrong and possibly coming to harm, but let me tell you my life has changed so much since I have stopped smoking that the risk of the champix side effects pale in comparison to what the cigarettes were doing to me ,my family and life in general.
    The champix did cost me but then again I spent thousands and thousands keeping the tobacco companies happy, the champix worked for me so I would be a firm supporter of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 doggy Bear

connewitz wrote: »
    Side effects were managable and I am now a non-smoker since over 10 months. No regrets. What ever works for you as long as you stop smoking!;)

Agreed. Look, like you said, this is a drug. Take it at your peril. It's not candy. But if you can't quit cold-turkey, which is difficult for most of us, and you are more or less a normal person (normal as in no serious mental and biological issues), then you won't have many problems with the possible side effects.
    I've taken this drug twice. Once 3 years ago and I stopped smoking for a year and a half. Stupidly I started up again a year ago. I've gone back to Champix and have now stopped for the past three weeks. It works. BUT there is a warning carried with this drug. Here's a quote from Wikipediia:

The US Food and Drug Administration requires varenicline and Zyban (bupropion) to carry a black box warning, the agency's strongest safety warning, due to side effects including depression, suicidal thoughts, and suicidal actions.

So think about it and if you think you'll be okay, then use it. It does work...
    And if you end up committing suicide because of it, well, you've definitely stopped smoking then.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭connewitz

doggy Bear wrote: »
    The US Food and Drug Administration requires varenicline and Zyban (bupropion) to carry a black box warning, the agency's strongest safety warning, due to side effects including depression, suicidal thoughts, and suicidal actions.

So think about it and if you think you'll be okay, then use it. It does work...
    And if you end up committing suicide because of it, well, you've definitely stopped smoking then.

:D You hit the nail on the head with this!!!!! Hope you are not falling off the wagon again. Keep us posted. We do help each other through all kinds of things!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Cazzie_5

I have been on champix since the 28th January and stopped on the 7th day. The cigs just tasted rotten so was a total waste of time and money trying to smoke them.

The only side effect I had was feeling queasy after taking the first one of the day.That wears off very quickly, all drugs have side effects.

I started on the 6th week of my course yesterday and to date I have saved £180 :D

My nephew is 3 weeks behind me on the course but he has stopped , again on the 7th day.

I managed to talk my hubby into going to get them of the doctor, he is now on day 8 but although he hasn't stopped he is now yapping about feeling queasy with a cig, so hopefully he will quit quite soon.

I'm thinking of the extra money saved, it's going towards a holiday...bring on the sunshine.

Out of interest how much does it cost to get the tablets in the ROI ? Apologies if the cost has already been posted.

Cazzie_5 wrote: »
    I have been on champix since the 28th January and stopped on the 7th day. The cigs just tasted rotten so was a total waste of time and money trying to smoke them.

The only side effect I had was feeling queasy after taking the first one of the day.That wears off very quickly, all drugs have side effects.

I started on the 6th week of my course yesterday and to date I have saved £180 :D

Out of interest how much does it cost to get the tablets in the ROI ? Apologies if the cost has already been posted.

Hi Cazzie! Congrats to your decision to stop smoking.:D As you can see (read) you are surrounded by people in the same state of mind.
    Make sure you take the champix with food or after a meal and the queasiness should ease off! A lot of us had the same feeling and food always seemed to help.
    I am not really sure how much the champix cost here, but I do think it is around 130 Euro for one month. Did not have to pay, because I am on the Medical card and every GP is happy to see you stop smoking, so I got them for free.
    The savings are great! We are not in the rosiest situation money wise, but I still put the 30 Euro per week in my saving account (even when it starts to hurt by now) and in December we could afford to go and visit my daughter in Austria. This would have been impossible without the savings!
    I keep my fingers crossed for you, your nephew and hubby! Together you are strong and I am sure, that you will beat the smoke monster! (sounds like I am talking about LOST, sorry):o

• Advertisement

Hi connewitz, hubby has only had 2 cigs today, so fingers crossed the big galloot kicks them soon.
    Up here in Belfast all presriptions are free so we were lucky, I know in England each item costs £7.

I went and booked a holiday for September, so looking forward to that right now.

