Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champix aka Chantix/Varenicline

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

cars701 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone - reading the posts wish I was further along - DAY 3 on CHAMPIX - tomorrow is the start of two tabs per day - smoked far less last night. Fingers crossed. Keep thinking about my children (I've 3) which is motivating me. Good luck to everyone today.
    Well done cars 701, on starting out on your journey and believe the longer it lasts the easier it will become, just keep thinking of your beautiful children which is a great motivator so well done again:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭cars701

Thanks for the encouragement Terenc. Day 4 of Champix..... two tabs today..... wonder what I'll feel like....... find I'm getting very tired in the evening wonder if its the Champix or stress ! Could have went to bed before the kids last night. Waking up very early too about 5.30 / 6.00am. Will keep ya'll posted. Hope everyone doing good today and sticking with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭connewitz

Thanks for the encouragement Terenc. Day 4 of Champix..... two tabs today..... wonder what I'll feel like....... find I'm getting very tired in the evening wonder if its the Champix or stress ! Could have went to bed before the kids last night. Waking up very early too about 5.30 / 6.00am. Will keep ya'll posted. Hope everyone doing good today and sticking with it.

Looks like you are getting firsts signs of withdrawal and the champix is kicking in. The most of us complaint about disturbed sleeping patterns, will go away.Have patience and try to concentrate on the good things and the end result. Your kids are worth every bit of the pain!!!!!!!!!:)

Thanks Connewitz..... have to do it this time.... I'm not getting any younger..... wishing my life away at the moment ! Really appreciate the encouragement it makes such a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

Hi,

was off them for just over a year after using champix and was doing great until i stupitly had a puff in a drunken state at a wedding now back smoking with the last 3 months (sickening i know).

So now i want to try champix again to get off them but will i get the same effect 2nd time around?

Any of ye taking them for a 2nd time how did it work out ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Jennie2011

Day 3 on Champix and already 'forgetting' to smoke :) yesterday I was so tired I slept most of the day and also had headache. Today however I feel great, no side effects except for a feeling of calm. Have only smoked 4 cigs today but had no craving for them, was just out of habit, also got nothing from them except a heaviness in the chest, they just seemed pointless.
    I have tried many other methods in the past to quit my 20 a day, 20 year addiction but I really feel that Champix is going to work for me.
    Good luck to everyone!

Hi Jennie 2011 - you're at about the same stage as me. Day 4 today on Champix. Although you seem to be doing better than me.... have the sleepy thing goin on too. Good luck. Hopefully we'll stick with it.

Hi Gustafo. Well done you for climbing back on the wagon, so to speak. It's years since I tried to give up but giving Champix a go (first time). Hopefully will work for you again, would be interesting to see anyone who has taken it more than once. Good luck and stick with it.

gustafo wrote: »
    Hi,

was off them for just over a year after using champix and was doing great until i stupitly had a puff in a drunken state at a wedding now back smoking with the last 3 months (sickening i know).

So now i want to try champix again to get off them but will i get the same effect 2nd time around?

Well done gustafo and hopefully you will succeed this time it has happened to me a couple of times where I let my guard down and I was back smoking again and every time it happened I ended up been a heavier smoker.I haven't came across any one on a second time of using champix but if you succeeded the first time and they worked for you I don't see why they wouldent be ok 2nd time round but if in doubt check it out with your doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭susanweir

Hi Gustafo. Well done you for climbing back on the wagon, so to speak. It's years since I tried to give up but giving Champix a go (first time). Hopefully will work for you again, would be interesting to see anyone who has taken it more than once. Good luck and stick with it.

Hi guys,

I took Champix before about three years ago and 'quit' (with the VERY occasional cheating cig) for about 6 months. I went back on them at a wedding when I had a few too many drinks. I started again in January this year and haven't had a single puff since. Off them completely for 5 and a half months now, with no nicotine substitutes. And I certainly attribute the success at the start to Champix, but I found I couldn't keep taking it this time because of the side effects. As a 20-a day smoker since I was 16 (that is, ahem, smoking for 30 years) I have to say I think it is a miracle drug. That's my opinion anyway.;)

• Advertisement

Hi Jennie 2011 - you're at about the same stage as me. Day 4 today on Champix. Although you seem to be doing better than me.... have the sleepy thing goin on too. Good luck. Hopefully we'll stick with it.
    Jennie2011 wrote: »
    Day 3 on Champix and already 'forgetting' to smoke :) yesterday I was so tired I slept most of the day and also had headache. Today however I feel great, no side effects except for a feeling of calm. Have only smoked 4 cigs today but had no craving for them, was just out of habit, also got nothing from them except a heaviness in the chest, they just seemed pointless.
    I have tried many other methods in the past to quit my 20 a day, 20 year addiction but I really feel that Champix is going to work for me.
    Good luck to everyone!
    Hi Jennie 2011 and cars 701,
    I sort of went through that sleepy period (a chilled out feeling)but it did past and my sleep patterns were unusual with dreams but on the plus side my coughing stopped at nighttime and I was at the stage where I was getting up to have a smoke to stop coughing:eek:and that was an immediate effect of not smoking, I made a mental note or write it down of all the positive stuff that was happening to me when I stopped smoking just to counter balance stuff with the champix (champix won). So well done and rock on:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16 NoraG

Went and got my prescription today.....have had one too many bronchitis attacks in the last 3 years. I have been smoking since I was 15...(ahem 37 years a smoker). Found this brilliant thread and you are all so good to help one another. I do not intend to go off the cigs until middle of July because I really have to prepare myself...I hope you will all be there for me...and congrats to those who have quit and to those who are trying...

