Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champix aka Chantix/Varenicline

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭connewitz

Hellrazer wrote: »
    I was more worried about the damage the smokes were doing to my heart and lungs than the side effects from the stop smoking tablet.

Well said! As long as one can cope with the side effects it is well worth it. The benefits of non smoking are life long and nothing can beat this!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

Good lord - there's almost a 25% increased chance of having a heart attack if you take Champix versus not.

Or to put it another way :-

Sample size 4908 taking Champix, 52 experience arythmia/heart attack...1 in 94

Sample size 3308 taking placebo, 27 experience arythmia...1 in 122

:rolleyes:

Havn't smoked for three weeks. I attribute this primarily to Champix. Side effects minimal. That said, I plan to come off it over the next few days by going to one pill every two days - but on the general principle that I don't want to take any drug for longer than absolutely necessary.

Nothing in that study would change my mind as regards taking it. The most noticeable side effect I had was being quite tired in the second week (could as easily have been the effect of not having any nicotine in me and not drinking 10 cups of coffee a day) and some stomach cramps in the morning during the same period - this was probably the Champix.

Reloc8 wrote: »
    Good lord - there's almost a 25% increased chance of having a heart attack if you take Champix versus not.

Or to put it another way :-

Sample size 4908 taking Champix, 52 experience arythmia/heart attack...1 in 94

Sample size 3308 taking placebo, 27 experience arythmia...1 in 122

:rolleyes:

Nice of you to play the number game!;) It is quite often the case, that this studies fail in producing results to take a product off the market. And people will be people. Tell them beforehand about severe side effects and at least the half of this people will experience them!
    A lot of it just happens in our heads. We convince ourselfs of all this things which are supposed to happen. Without this, the cosmetic industry could pack in!!!!!:D
    My daughter is a make-up artist and has done a lot of research on cosmetic products. There are not such things as anti-aging cremes or anti-wrinkle cremes. And this is were they make the most of the money, with false promises about keeping age at bay by simply buying their products.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭yerraya

Hi guys I'm only on day one of the champix and just sitting down now....have been buzzing about the place I seem to be full of energy (which is very unlike me!) anyone else have this? I normally smoke 20 a day and have just realised that today I've only smoked 4. only thing I'm worried about is how the hell I'll sleep tonight....still feel like I've drank 20 cups of coffee and took the tablet at nine this morning!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

yerraya wrote: »
    Hi guys I'm only on day one of the champix and just sitting down now....have been buzzing about the place I seem to be full of energy (which is very unlike me!) anyone else have this? I normally smoke 20 a day and have just realised that today I've only smoked 4. only thing I'm worried about is how the hell I'll sleep tonight....still feel like I've drank 20 cups of coffee and took the tablet at nine this morning!!!!

Well done YERRAYA on day 1 of champix.Cant say I had the buzzing more like laid back feeling, I researched the champix before I went to my doctor and I recalled all what could happen to me,(death popped up a few times, if the cigs didn't get me the champix would) and I have to admit to been nervous but I went for champix and it worked for me,:D
    Its great to have all the information about champix but try not to get to hung up on the negative stuff, be aware by all means and has Hellraiser
    posted
    the champix didn't work him, but look at other options if the champix isn't for you try another means but am hoping you'll get there
    All the best keep us posted. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

Yes I found it affected my metabolism quite a bit in the first week/second week - lots of energy etc.

Some of this is likely related to nicotine withdrawal & the positive buzz you get from knowing you're quitting (I certainly had that too).

I had researched it a bit aswell and was expecting to be fairly lethargic from the bits and pieces I had read....it would take me for them to have the opposite effect! Glad to hear I'm not the only one! To be honest I wasnt expecting to be noticing any difference today so I cant say that I consciously smoked less. smoking as usual now however but presume that maybe due to the tablets being out of my system some bit by now. I really didnt even want to give up but had due to health reasons so I am kinda shocked that I noticed any difference today. I have tried hypnosis, patches and inhalers in the past but in all honesty I hadnt really wanted to give up at the time. The way I look at it now is that I have nothing to lose so I'll stick with them while they seem to be agreeing with me... as for the side effects thankfully they seem to all be positive at the moment but if I stick with the smokes I'll certainly be making a fast exit so they have to be worth a try even with the gamble of their seemingly endless number of negative side effects! Thanks for support will keep yee posted! fingers x'd for me and best of luck to all who are on the road to quitting! :)

