Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champix aka Chantix/Varenicline

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭rock garden

Hi 7dmcm how are you finding things at this stage i will be off weeds 4 weeks on monday the 28th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 7dmcm

Finding it fine. The only problem I have is that if i think "i can never have a cigarette again" it gets to me. However, like all addictions i suppose, i just try to get through each day. This is not a problem apart from the above thought that i get about 5 times a day. I'm hoping that those thoughts reduce and my tiredness goes away.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭connewitz

7dmcm wrote: »
    Finding it fine. The only problem I have is that if i think "i can never have a cigarette again" it gets to me. However, like all addictions i suppose, i just try to get through each day. This is not a problem apart from the above thought that i get about 5 times a day. I'm hoping that those thoughts reduce and my tiredness goes away.

You are doing just fine! The cravings starve them self after a while. It all takes time! You were not smoking for one week only,you smoked for years, so you will not get rid of the feeling of loss this soon. This is all what is it really, a feeling of loss. Because the cigs were your best friends. Always there when you needed them most!!!!:rolleyes:
    Tiredness will subside as well. It took me nearly 2 weeks after finishing my champix treatment, to go back to a normal sleep pattern. Stick in there! The rewards are so great!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭buttonsflyie

To all the current quitter!!!!

Well done, keep up the good work, its tough, but so worth it....................

I will be 7 months off them on the 1st of April and I have taken up jogging, with no pains in my lungs at all and I feel so much healthier.

The carvings still come every so often, especially if its something that I haven't done since quitting and associate it with smoking!!!!

So keep going it is so worth it

Clara

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭DonnieL

Wow, it's great to check in and see all the positive posts. As Connewitz knows I've been off those things for over 2 years with absolutely no cravings. But, I do have dreams that I'm sitting out in my patio with a drink and puffing away. And as I said before, it's so great to wake up and realize it was just a dream!! As Connewitz also said about those things being your best friends is SO TRUE! They were there for you when you needed to relieve a stressful time, through grieving times, and to just tune out and relax. But, you pay a hell of a price both health wise and $$$ or Euro wise!;) Keep up the GREAT work!!!:D
    HOPE YOU ALL HAD A SMOKE FREE ST. PADDY'S DAY!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭susanweir

7dmcm wrote: »
    I'm the same - it's the sense of finality that gets to me. And I can't help envying people in beer gardens smoking and having a pint!:mad:
    Still, 11 weeks today and going strong. Now feel ready to tackle the weight I have gained over the last 11 weeks!;)

DonnieL wrote: »
    Wow, it's great to check in and see all the positive posts. As Connewitz knows I've been off those things for over 2 years with absolutely no cravings. But, I do have dreams that I'm sitting out in my patio with a drink and puffing away. And as I said before, it's so great to wake up and realize it was just a dream!! As Connewitz also said about those things being your best friends is SO TRUE! They were there for you when you needed to relieve a stressful time, through grieving times, and to just tune out and relax. But, you pay a hell of a price both health wise and $$$ or Euro wise!;) Keep up the GREAT work!!!:D
    HOPE YOU ALL HAD A SMOKE FREE ST. PADDY'S DAY!!

Thank you very much, as always! Hope you are well and everything is in best order again! Love to hear from you now and then. You were my stronghold and you still are!!!!:)

susanweir wrote: »
    I
    Still, 11 weeks today and going strong. Now feel ready to tackle the weight I have gained over the last 11 weeks!;)

Good work! Keep it up! I did not gain one gram in 11 months (after giving up smoking) but now it starts to creep up. I am on a routine of swimming and cross trainer running. Maybe I build up more muscle by now. Not really worried about it, I am much healthier than I was before and I can run and swim for hours without fainting!!! Great!!! It is so worth it and the savings are good as well!;)

Thanks Connewitz,

Am trying to increase my activity level and decrease my calorie intake. Well done on being so fit!

susanweir wrote: »
    Thanks Connewitz,

Am trying to increase my activity level and decrease my calorie intake. Well done on being so fit!

