Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champix aka Chantix/Varenicline

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 hellomynameis

3 weeks 4 days & going strong, its my 1st time giving up so never tried any other alternatives, my doctor told me that it takes up to 12 tries for the average person so not to worry if i failed, lol thanks for he support doc

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

3 weeks 4 days & going strong, its my 1st time giving up so never tried any other alternatives, my doctor told me that it takes up to 12 tries for the average person so not to worry if i failed, lol thanks for he support doc

Well done on your 1st time of giving up the dreaded weed , keep it going :D:D everybody is different and anything you take to help you gave up the habit ( don't get complacent) is great and as Donnie would say just get back on that horse again if you stumble.

Hi RangeR.
    Great to hear from you and still hanging on in there, will we ever not think of smoking again?I think it goes with the whole ethos of quitting , I was there but inner strength wins through in the end and the longer your off the feckers the stronger you become.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭connewitz

RangeR wrote: »
    Rolling past 2 years in June. It does get much easier although there are the odd days where it's VERY hard [for no apparent reason].

Greetings to all.

Long time no hear!:D
    Nice to see, that you are still showing interest in the thread!
    Congrats to being still a non-smoker.:)
    Let us know about the party in June.;)

Great to hear, there is a newbie with us again!:D
    Terenc and Donnie are right, if you fall of the horse, shake yourself and get on it again. But I must say, that there is a very small amount of people which did not stop smoking after using champix. And the most of them had really nasty side effects.
    You have to see for yourself. Good work so far. Keep it going!!!!!!!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭puddles22

into my third week now, decided to come off the champix at the start of my third week, its like im a different person at the moment , so on edge, cranky, unfocused, lethargic, body aching i mean wtf! went for an acupuncture session this morning that has helped a bit.

puddles22 wrote: »
    into my third week now, decided to come off the champix at the start of my third week, its like im a different person at the moment , so on edge, cranky, unfocused, lethargic, body aching i mean wtf! went for an acupuncture session this morning that has helped a bit.
    Hi puddles ,
    reminds me a little of myself but not quite has bad ,I thought of doing the same but in the end I used the 28 day supply but split the tablets in half in fourth week sort of weaned myself of them instead of just stopping.
    I went through a bad patch but it got easier the longer I was off THEM.
    Keep going.:D:D:D

puddles22 wrote: »

There will be some bad times. Many of us had this problem, but hang in there. It is worth it. Think of it like going to Rehab. Even the celebs have a hard time there. I still believe, that everybody can do it, it needs a iron will and if it is so bad as you say, speak with your GP. I am sure, he/she will help you!:)
    Good luck!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭sparks24

well god bless the medical card got my champix today, dropped my first pill a while ago so lets see what happens best of luck everyone!!! :D

sparks24 wrote: »
    well god bless the medical card got my champix today, dropped my first pill a while ago so lets see what happens best of luck everyone!!! :D

Best of luck sparks in starting your champix treatment, keep us keyed into how it goes and use this thread to support you in your battle against cigarettes, God how I hate them:mad:.
    Every second,minute, hour ,day you are without a smoke it will get easier to say I don't need them.

• Advertisement

sparks24 wrote: »

I got mine on medicard as well. Saves a hell of money.;)
    Let us know how you get on and if you have a bad moment - we are all here to help!:D

terenc wrote: »
    Best of luck sparks in starting your champix treatment, keep us keyed into how it goes and use this thread to support you in your battle against cigarettes, God how I hate them:mad:.
    Every second,minute, hour ,day you are without a smoke it will get easier to say I don't need them.

Could not have said it better! Thanks for supporting the newbies!

I cut my pill in half aswell because i was constantly tired and the stomach upset was lasting a lot longer than a half an hour even with food but now i seem to be getting more cravings, it could all be in my head because i know the dose is halved i guess, how long is the treatment suppose to last and do you have to complete it or are there success stories with only completing a month?