Hi yerraya! Welcome on board! Congratulations to the first and major step to become a non smoker. If you are full of energy - even better. The most of us got tired! So, just go on and keep us posted!:)

Thank You! I think I may have hit the tiredness wall yesterday!!! which actually had me smoking more than the day before but was only day 2 so not too disappointed! feeling a lot more energetic today so hopefully I'll be buzzing around again and can get all the house work done before the weekend!!!!:D Hope everyone's managing ok.... I have to admit I'm dreading my quit date:eek: but heres to a smoke free us!:cool:

I have to admit I'm dreading my quit date:eek: but heres to a smoke free us!:cool:

Just keep the good thoughts up and do not think too far ahead! Take one day and then the next and before you can think about it - there - your first week without a smoke has passed!:D All of us had to do it like this or you will only have stress!
    I am still counting, even after this long time.:o Off the cigs now for 1 year, 2 months and 10 days! Money saved? A LOT!!!!!:D
    Stay strong, you can do it!!!!:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭DonnieL

Yerraya, congratulations on your decision to quit smoking!;) Listen to Connewitz she's a great coach. I don't know how far back you went into this thread. But I started out with the same fears as you are experiencing and dreading that quit date. But, around the 3rd day after starting on the pill I noticed a deminished desire to light up and by the 7th day, which was my quit day, I never had another smoke!:D It's been over 2 and a half years now. I smoked up to 2 1/2 packs a day for over 50 years. I could never had done it without Chantix/Champix. Good luck and hang in there!!;)

DonnieL wrote: »
    Yerraya, congratulations on your decision to quit smoking!;) Listen to Connewitz she's a great coach. I don't know how far back you went into this thread. But I started out with the same fears as you are experiencing and dreading that quit date. But, around the 3rd day after starting on the pill I noticed a deminished desire to light up and by the 7th day, which was my quit day, I never had another smoke!:D It's been over 2 and a half years now. I smoked up to 2 1/2 packs a day for over 50 years. I could never had done it without Chantix/Champix. Good luck and hang in there!!;)

I truly think this sounds crazy, but I did miss you!:o
    How are you and how is your general health? Are you still on the treadmill for them long hours? Are your eyes okay now and how is life in Anaheim?
    I do absolutely love it, that you are still a member of this thread. I wish you all the best. Will try to send you a private message.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭cars701

Hey All,
    Haven't logged in for a while. Hope you're all doing okay. Still off cigs ! Can't believe it. Day 17 now. Was at bbq last Sat and didn't even want a ciggie even tho lots of them about; drank a bit too much tho! Last Friday was very hard for some reason; was on a half day from work and would have killed for a smoke; had a bath instead and did my tan and felt much better; rang a friend and said TELL ME WHY I'M DOING THIS AGAIN ! (She's off them 5 years); so she said to me I'll tell you what - if you feel this bad tomorrow I'll buy you a pack myself ! Needless to say I didn't feel that way on Saturday.... Have a nice day everyone and stick with it - it's worth it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Just checking in--Still off them.Using my trusty E-cig for those really bad cravings.
    Actually using my trusty e-cig to stave off any cravings--Im probably still a nicotine addict and I probably always will be.

Stopped the Zyban..no real cig cravings at all even when Im drinking which was my worst time.I can go from 7am until 7pm without needing anything but the ecig is there for the bad evenings.

Feeling much healthier.Cough is gone.Loads more energy.Loads more money--seriously its the difference between having a holiday and not having a holiday this year.Reckon Ive saved over 600 euros in 6 weeks.

Reckoning on 90 per week (20 a day and double that on weekends) and off them nearly 7 weeks so €630 <<<madness to be spending this killing yourself.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Reckoning on 90 per week (20 a day and double that on weekends) and off them nearly 7 weeks so €630 <<<madness to be spending this killing yourself.

