Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champix aka Chantix/Varenicline

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭connewitz

Reloc8 wrote: »
    I've cut my champix back to one pill in the morning - just don't find I need to take the second one in the evening and figure (as with most drugs) the lower effective doseage the better.

I have about 10 days left (at full dose) so 20 at my halved dose. I plan to take them for one more week and then come off it, keeping some in reserve in case I need to go back on, but I think that is quite unlikely.

I havn't smoked at all for 2 weeks as per my planned quit day - I can't in all conscience say that it has been very difficult to achieve this; quite the opposite in fact.

Well done to you and I think you are now another member in the club of the champix hoarders!:D If we would collect all the left over champix we could open our very own drug store!!!!;)
    I myself have a supply for about 3 weeks left and a lot of ex- users will have even more. It is funny how a drug you are depending on so much for the first weeks can become a nuisance and we just stop with it. And is the result not amazing, no more champix but also no desire to smoke!
    Hope everyone is still on the right track. Let`s hear it folks!!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭cars701

Okay folks. TODAY IS THE DAY. This is my quit day 1. Have been on Champix 14 days. Yesterday was okay - felt a bit queasy last night. Had last cig about 9pm. Cigs smoked so far today = 0. The mornings are the worst for me, I can cope during the day pretty well and I'm so wrecked at night that it's not that bad, but mornings are a killer. In my normal smoking days I would have had about 4 cigs before I left for work at 8.15am. Ridiculous. Hopefully will get through today okay - to be honest am just taking it hour by hour at the moment and telling myself hours will add up to days ! Hope you're all doing well and HAPPY MONDAY.

cars701 wrote: »
    Well done Reloc8; envying you rotten ! Wish I was in the space you are right now - hopefully will get there. :)

And so you will!!!!
    Every morning you wake up and take another champix is a step forward. You can reach your goal as well! Just keep us posted. Together we are strong!;)
    Look into the thread later on, on my way to the gym now.

Okay folks. TODAY IS THE DAY. This is my quit day 1. Have been on Champix 14 days. Yesterday was okay - felt a bit queasy last night. Had last cig about 9pm. Cigs smoked so far today = 0. The mornings are the worst for me, I can cope during the day pretty well and I'm so wrecked at night that it's not that bad, but mornings are a killer. In my normal smoking days I would have had about 4 cigs before I left for work at 8.15am. Ridiculous. Hopefully will get through today okay - to be honest am just taking it hour by hour at the moment and telling myself hours will add up to days ! Hope you're all doing well and HAPPY MONDAY.

Was just about to switch off as your new post arrived. Good luck today!
    Is it your Dolmino day? Just joking - Today is the day - you know, Luigi and Co.;););)
    But I really wish you all the best and hope, your mornings will get easier.
    Okay, I really have to go now or I sit all day at the computer and never make it to the gym.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Jennie2011

Well done cars and good luck :)
    One day at a time and remember you can do it!

• Advertisement

connewitz wrote: »
    Was just about to switch off as your new post arrived. Good luck today!
    Is it your Dolmino day? Just joking - Today is the day - you know, Luigi and Co.;););)
    But I really wish you all the best and hope, your mornings will get easier.
    Okay, I really have to go now or I sit all day at the computer and never make it to the gym.

Yep Connewitz - Dolmio Day ! Not too bad now. Have had coffee and all - can manage at the moment and that's what matters - trying not to think too far ahead ! Must take up a hobby too - can't do the gym - I'd fade away (only a size 8 as it is); maybe swimming. Will check it out. Thanks for encouragement - it helps a lot. Have a nice Monday Connewitz.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

Well done everybody and I hope all had a HAPPY HAPPY MONDAY :):) and cars701 your doing really well and the hours will add up to days, thats what I call positive thinking. ROCK ON.:D

Mornin' All. Day 2 Today. Got through yesterday - a bit rough at times but overall better than I anticipated. Despite having a crap night's sleep I feel rather more refreshed and energetic today. This morning was definitely much easier than yesterday morning without a doubt. I've now planned on taking the kids swimming this afternoon (after school and work); yesterday afternoon dragged a bit and I just couldn't be bothered with the housework - so if I keep myself occupied with something I like maybe it will be better as opposed to doing housework! How's everyone doing today ? Good I hope. We can beat this thing. We've nothing to lose and all to GAIN ! Keep positive thoughts. Have a nice Tuesday everyone.