I cut my pill in half aswell because i was constantly tired and the stomach upset was lasting a lot longer than a half an hour even with food but now i seem to be getting more cravings, it could all be in my head because i know the dose is halved i guess, how long is the treatment suppose to last and do you have to complete it or are there success stories with only completing a month?
    HI hello
    Well done on getting this far, I completed one month and it worked for me but everybody is different and hopefully you'll pull through , thinking back when I was at that stage the cravings were always their but I seem to be able to handle it lot better then at any other time I tried to gave them up maybe because them initial first weeks were so important to me of not smoking and I kept thinking back every time the craving came back, coughing at night time coming down the stairs thinking Ill have a smoke and the coughing might stop. (sick or what:rolleyes:) I didn't want to go back there and then suddenly the craving was gone, all I can say it will get less frequent as time moves.
    Hope this helps keep us posted.

HI hello
    Well done on getting this far, I completed one month and it worked for me but everybody is different and hopefully you'll pull through , thinking back when I was at that stage the cravings were always their but I seem to be able to handle it lot better then at any other time I tried to gave them up maybe because them initial first weeks were so important to me of not smoking and I kept thinking back every time the craving came back, coughing at night time coming down the stairs thinking Ill have a smoke and the coughing might stop. (sick or what:rolleyes:) I didn't want to go back there and then suddenly the craving was gone, all I can say it will get less frequent as time moves.
    Hope this helps keep us posted.

Hi terenc, thanks for that, ya it seems to be fine now, just had a bad morning, ill never go back to smoking, the craving isnt ever bad enough to make me actually pick one up so heres hoping it stays that way, im looking forward to the less frequent days ,this thread is a great support, well done to everyone that has quit

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭susanweir

Hi there hellomynameis,

I stopped taking Champix after a month. I couldn't stand the side effects. Will be off the cigs 4 months tomorrow.:D I think all the nicotine was out of my system by the end of the first month so I din't notice any increase in cravings. Hope this helps! Good luck!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Back again-forgot all about this thread.....after over a year back on the cigs Ive just gotten another script for Zyban this time.

As you may remember I had some severe side effects from Champix so much so that the doc said to stop immediately.Depression,suicidal kinda thoughts, severe mood swings.

I was succesful on zyban before (off the cigs for over a year before a close friend died suddenly and the first thing I did was reach for a cig) and had very few side effects.So Im sitting here looking at the 2 months supply and very nervous of starting to take them.The doc says he`ll monitor me a lot closer this time--probably on a weekly basis.

So wish me luck--I going to start the course on Monday so quit day will be 10 days after that.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Back again-forgot all about this thread.....after over a year back on the cigs Ive just gotten another script for Zyban this time.

As you may remember I had some severe side effects from Champix so much so that the doc said to stop immediately.Depression,suicidal kinda thoughts, severe mood swings.

I was succesful on zyban before (off the cigs for over a year before a close friend died suddenly and the first thing I did was reach for a cig) and had very few side effects.So Im sitting here looking at the 2 months supply and very nervous of starting to take them.The doc says he`ll monitor me a lot closer this time--probably on a weekly basis.

So wish me luck--I going to start the course on Monday so quit day will be 10 days after that.
    Wellcome aboard Hellrazer,
    You wont be the first or last person to fall of the horse but that you have the strenght to get back in the saddle and gave it another shot is fantastic and whatever works for you is the way to go and I wish you the best in your efforts has do all the people who are part of this thread
    Roll on MONDAY.:D

So wish me luck--I going to start the course on Monday so quit day will be 10 days after that.[/QUOTE]

Wellcome aboard Hellrazer,
    you wont be the first or last person to fall of the horse but that you have the strenght to get back in the saddle and gave it another shot is fantastic and whatever works for you is the way to go and I wish you the best in your efforts has do all the people who are part of this thread
    Roll on MONDAY.:D

how long is the treatment suppose to last and do you have to complete it or are there success stories with only completing a month?