Good luck to everyone and keep perservering , you will get there in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭rock garden

Hi all things going well day 17 champix day 6 off the evil weed. No cravings.regards rg.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭susanweir

Hi all, and well done:),

I am 8 weeks off the evils with help of Champix. Stopped Champix 4 weeks ago because I wasn't tolerating the side effects well, but still attribute my quit mainly to Champix (and a bit of willpower)!

I have two months unopened supply left (112 X 1mg tabs) that I paid for and will not use (one pack is 'best by' June and the other September). If anyone is interested, please PM me. I would rather see someone have the use of them than throw them in the bin when they cost so much.

Good luck everyone!

Hi susan i would be interested in your offer . Did you notice a increase in cravings after stopping champix early. REGARDS JAMES

Hi rock garden,

Will PM you about the Champix.

I think I had SLIGHTLY stronger cravings the first day or two, but that could have been psychological. After 4 weeks of no fags or nicotine of any kind, I didn't have any nicotine left in my system. After a day or so (if that even), cravings were no difference than when taking Champix. I was worried because I'm sure they tell you to take a long course of the drug for a good reason (other than to make money out of you:D).

Maybe I am just a gullible consumer.......but I am a gullible consumer that has managed to kick a 30-year habit. This is someone who wouldn't go on a long-haul flight because of the thoughts of not smoking for 8 hours! I actually risked getting arrested for smoking in an airport loo last year when I realised they no longer had the smoking 'cubicle' near the departure gate and it was too late to go back:o. Being addicted to fags is a nightmare, and I am so glad that I am free. So far so good!

• Advertisement

susanweir wrote: »

Being addicted to fags is a nightmare, and I am so glad that I am free. So far so good!

Thank you for being so honest! I myself smoked for over 35 years and I do know, that even after being good for a long time does not prevent you from starting smoking again. I stopped for 3 years and then (stupid me) picked it up again.
    But now I am determined. My friend had parts of his lung removed and is still not back to his old self (diagnosed with lung cancer last March). And I got a warning shot myself, having a stroke last October. There is no way I am starting smoking again!!!!
    We all should be proud of us because we made the first step in admitting to being addicted!:) So lets keep fighting!

My hubby is now OFF the cigs.:cool::D

My hubby is now OFF the cigs.:cool::D

Well done to both of you! Keep going!!! You will get there and good luck!:D

Thanks connewitz, I'm in shock as I never thought he would stop.
    It will be better for his health as he has bad asmatha and has had to spend a lot of time in hospital in the last 18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Don't take that crap people, have you seen the long ass list of chantix champix side effects? It's borderline ridiculous. No, it IS ridiculous. There's been actual documented cases of suicide directly related to this drug. It affects how you think, ****. Why would this even be made? oh wait, right, money. BIG money. I suggest you look at healthier alternatives. My dad quit using electronic cigarettes, he simply reduced the nicotine strength over a few months and doesn't smoke at all anymore!

LMAO, someone pimping e-cigarettes taking a shot at the competitors for trying to make money.

Thanks connewitz, I'm in shock as I never thought he would stop.
    It will be better for his health as he has bad asmatha and has had to spend a lot of time in hospital in the last 18 months.

My partners sis is the same. Bad asthma, long hospital stays and on top of all is she a nurse. She really should know better, but as said before, it is an addiction! So well done again and keep posting. It has helped a lot of us on our way, just the talk with each other!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭DonnieL

I just wanted to wish all my friends in Ireland a HAPPY ST. PATRICKS DAY. next week, St. Paddy's Day, I'll be recuperating from cataract surgery. This is a beautiful item offered by Roma Downey. Enjoy! May God give you strength to overcome that nicotine addition!;):)
    http://www.andiesisle.com/ThisBlessingIsForYou.html

DonnieL wrote: »
    I just wanted to wish all my friends in Ireland a HAPPY ST. PATRICKS DAY. next week, St. Paddy's Day, I'll be recuperating from cataract surgery. This is a beautiful item offered by Roma Downey. Enjoy! May God give you strength to overcome that nicotine addition!;):)
    http://www.andiesisle.com/ThisBlessingIsForYou.html

Hallo Donnie! Thank you for all the good wishes! It is always very nice to hear from you.
    I do wish you the very best outcome for your eye surgery and may God bless you!:)

Hi connewitz how are you doing are you still free from the weed. Donniel best wishes for next week.