Must take up a hobby too - can't do the gym - I'd fade away (only a size 8 as it is); maybe swimming. Will check it out. Thanks for encouragement - it helps a lot. Have a nice Monday Connewitz.

I am very slim myself, but I use the gym for toning and getting the cardio working, because the heart and the lungs suffered a lot from smoking. My tests by the instructor are getting better and better. It takes now much longer to reach my desired heart rate of 143 and my lung capacity has doubled! It is not all about losing weight. I know what you mean, but I told my instructor, that I don`t wont to loose weight and she put me on a program for cardio, toning and bone density (bones suffer as well from smoking).
    But swimming is good as well. What ever suits you and makes fun!!!:D
    Keep up the good work!

Good Morning All. Day 3 today. This morning was easier again. Feeling a bit better. Went swimming yesterday afternoon with kids (a bit stressful trying to get them into the pool and out); they didn't want to go in the first place then I couldn't get them out of the pool ! Anyway it passed the afternoon and I felt good afterwards. Have to say I'm getting a bit tetchey in the evenings; over-reacting to things a bit; hopefully it will pass. How's everyone doing ? Hope you have a good Wednesday.

• Advertisement

Good Morning All. Day 3 today. This morning was easier again. Feeling a bit better. Went swimming yesterday afternoon with kids (a bit stressful trying to get them into the pool and out); they didn't want to go in the first place then I couldn't get them out of the pool ! Anyway it passed the afternoon and I felt good afterwards. Have to say I'm getting a bit tetchey in the evenings; over-reacting to things a bit; hopefully it will pass. How's everyone doing ? Hope you have a good Wednesday.

Typical kids. But at least, it got you out of the house and the kids had fun as well. Just keep looking for things like this. It will take your mind of the cigs.
    Keep an eye on mood swings. If they get out of control, see your GP!
    Champix is a drug which is messing with your brain (as the most drugs do), so you should stay in close contact with your doc. It works better this way. You will feel safer and the doc knows what is going on.
    My GP was with me all the way until I stopped taking them. It was kind of reassuring!
    I do know, that not everybody is on a medicard like me, but maybe you can just call her/him for advice?
    Stay strong. I wish you a very nice day and lots of sunshine to keep you in a good mood!:D

Typical kids. But at least, it got you out of the house and the kids had fun as well. Just keep looking for things like this. It will take your mind of the cigs.
    Keep an eye on mood swings. If they get out of control, see your GP!
    Champix is a drug which is messing with your brain (as the most drugs do), so you should stay in close contact with your doc. It works better this way. You will feel safer and the doc knows what is going on.
    My GP was with me all the way until I stopped taking them. It was kind of reassuring!
    I do know, that not everybody is on a medicard like me, but maybe you can just call her/him for advice?
    Stay strong. I wish you a very nice day and lots of sunshine to keep you in a good mood!:D

Hi Connewitz; am going to go to the park with kids this afternoon (weather permitting); mood swings, my hubby would say it's not the cigs - its all the time ! Seriously, tho I do feel a bit narky in the evenings, tired too but this could also happen when I'm smoking, depending on the day. Maybe I'll give give doc a call to be sure to be sure. Having a bitch of a morning in work tho and didn't even think bout havin a smoke.....

Having a bitch of a morning in work tho and didn't even think bout havin a smoke.....

This is the best news ever. Dealing with stress and no smokes!!!!!! Well done!!!:D

Dealing with stress myself at the moment. Watching the tennis and my hero (Roger Federer) looks like loosing. OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Well done cars and everybody trying to kick the cIgs. I go swimming regular NOW but gave it up because I kept getting cramps and I dreaded my boys wanting to go swimming but when I stopped smoking and I hadn't stopped too long they asked me to take them swimming:eek:
    Anyway I took them NO CRAMPS :D UNBELIEVABLE I was in the pool for well over an hour.
    All them years my blood circulation was fecked up from smoking and I never copped it then again addiction to nicotine can cloud your reasoning.
    I have to say I like to reflect on all the positive stuff that happens when you stop smoking so stick with it but if in doubt about how champix is effecting or have worries get in touch with your GP.

terenc wrote: »
    Well done cars and everybody trying to kick the cIgs. I go swimming regular NOW but gave it up because I kept getting cramps and I dreaded my boys wanting to go swimming but when I stopped smoking and I hadn't stopped too long they asked me to take them swimming:eek:
    Anyway I took them NO CRAMPS :D UNBELIEVABLE I was in the pool for well over an hour.
    All them years my blood circulation was fecked up from smoking and I never copped it then again addiction to nicotine can cloud your reasoning.
    I have to say I like to reflect on all the positive stuff that happens when you stop smoking so stick with it but if in doubt about how champix is effecting or have worries get in touch with your GP.