If you really want to keep track of your calorie intake - there is a site on the net under www.caloriecount.com. I tried it for about 4 months and it helped me a lot. Could see if what I was eating was healthy or just junk. It is a little bit annoying to put everything into your online chart, but at the end of the day you really did stick to your calorie goal and on top of it you can see the nutrients in your food. Just a thought so, no pressure!;)
    I was fit my whole life and got a little lazy after moving to Ireland (house built, garden and so on). But now I do have a routine and stick to it.
    Had last year a stroke and the GP said, that my healthier life style saved me from long lasting effects. Now I do only suffer from weak hands (no strength) and sometimes memory loss. But better than being paralyzed!:)
    Good luck to you and we are all here to help each other! No question too dumb, thats the beauty of the anonymous board!:rolleyes: I do apologize for my bad grammar. Sometimes the German grammar just takes over. SORRY!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Hi, well I accidently lost my link to the boards ie link. Fortunately, because I had been in email contact with one of the "quitters" on the link, he was able to send me the link to get back in.
    Connewitz, that calorie count site sounds like the same one I used to shed the 30 lbs. I'm still on my treadmill everyday also!

Hi, well I accidently lost my link to the boards ie link. Fortunately, because I had been in email contact with one of the "quitters" on the link, he was able to send me the link to get back in.
    Connewitz, that calorie count site sounds like the same one I used to shed the 30 lbs. I'm still on my treadmill everyday also!

It is the same site! I thought, why not use your and my good experience with it and share it with others!
    Just have to take it a little easier on the sweating part. Got a skin infection, which becomes very bad after sweating. Do more swimming now.:)
    But I do admire your will! Just keep it going and I am sure you will outlive all of us!;)
    By the way - in only 17 days I will be one year without the smokes! Yeepee!!!!!!

Connewitz you're an absolute inspiration to all of our fellow quitters out there! KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!!!:D

Connewitz you're an absolute inspiration to all of our fellow quitters out there! KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!!!:D

A very humble thank you for your praise! It is really only what I did learn from you, so the thanks belongs to you!!!!!!!!!!:D
    If you would have not be so awesome, I might have struggled more. But to give them up in your age, start a diet and running - WOW!:cool:
    So I did say to myself, I can follow in this footsteps and this is what I have done. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 7dmcm

8 weeks and getting easier.......:D

It will get easier with every day. Near my first anniversary of non smoking!
    Have no more urges just sometimes the odd feeling, that there was something I used to do, like when I am stressed out or bored!:o
    But it gets not really a grip on me.
    Good luck to you!!!!:)

Is anybody still trying to stop smoking or is there a writing lethargy amongst us?:(
    I am now in my second year!:D Had my first anniversary on the 27th of April!
    So happy!!!! And I am sure, I made it this time.
    Still get the odd pang, but it is more like: A cigarette? I don`t smoke anymore! (Shaking my head in disbelief.:rolleyes:)
    So how are the rest of you?
    Don`t let this thread dry out - I am sure that we can help a lot of newbies to dump the habit.
    Together we are strong!:D

connewitz wrote: »
    Is anybody still trying to stop smoking or is there a writing lethargy amongst us?:(
    I am now in my second year!:D Had my first anniversary on the 27th of April!
    So happy!!!! And I am sure, I made it this time.
    Still get the odd pang, but it is more like: A cigarette? I don`t smoke anymore! (Shaking my head in disbelief.:rolleyes:)
    So how are the rest of you?
    Don`t let this thread dry out - I am sure that we can help a lot of newbies to dump the habit.
    Together we are strong!:D
    Hey connewitz!

At last, a voice in the wilderness! I was wondering where everyone had gone too. Sincere congratulations on your first anniversary - you must be (and should be) really proud. I will be 4 months off them next saturday (assuming I don't smoke between now and then). So there's at least two of here!

Would love to hear from any others still trying!