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Timfy

Hi all,

just thought I'd pop in and tip me hat!!!

Started the Champix 2 days ago and so far no side effects (I know, early days!!!) I have smoked less today (about 25 instead of the normal forty) without consciously making any effort.

I've smoked since 1984 and was up to 40 a day, even after I suffered a minor stroke. :(

I've spent a few hours reading through this thread and it's been a great help. I look forward to spending a bit of time here and boring you with how my own effort is going ;)

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Hi all
    Great to have so much company doing this :) ended up smoking ten smokes today but put most out half way thru, mainly because I don't get a hit off them any more which I suppose is the point of chamix. Still feel a little off sorts and have very little appetite. Has anyone been drinking while on them? And if so any effect?
    Have set fri week 24th June as quit date so I'll have the weekend off work for first couple of days. Will see how I get on when I'm on full dosage and maybe quit earlier.
    Best of luck to everyone :)

gustafo wrote: »
    Hi,

I am not completely sure of it, but I do think, there was someone on this thread using the champix for a second time. I think he/she got a rest of tablets from a friend and after starting to smoke again, went to the doc and got them a second time. Not sure if he/she stopped. But give it a try. I do remember your posts. A good few of the "old" fighters are still on this thread. Help and encouragement are here for you!!! Come on, give it a second try!!!!:D

Hi all
    Great to have so much company doing this :) ended up smoking ten smokes today but put most out half way thru, mainly because I don't get a hit off them any more which I suppose is the point of chamix. Still feel a little off sorts and have very little appetite. Has anyone been drinking while on them? And if so any effect?
    Have set fri week 24th June as quit date so I'll have the weekend off work for first couple of days. Will see how I get on when I'm on full dosage and maybe quit earlier.

Hi Jennie, yes the support is great; outta sorts myself; find that I don't really want to smoke but just doing it out of habit; feeling a sensation in the back of my throat like I've smoked too much, but in fact I haven't! Yes I've had a few glasses of red wine (one thing at a time eh! ), no effect with Champix. I've set 26th June as quit date but think I'll probably quit before then. Hopefully. Good luck to everyone today.

Thanks Connewitz..... have to do it this time.... I'm not getting any younger..... wishing my life away at the moment ! Really appreciate the encouragement it makes such a difference.

I stopped smoking with 52 after 35 years as a smoker. The oldest on this thread is 76 years and stopped only 2 years ago. You are NEVER to old to quit an addiction!!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

connewitz wrote: »
    I am not completely sure of it, but I do think, there was someone on this thread using the champix for a second time. I think he/she got a rest of tablets from a friend and after starting to smoke again, went to the doc and got them a second time. Not sure if he/she stopped. But give it a try. I do remember your posts. A good few of the "old" fighters are still on this thread. Help and encouragement are here for you!!! Come on, give it a second try!!!!:D

Cheers dude i'm kicking myself ever time i put a smoke to my lips but it's such an addiction it's so hard to stop but i have the right frame of mind now again to try and stop again, ill head to my doctor this morning and have a talk with him to see what he recommends.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Good luck to everyone!

Well done! Keep it going and you will never look back. We are a great bunch here and always encouraging each other. Keep us posted! Good luck to you!:D

NoraG wrote: »
    Went and got my prescription today.....have had one too many bronchitis attacks in the last 3 years. I have been smoking since I was 15...(ahem 37 years a smoker). Found this brilliant thread and you are all so good to help one another. I do not intend to go off the cigs until middle of July because I really have to prepare myself...I hope you will all be there for me...and congrats to those who have quit and to those who are trying...

Well done! First step is the most difficult one! You made it! See you in July!!!!:D

• Advertisement

Timfy wrote: »
    Hi all,

Started the Champix 2 days ago and so far no side effects (I know, early days!!!) I have smoked less today (about 25 instead of the normal forty) without consciously making any effort.

I've smoked since 1984 and was up to 40 a day, even after I suffered a minor stroke. :(

I've spent a few hours reading through this thread and it's been a great help. I look forward to spending a bit of time here and boring you with how my own effort is going ;)

Well done Timfy. I find if I read these threads daily (more than once a day!!!!) it gives me great encouragement to stick with it and reinforces that it's the right thing to do NOW not LATER (even though I know this !!!!); I've smoked since I was 16 about 30 a day, sometimes more if I've people over or if I'm out. Stick with it; I'm on day 5 today and it's getting easier.