Like terenc said, it is depending on each individual. I took 2 months the full dosage and in the last month I took 1 week long only half the dosage and then stopped completely. Worked wonders for me.
    Had this tiredness and sickness as well. But it is a small price to pay for all the rewards following.
    Took my tablets always with food and made sure, I did ate a good portion. I actually ate more than before, but at this early stage you don`t put on weight. Maybe you try to eat a bit more.
    For sleepless nights - try to drink "Horlicks". I know it is not everybodys cup of tea, but it helps a bit to go to sleep. Woke up a lot in the middle of the night, but this was gone after I finished the champix.
    Just try to cope with the side effects.
    It is definitely worth it!;)

• Advertisement

susanweir wrote: »
    Will be off the cigs 4 months tomorrow.:D

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!
    Well done! The cravings will stick around. We were addicts and the temptations will be always around.
    I started after 3 years again (stupid me)! So be vigilant all the time!
    We have a long fight on our hands!;)

I do remember your posts! You really had a very bad time under champix. But fair play to you, that you picked yourself up again and want to give it another try!!!
    My friend in Germany stopped with zyban. This is actually an anti-depressiva, so you should have no depressions at all. And if the doc is monitoring you closely, you should be okay.
    We are all so different, no need to get upset if we fall off the horse. One can take a months supply and is free of the cigs (like terenc) and others have to fight much harder and longer. I do wish you the very best and hope that the zyban kicks in where the champix failed. Keep us posted! We are with you in this!;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

connewitz wrote: »
    I do remember your posts! You really had a very bad time under champix. But fair play to you, that you picked yourself up again and want to give it another try!!!

Thanks for that.I wanted another prescription straight away but the GP wouldnt even consider it until it was completely out of my system which can take up to 6 months apparently and there was no way he was giving me champix again.
    His reckoning is that Im one of the 0.5-1% that get severe side effects including depression etc.Apparently people have commited suicide on this stuff but again its those people that fall into that this bracket and who are pre-disposed to depression.I was never depressed in my life until I took this.
    My friend in Germany stopped with zyban. This is actually an anti-depressiva, so you should have no depressions at all. And if the doc is monitoring you closely, you should be okay.

I think the fact that Zyban is an anti-depressant was the reason I was able to stop the last time on Zyban and th fact that Im going to be monitored closely should help.

Ive also been told that for health reasons I need to stop smoking--Diagnosed recently with a stomach ulcer thats not healing with the recommended medication due to me continuing to smoke and its either stop smoking soon or it could be surgery to treat the ulcer.If I manage to stop and give my stomach a chance to heal on its own with the meds then I wont need the surgery and I really dont fancy a couple of weeks stay in an Irish hospital :(:(

Ive also been told that for health reasons I need to stop smoking--Diagnosed recently with a stomach ulcer thats not healing with the recommended medication due to me continuing to smoke and its either stop smoking soon or it could be surgery to treat the ulcer.If I manage to stop and give my stomach a chance to heal on its own with the meds then I wont need the surgery and I really dont fancy a couple of weeks stay in an Irish hospital :(:([/QUOTE]

Hi Hellraiser I really hope you do it this time,I haven't mentioned this on the thread before but 2 month after I gave uo smoking I got stomach problems really bad reflux I nearly blamed my Gavin up smoking has the cause any went to my doc and he sent me for a stomach test(camera)
    They showed me a picture of the tissue in my stomach wasn't pretty hard to describe the doctor told that cigs were the main cause ok they were certain other foods and drink that wouldn't help(Barrett's disease). I suppose ulcers were next and a good Chance of getting cancer I went on medication.(nexazole)
    Any way last Thursday 5th I went back again, after the procedure they showed me another photo It wasn't good but I recognized tissue and was delighted when they downgraded it to 2 (IT WAS 3). I have to say the doctors seem to be taking a greater interest in my condition maybe because Iam trying to do something positive about it. But like yourself I dont want go to hospital,I have two young children who adore me in all honesty I don't want to die making cigarettes companies rich.
    Thats what cigarettes have done to me but never say its to late its never to late.:):)
    Best of luck Hellraiser and everybody reading this thread GO FOR IT.