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

Hi, all and especially you Connewitz . I have to say you are right about not letting the thread die(I could have been R.I.P WITHOUT IT):eek: because it has helped me stop smoking and is still helping because I look in now and then just to see how everybody is keeping.;)

Connewitz is right! Let's not get complacent! I started on this thread 2 years and 3 months ago. (but who's counting) Needless to say it was instrumental in keeping me off the cigarettes!!
    Yesterday I ran into a neighbor at the Market we were talking and he mentioned he quit smoking. I asked how he was doing and by what means had he quit. He said he started the Chantix/Champix program and that he's been on it for a little over 3 weeks with no side effects to date. So of course I'm going to give him my full support!;)
    As Connewitz and TerenC says, this has come to far to let it die now! Please keep it going!:D

• Advertisement

Love you all!!!!!!!!!:D
    Really thought, we lost it and the thread is a goner.:eek:
    I hope that you, Susan, withstand all the temptations thrown at you. It is hard, but you are strong and will make it. ;)
    Terence, I do remember you from my time as a newbie. Where you not around the same time as Donnie? Thank you very much for your reply!
    And DONNIE, you are the senior on this thread now. I hope you don`t get me wrong now, but I did always wonder what happen`d to "Poutbutton". The two of you were just so good!:o
    I wish all of you the very best and please keep this beautiful and helpful thread alive!

Thanks Connewitz, I think of Poutbutton often and wonder how at what she's doing. Her and I started in this thread at the same time. Keep up the great work! I've actually become a facebook friend with someone from the thread there in Ireland. It's been a grand journey!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭gramlab

Almost the 3 month mark for me. On the champix but I've sort of forgot to take them over the last 2 weeks or so and I'm still going OK.

I work for the company that makes champix. Had free access to patches, gum, lozenges etc., over the years and nothing worked for me. The pill seems to be the one for me - maybe because I had to pay for it;)

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

gramlab wrote: »
    Almost the 3 month mark for me. On the champix but I've sort of forgot to take them over the last 2 weeks or so and I'm still going OK.

Well done gramlab I would say you are over the worst but be on your guard has its still early days, I still get the twang to have just one, what harm can that be:eek: and thats coming up to the 2 year mark.
    I tried everything like you did but the champix helped me break the habit and been able to link in with people further down the road then me. People supporting people really works in a positive way when it comes to quitting the smoking habit.

Hey amigos!

Nice to hear from you all. And Gramlab - well done - you are doing brilliantly!

I was beginning to wonder if everyone had relapsed.......as I came close myself.

Didn't though... smoke free for almost 4 months....and counting.

Great work Gramlab and Susanweir! Keep it up! Connewitz and Terenc have been great about keeping this thread going. I've been off those dasterdly things for 2 1/2 years now but whose counting!?!? ha! ha! Keep up the great work and check in now and then to keep us posted on your progress!!:D

gramlab wrote: »

I work for the company that makes champix. Had free access to patches, gum, lozenges etc., over the years and nothing worked for me. The pill seems to be the one for me - maybe because I had to pay for it;)

It does not matter if you work for them or not, all what counts is that you are smoke free since 3 months. Well done and stick with it. Saves you a hell of money and you will feel the benefits very soon.

Thanks god, I never relapsed. But as I said, sometimes i do get a pang out of the blue and wonder why on earth would I have a smoke now?
    It is very strange how addiction has changed the way our brain is functioning. And scary as hell!!!

Thanks Connewitz, I think of Poutbutton often and wonder how at what she's doing. Her and I started in this thread at the same time. Keep up the great work! I've actually become a facebook friend with someone from the thread there in Ireland. It's been a grand journey!:D

It is a shame that you lost the contact to her. She was a really funny person and I did like her comments a lot.
    But nice to see, that you are still in contact with one of the board users!
    The next thing to do is - hop on a plane and come to Ireland. We will have a giant party with all the people from this thread!:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Rolling past 2 years in June. It does get much easier although there are the odd days where it's VERY hard [for no apparent reason].

Greetings to all.

Advertisement