Timfy wrote: »
    Hi all,

Suffered a stroke last year in October after quitting in April! But the doc told me, that this was a big mile stone in my life. If I did not had quit before, I would have had a lot more severe damage to my brain. Got away with just a scare and trouble with my memory. So stick with the champix and please bore us!!!:D:D:D

Hi all
    Has anyone been drinking while on them? And if so any effect?

If you want a bit of advice, stay away from alcohol for a while! It is the big motivation killer and a lot of us know what this means - one smoke at a party while tippsy and back on the smokes we were again! So if you are serious about quitting - just don`t drink alcohol for a while. It will help you a lot on your way!;)

Hi Jennie, yes the support is great; outta sorts myself; find that I don't really want to smoke but just doing it out of habit; feeling a sensation in the back of my throat like I've smoked too much, but in fact I haven't! Yes I've had a few glasses of red wine (one thing at a time eh! ), no effect with Champix. I've set 26th June as quit date but think I'll probably quit before then. Hopefully. Good luck to everyone today.

Just had a smoke with my morning coffee, also just out of habit, have no craving to smoke, it's breaking this habit which will be the hardest. Day 4 today so will be first day taking another tab in the evening. Tiredness is gone and now looking forward to a couple of drinks at take that tomorrow night :) hopefully that will be my last night out as a smoker and will no longer have to worry about where the smoking area is! Roll on the quit dates and we can really see what this stuff and our will power is made of :) positive thinking!!

Well done! Keep it going and you will never look back. We are a great bunch here and always encouraging each other. Keep us posted! Good luck to you!:D

Thanks a mil for your support and big congrats on your success!!

If you want a bit of advice, stay away from alcohol for a while! It is the big motivation killer and a lot of us know what this means - one smoke at a party while tippsy and back on the smokes we were again! So if you are serious about quitting - just don`t drink alcohol for a while. It will help you a lot on your way!;)

Thanks for the advice, I won't be touching alcohol for a while aftery quit date, it has been my downfall in the past

Thanks a mil for your support and big congrats on your success!!

You are the one who decided to stop! So congrats to you!;)
    If you should have time, then read through this thread and I do swear you will laughing, cringe and sometimes feel sad. It is going on for so long now and we could write a book about it. So many human stories in here!:)

I stopped smoking with 52 after 35 years as a smoker. The oldest on this thread is 76 years and stopped only 2 years ago. You are NEVER to old to quit an addiction!!!!:D

That is sooooo good to hear; hope for us all. Whoop ! Well done you.

Just in from work, I finish early on a Friday and looking forward to the weekend. Flick on the computer and straight into this thread to see how everybody is keeping(SUPPORT FOR ME) and WHAM was feeling tire but not anymore. People supporting each other in their endeavor to stop smoking this is what this thread is all about. Its one hell of a tool in the battle against smoking.:D:D
    Just keep posting and and believe no one will be bored in what you have to say we all need the support. GREAT READING:):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Timfy

Hi again all.
    Anyone else keeping a diary of their champix adventures?
    I'm just putting down a few lines every day.
    Would love to see other peoples journals (if not too private!). It's always nice to share an experience, and can take a lot of worry off your mind when you see everyone is going through exactly the same as you.
    My first few days are laid out below. Don't think that I'm a lazy git having my afternoon naps! It's a leftover from years of shiftwork, and now I work for myself I allow myself the luxury of a siesta!!!

Day One

09:00 One 0.5mg Champix tablet was taken with water at 8:30am. Two pieces of toast consumed at same time. No nausea or other similar side effects noted throughout the day.

18:00 Slept 2 hours in the afternoon (normal behaviour)

22:00 Smoking as normal. (35-40 cigarettes)

Day Two

09:00 Experienced a normal nights sleep. (8hrs)
    One 0.5mg Champix tablet was taken with water at 8:30am. Two pieces of toast consumed at same time.

18:00 Slept 2 hours in the afternoon. Dreams quite vivid and I remember them after waking, which is unusual for me. Didn’t smoke quite as many cigarettes today.

Day Three

10:00 Slept well, no dreams. (7hrs)
    One 0.5mg Champix tablet was taken with water at 9.00am. Two pieces of toast consumed at same time. A little dizzy about 30 minutes later, like I had just had a cigarette after a long break. Not a showstopper though!

14:00 Cigarettes definitely tasting different, metallic. Certainly not smoking as many, those I do smoke are like extra lights i.e. no real hit or satisfaction.

18:00 Slept 2 hours this afternoon, no recollection of dreams.

Day Four

09:30 Went out for a good few beers yesterday evening, no side effects other than I smoked far less than normal. Slept well, no dreams. (7.5hrs)
    One 0.5mg Champix tablet was taken with water at 9.00am. Two pieces of toast and a chocolate doughnut (:o) consumed at same time. A bit hungover so unsure if low level nausea is from Champix or porter!!! First cigarette of the day gave no satisfaction at all, just lit from pure habit.

There.... told you I'd be boring you rigid!!! :D

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Advertisement