Hi Terenc. Yeah the swimming is great; now the kids want to go every day. Day 4 today and feeling good this morning; hardly thought of cigs before I left for creche / work. I've to walk up four flights of stairs (carrying a 3 yr old) and have notice a remarkable difference in my heartbeat when I get to the top ! Always put it down to "I'm not as young as I used to be" ! Getting a bit scared heading into the weekend hope I'll be okay; keep telling myself it's just another day like any other. Hope you're all doing well.

Hi everybody,
    Iam going away for a few days, down to Clonakilty Cork,There is a band festival and I play with a band thats going down. I play a clarinet (badly).
    After many years of not playing I took it back up again and 1 more reason not to smoke again I couldn't blow it and was gasping for breath and I remember one night in particular when I started coughing and couldn't stop. I thought my lungs were going to drop out through the bell of the clarinet and every one stopped playing TO LISTEN ME COUGHING.:eek::eek:
    I started the champix shortly after that So if I was still smoking I wouldn't be going anyway tomorrow but Iam :D:D.
    Have a great weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭Mech1

I have given up using champix, really helped me. I have a sealed pack of them here that i dont wanna throw out if anyone interested pm me.

Hi everybody,
    Iam going away for a few days, down to Clonakilty Cork,There is a band festival and I play with a band thats going down. I play a clarinet (badly).
    After many years of not playing I took it back up again and 1 more reason not to smoke again I couldn't blow it and was gasping for breath and I remember one night in particular when I started coughing and couldn't stop. I thought my lungs were going to drop out through the bell of the clarinet and every one stopped playing TO LISTEN ME COUGHING.:eek::eek:
    I started the champix shortly after that So if I was still smoking I wouldn't be going anyway tomorrow but Iam :D:D.
    Have a great weekend.

I do hope you had a great time and enjoyed yourself immensely! It is quite amazing what for reasons people have to give up smoking. But in the end what ever it is, just go for it.
    So enjoy and I am sure you are not that bad with the clarinet or you would not be in a band!!!!:D

Hi Terenc. Yeah the swimming is great; now the kids want to go every day. Day 4 today and feeling good this morning; hardly thought of cigs before I left for creche / work. I've to walk up four flights of stairs (carrying a 3 yr old) and have notice a remarkable difference in my heartbeat when I get to the top ! Always put it down to "I'm not as young as I used to be" ! Getting a bit scared heading into the weekend hope I'll be okay; keep telling myself it's just another day like any other. Hope you're all doing well.

So giving up the smokes is prompt benefit for your kids! Good job!
    Don`t be scared about the weekend. Avoid drinking alcohol and have a good time with whatever soft drink or water. It is possible to do, believe me. I have done it many times.
    I am glad to hear, that you have no more morning blues and feel better. All the good things start to come together now. Keep strong and keep going. I wish you a very nice weekend with your family and enjoy the freedom of not smoking!:D

So giving up the smokes is prompt benefit for your kids! Good job!
    Don`t be scared about the weekend. Avoid drinking alcohol and have a good time with whatever soft drink or water. It is possible to do, believe me. I have done it many times.
    I am glad to hear, that you have no more morning blues and feel better. All the good things start to come together now. Keep strong and keep going. I wish you a very nice weekend with your family and enjoy the freedom of not smoking!:D

Hi Connewitz; yep the kids are benefitting as well as me. The weekend was tough in parts but I got through it. Day 8 today - can't believe it - mornings still grand, it's the evening that gets to me in spurts tho; not all the time. I've gotton over the habit when on the telephone; so I'll just keep going; my bro said to me yesterday you've no reason to smoke NONE so don't do it (he smokes, was off them for about 3 yrs and went back on them); have to said he's good support. Was telling a friend (who quit about a year ago) that I found it hard when I had people over for dinner; it's hard when the dinner is over and I go to sit down for a chat; so this friend said well just keep having people over and you'll get very used to not smoking! Thought it was a good tip. Anyway hope everyone is doing good today. One more day ! Have a great Monday.