Hi connewitz how are you doing are you still free from the weed. Donniel best wishes for next week.

Yes, still going strong and no desire at all! Hope it will stay like this.
    How about you?;)

• Advertisement

Yes, still going strong and no desire at all! Hope it will stay like this.
    How about you?;)
    On champix since feb 18th off cigarettes since feb 28 2 weeks today Was feeling good till yesterday but a bit under pressure since . Trying to think positive but.

On champix since feb 18th off cigarettes since feb 28 2 weeks today Was feeling good till yesterday but a bit under pressure since . Trying to think positive but.

Hi rock garden!
    Please don`t give in! What ever is bugging you, it has nothing to do with giving up smoking. This is only in your head!
    I had to learn to cope with stress myself. The cigs were always quick on hand to help, but did they really help? No, after the smoke the problem was still there!
    Try to calm yourself and find a way to release the stress. I started with exercise and it helped immense, got me fit and kept the weight off as well.
    I just run through frust, anxiety and stress.
    Stay focused and I am sure you can do it!!!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 7dmcm

new poster to Board but needed a little support today. 3 weeks off the cigs today. On Champix and just renewed my prescription for next months course. Find it to be an amazing product. Only side effect is that I'm tired at night yet wake up at 4am and find it hard to get back to sleep. (unitl it's time to get up). Just on the cost of the champix don't forget each household only pays a maximum of €120 a month for prescription durgs on the Drug Payment Scheme regrdless of income. Therefore your champix should only cost €120 with all other prescriptions for your household free for that month. I think that if you purchase your second pack on the 1st of a month and your 3rd pack on the last day of the month the third should be free but that you'd have to check out and of course you would have to time your cessation correctly. Sometimes find it hard but only maybe for a few hours one day a week. Hopefully I'll stay off them. Have smoked for 20 year now and was on 20 a day. now on a big fat ZERO.

7dmcm wrote: »
    Just on the cost of the champix don't forget each household only pays a maximum of €120 a month for prescription durgs on the Drug Payment Scheme regrdless of income. Therefore your champix should only cost €120 with all other prescriptions for your household free for that month. I think that if you purchase your second pack on the 1st of a month and your 3rd pack on the last day of the month the third should be free but that you'd have to check out and of course you would have to time your cessation correctly. Sometimes find it hard but only maybe for a few hours one day a week. Hopefully I'll stay off them. Have smoked for 20 year now and was on 20 a day. now on a big fat ZERO.

Thank you very much for the input. Should come in handy for all the newbies!
    Welcome on our board and we will help you through the rough times.;)
    Many people have a disturbed sleep pattern for while, but it will go away!
    Did you had any weird dreams? As sick as this may sound, I do miss them. I was happy in this dreams and met people I had not seen in ages!:o
    Good luck to you and all the best!:)

I'm now at the 6 weeks mark, smoked my last cig 6 weeks ago today.

Hi everyone,

And well done Cazzie!

Am 10 weeks off them tomorrow night if I don't smoke tomorrow (I never take anything for granted!)

If anyone is interested, I have two 28-day packs of 1mg Champix that I won't use and don't want to go to waste (as I spent 120 euros on them)! If anyone is interested, pm me and you are welcome to them.

Happy, smoke-free, St Patrick's Day! :D

HI all will be off weeds 3 weeks tomorrow morning. Had a real battle since sunday till yesterday 6 real hard days but feel ok now . Strange how nicotine plays havoc with the human brain. Was off 4 years ago for 4 weeks and thought icould take 1 cig as everybody knows thats 1 thing that you cannot do. Really glad i stopped was smoking for 28 years about 25 a day. thanks for the support everybody.;)

HI all will be off weeds 3 weeks tomorrow morning. Had a real battle since sunday till yesterday 6 real hard days but feel ok now . Strange how nicotine plays havoc with the human brain. Was off 4 years ago for 4 weeks and thought icould take 1 cig as everybody knows thats 1 thing that you cannot do. Really glad i stopped was smoking for 28 years about 25 a day. thanks for the support everybody.;)

Well done and just keep going. You won one battle and this made you stronger for the next one. We are all with you!:D

Well done and just keep going. You won one battle and this made you stronger for the next one. We are all with you!:D
    Cheers connewitz but would like to thank the worst is over. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 7dmcm

4 weeks :D

Advertisement