It is really madness if you think about it. We complain that we have no money to visit the doc, but we could spend so much more to make us sick!:eek:

hey guys.....sorry havent been online in a while. Thanks for all the words of encouragement. Gotta say though not doing as well as I'd hoped as I'm still smoking :mad::eek::( I have cut down to almost nothing (2 smokes a day) which I suppose is something considering I was smoking well over the 20 a day but still raging with myself. My doc said he'd up the dose next week to see if that helps. I reread the leaflet with the tablets today and gathered that they're normally given in the dosage that my doc wants to up them to as in 1mg twice a day instead of the .5 mg twice a day. Anyone else on the lower dose or was it just my docs bright idea!!!:confused: Have set another quit date for Monday and should be starting the higher dose next week so fingers crossed for my will power!:rolleyes:

hey guys.....sorry havent been online in a while. Thanks for all the words of encouragement. Gotta say though not doing as well as I'd hoped as I'm still smoking :mad::eek::( I have cut down to almost nothing (2 smokes a day) which I suppose is something considering I was smoking well over the 20 a day but still raging with myself. My doc said he'd up the dose next week to see if that helps. I reread the leaflet with the tablets today and gathered that they're normally given in the dosage that my doc wants to up them to as in 1mg twice a day instead of the .5 mg twice a day. Anyone else on the lower dose or was it just my docs bright idea!!!:confused: Have set another quit date for Monday and should be starting the higher dose next week so fingers crossed for my will power!:rolleyes:

Just keep on going and don`t go mad. Some things are not done in a hurry. Please don`t give up, 2 cigs a day is brilliant!!!
    Never heard anyone on this thread mentioning using half the dosage at the beginning. Most started with the full dosage and cut down, after they felt, they need only half the dosage. I do think it was a brainstorm from your doctors side.:rolleyes:
    Keep up the good work and I wish you all the luck in the world!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭cars701

connewitz wrote: »
    Just keep on going and don`t go mad. Some things are not done in a hurry. Please don`t give up, 2 cigs a day is brilliant!!!
    Never heard anyone on this thread mentioning using half the dosage at the beginning. Most started with the full dosage and cut down, after they felt, they need only half the dosage. I do think it was a brainstorm from your doctors side.:rolleyes:
    Keep up the good work and I wish you all the luck in the world!:)

Hey Connewitz; you're so right. Keep it up Yerra. First dose of Champix for me was for two weeks; .5mg on day 1-3 once a day; then .5mg twice a day for days 4-7; then 1mg twice a day for days 8-14; then following month is 1mg twice a day. Doc recommended that I stay on these for 3 months; I did ask if I could stop before then and he said yes but he would recommend I stick with it for 3 months - it gives you a better chance of staying smoke free, he said. I'm 5 weeks off them next Monday CAN'T BELIEVE IT - really a miracle my hubby said. My kids are delighted too, particularly my 9 year old who said "Mam your lungs aren't black anymore now sure they're not?", bless him. Anyway, stick with it Yerra, it's so worth it; focus on your stop day and just do it. Best of luck, and we're all here to support ya. Have a Great Day everyone.

cars701 wrote: »
    I'm 5 weeks off them next Monday CAN'T BELIEVE IT - really a miracle my hubby said. My kids are delighted too, particularly my 9 year old who said "Mam your lungs aren't black anymore now sure they're not?", bless him.

I just love your little one! They are really behind you!
    It is up to you now not to disappoint them.;)
    Congrats to your 5 weeks!!!!!!!!!:D You must be so delighted with yourself!
    Keep posting all this good things, it will help others in their fight!
    Enjoy the long weekend!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i am on day 10, still smoking but nowhere near the same amount.

i spend a lot of time thinking of lighting - like right now, all i want to do is go downstairs and puff away but i seem to be having some trouble moving from my desk.

it is very strange

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭DonnieL

Hold on to that thought IrishBird! You won't regret it! I've been clean going on 3 years now! I could never have done it without Chantix/Champix. This thread has been a gigantic help with comparing notes and support! Keep up the good work. Connewitz is a great Mentor!!;):)

irishbird wrote: »
    i am on day 10, still smoking but nowhere near the same amount.

i spend a lot of time thinking of lighting - like right now, all i want to do is go downstairs and puff away but i seem to be having some trouble moving from my desk.

it is very strange

Hi irishbird!