Well done Susan:):):):) your rocking:).

Ive also been told that for health reasons I need to stop smoking--Diagnosed recently with a stomach ulcer thats not healing with the recommended medication due to me continuing to smoke and its either stop smoking soon or it could be surgery to treat the ulcer.If I manage to stop and give my stomach a chance to heal on its own with the meds then I wont need the surgery and I really dont fancy a couple of weeks stay in an Irish hospital :(:(

I had very big trouble with ulcers in Germany, but the meds worked fine and so I never really bothered to quit smoking. In 1998 I did land in hospital with pain out of this world. After a ultrasound the doc told me, that I had a break in the lining of my stomach and it was bleeding into my stomach and other body cavities. Was hooked to a trip for 2 weeks, got no food and drink. After the 2 weeks I was allowed to eat soft white bread and soft cheese. All what I was allowed to drink was herbal tea. (I did not mind, drink it all the time.) After being out of the hospital I did not smoke for 6 months. And then, one party later I was a smoker again. So stupid and no respect for my own health.
    Just could not quit. :o
    I consider myself as living healthy. Right food and lots of exercise. But the smokes nearly killed me and I would not admit to it. I rather blamed stress for it. Only as a friend of mine was diagnosed with lung cancer, I took the right step.
    Thanks to champix I am now smoke free and I will do all I can, to stay like this.

But like yourself I dont want go to hospital,I have two young children who adore me in all honesty I don't want to die making cigarettes companies rich.
    Thats what cigarettes have done to me but never say its to late its never to late.:):)
    Best of luck Hellraiser and everybody reading this thread GO FOR IT.

Hi terenc!
    Two young kids are more than only a reason to stick around. Love them, see them grow up, help them to make the right decisions.... ENJOY THE TIME WITH YOUR KIDS!!!!!:):D
    Its never too late to change your life for the better.
    We all done it and a lot of people will follow (I honestly hope so!). There is so much to live for. My partner and I are living in very dire financial conditions, but there are days I would not miss for anything! A lot of things still to do and a lot of places still to see!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭susanweir

Hi Connewitz,

I love your attitude! You are an inspiration!

How are we all doing? Connewitz? Terence? Hellrazer? Hellomynameis?

Have decided to tackle the weight I have gained since quitting. So, as well as not smoking, I can't eat or drink what I want anymore either. Life stinks! (but at least I don't!!!!):D

susanweir wrote: »
    Hi Connewitz,

I love your attitude! You are an inspiration!

How are we all doing? Connewitz? Terence? Hellrazer? Hellomynameis?

Have decided to tackle the weight I have gained since quitting. So, as well as not smoking, I can't eat or drink what I want anymore either. Life stinks! (but at least I don't!!!!):D

Great to hear from you,
    Cant gave you any advice on weight has I was a skinny git when I stopped and if anything needed to put on a few kilos and when I do start eating really well my stomach fecks up:D .
    I hope every one is doing well , Hellraiser was going for Monday , thumbs up:):).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Tip

Great to hear from you,
    Cant gave you any advice on weight has I was a skinny git when I stopped and if anything needed to put on a few kilos and when I do start eating really well my stomach fecks up:D .
    I hope every one is doing well , Hellraiser was going for Monday , thumbs
    up:):).

Just checking in on thread, I am coming up to my 2yr Anniversary. Terenc and Connewit ye were both on when I quit !!!!!!!!!!!. Stick with it as it does get much easier. I know as an addict I will always need to remain vigilant. Don't miss them a jot. I can't believe I just wrote that but it is the truth. Now weight gain became a real issue put on 2 stone, I am on a diet at mo and have 1 gone but 1 still to go. There is nothing to regret after giving up smoking. I feel and look years younger. After 35 yrs smoking if I can quit and survive so can anybody. Good luck to you all. Oh Yes I do have one regret and that's why did'nt I do it years before, I've spent a fortune trying to save my teeth due to gum disease from smoking.

Advertisement