• Advertisement

Hi everybody,
    Have a great weekend.

Hope you have a great time Terenc; love the clarinet; Enjoy youself and keep determined.

Hi,
    Well I made it through the weekend in Clonakilty and well done everybody gaving up the smokes.
    I had a few drinks, people were smoking around me and it didn't bother me at all it seems to get easier the longer your off them so well done cars701 :D and it will get easier.
    I was talking to this man in the pub one (sat) evening and he went out to have a smoke and I just asked him when he came back did he smoke many and he told me he was only after getting out of hospital ( 2nd heart attack) doctor told him the cigs were going to kill him but hes still smoking (major to roll ups was his way of dealing with it ).
    Its some addiction that makes you do something knowing its going to very likely kill you:eek:.So keep it going everybody and you will succeed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Janeboylan

Hey I'm thinking of using Champix to give up smoking. I googled this drug and there was some blog about really bad side effects. I'm just wondering has anyone experienced any bad side effects and can you drink when your taking it (not that it matters)? I know there is some small side effects but on the blog some people mentioned they had scary episodes and had to get off it. I really want to try this as other methods I've tried haven't work, but I don't want to take any thing that messes with your head.

Was telling a friend (who quit about a year ago) that I found it hard when I had people over for dinner; it's hard when the dinner is over and I go to sit down for a chat; so this friend said well just keep having people over and you'll get very used to not smoking! Thought it was a good tip. Anyway hope everyone is doing good today. One more day ! Have a great Monday.

Just go for it! Your friend is right! Do not avoid occasions just because you stopped smoking. Your life goes on and you will realize, that you really don`t need to smoke. Your bro is spot on! Have a good day with your kids. Hope the sun is shining like it is here!:)

Janeboylan wrote: »
    Hey I'm thinking of using Champix to give up smoking. I googled this drug and there was some blog about really bad side effects. I'm just wondering has anyone experienced any bad side effects and can you drink when your taking it (not that it matters)? I know there is some small side effects but on the blog some people mentioned they had scary episodes and had to get off it. I really want to try this as other methods I've tried haven't work, but I don't want to take any thing that messes with your head.

Yep there are side effects, but they differ very much from person to person. You can only try it out yourself. Talk with your GP and get the advice there. Good luck!:)
    If you want read through this thread. Many people wrote about the side effects they had.

Janeboylan wrote: »

Hi Janeboylan; I'm using Champix for past 3.5 weeks; only side effects I've experienced were a little bit naucious for about 15 mins after taking full dose and tiredness which is easing off now. Haven't smoked in 9 days; smoked only 4-6 cigs a day first two weeks on Champix (normally 30 a day); I've had several drinks (red wine) on Champix - in fact having one now ! - My head isn't messed apart from cigs ! Go for it - give it a try. Good luck.

Hi Janebolan,
    When you research champix you become very much aware of what the drug can maybe do to you, but everybody is different and the effects differ from person to person and has connewitz said earlier read through the thread, the champix worked for me and OK their were side effects but they paled into significance when I stopped smoking and has cars701 said go for it and hopefully it will work for you but has with all drugs seek medical advice.
    Use the thread here has a support if you start the champix or has a support in your battle against cigarettes:D. best of luck

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Hi Janebolan.

I was one of the people that posted about severe side effects on the Champix.

Im now smoke free for almost 5 weeks but Im using Zyban instead of Champix.Ive found the side effects much better on the zyban and Im not having as severe side effects as I did the last time.

I think the chances of severe side effects are something like 1 in a 100--Unfortunatley my doc reckons I fall into that one percent.

As long as you spot them early you`ll be fine--I didnt.It took my wife to spot the mood swings and depression before I actually had to ring the doc to see what was going on and get taken off the tablets.

I say go for it.The side effects are worth putting up with to give up the ciggies--I dont think the side effects will kill you but the cigs eventually will.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭paulgalway

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

paulgalway wrote: »

I was more worried about the damage the smokes were doing to my heart and lungs than the side effects from the stop smoking tablet.

Advertisement