Just stick around this thread and you will find all the help and support you need! You made the first move, now it is one hour, one day, one week and counting! Believe in yourself!!!!!!!!!:)

I do hope you are still fighting the battle and are about to win!
    Will look in the thread after my holidays again. Now it is off to Austria! Can`t wait to see my daughter after 7 months.
    I wish you all a great time and lovely holidays if you are going away!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Janeboylan

Hey everyone,

I got the champix eventually, It hasn't been too bad I've had the usual symptoms with sleepless nites,tiredness and I had a cold for one day not sure if it was connected to the tablets.
    I haven't gotten on as well as everyone else by the sounds of things, but I am on day 16 now and its my quit day, I know I'm 2 days late but Day 14 fell on a Sat and I was going out that nite and on Sun I just had one so I don't feel too guilty just as long as I stay away from the cigarettes from today onwards.

I must say that the withdrawals aren't too bad I find with me thats it when I'm bored that I get them the most which I find hard coz my job is the most boring job ever.
    What helped me a little bit was that I got an A4 size card and then stuck loads of pictures of things that I wanted to get that I couldn't afford like new shoes / Mt Bike.
    Then I put things like healthy Lungs, how much the cigs cost a week so every time I get a bit tempted I look at it and see the things I can buy if I stay off the cigarettes.

Someone told me that while her husband was on the champix he also got the nicorette Lozengens so I might try that if they get really bad.
    Any way I thought I'ld post up how I was finding the Champix, hope this helps and good luck to everyone trying to give up

Hi Guys...well finally got the dosage increased but also got some nasty side effects :( but on the brightside I was too sick to smoke so brought my quitting date forward and am now nearing a week nicotine free!! :D and thankfully the bad nausea has passed so really glad I stuck with it. Still feel a tad queezy for about an hour not long after taking the tablets but that goes within an hour or so. So fingers crossed I can keep those cancer sticks away!!!
    @ janeboylan I have the nicotine inhaler havent actually used it yet thankfully but I used to use it for long flights etc. and found it worked better for me than the lozenges....I suppose its really due to the hand to mouth habit thing for me. Well done and best of luck being smoke free! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Was going great for the first month an a half, then I went to a few music festivals as I was working at them, but I still cannot resist the occasional joint. Anyway Im now onto my third month of Champix and this is where the problems are kicking in, have not slept a wink since Sunday night which is driving me spare, I stopped taking it today because all I want to do is sleep.
    Come Friday if I still have this problem will go to the doc for sleeping tablets and will probably resume the champix, I still smoke occasionally, 2 or 3 roll ups a day. If I cant get any sleep by the end of next weekend will probably top myself just so Im not awake.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 hellomynameis

Hey everyone, Just checking in, Still off them, 4 and a half months on Friday :D, I could not have done it wothout Champix, I don't miss them, I have no desire for them anymore and go through the day without thinking of them, I smoked 20 a day for 14 years :eek: so this is a miracle to me, I know everyone says it but if I can do it anyone can do it. Good luck to everyone giving them up and continued luck to all that already have.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

Hi everybody,;)
    Having posted for a while but well done to everybody who have stopped smoking or in the process of stopping, am off them 2 years now and have never felt better and have brought the family away for holidays on the back of money that I would spent on smokes.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Janeboylan

Hey Guys,

I haven't posted for awhile but I just wanted to say that i haven't smoked for 10 days now.:D
    I can't believe it I didn't think I would last, it hasn't been easy and the last few days I've really wanted to but I'm determind to stop. I've got another 11 days I think before it starts getting much easier so fingers crossed that I'll make it.
    Congrats to everyone whos off them and anyone who is still struggling to stop completely keep trying and you will get there in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

Was going great for the first month an a half, then I went to a few music festivals as I was working at them, but I still cannot resist the occasional joint. Anyway Im now onto my third month of Champix and this is where the problems are kicking in, have not slept a wink since Sunday night which is driving me spare, I stopped taking it today because all I want to do is sleep.
    Come Friday if I still have this problem will go to the doc for sleeping tablets and will probably resume the champix, I still smoke occasionally, 2 or 3 roll ups a day. If I cant get any sleep by the end of next weekend will probably top myself just so Im not awake.

Had the problem myself when I started and Iwent back to the doctor. She told me to not to take the second tablet late at night but instead take it in the early evening - worked for me ...

Advertisement