Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champix aka Chantix/Varenicline

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭connewitz

Back from Austria and just sticking my head in to say hello! As I can see, there are newbies here and I do wish them all the best. The other ones are doing great! Well done!!!
    Off the cigs now for 1 year and 4 months. In Austria nearly everyone around me smoked. Got once the desire, but it passed. It only showed me to stay vigilant. Once addicted always addicted!
    Good luck to all of you. Keep posting, it is a great help!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 cgan086

2 years 4 months baby. boohyaaa

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

connewitz wrote: »
    Back from Austria and just sticking my head in to say hello! As I can see, there are newbies here and I do wish them all the best. The other ones are doing great! Well done!!!
    Off the cigs now for 1 year and 4 months. In Austria nearly everyone around me smoked. Got once the desire, but it passed. It only showed me to stay vigilant. Once addicted always addicted!
    Good luck to all of you. Keep posting, it is a great help!:)
    Welcome back connewitz, hadent being around myself holidays with the family and all that stuff, back at work and as you said "once adddicted always addicted!" under a bit of pressure at work I thought to myself "love a cig now " but have to say it passed but I wasent a kick in the ass away from smoking again, and thats after 2 years!! you really need to be on your toes, have to say I came home and opened this site,just to see where I was and how far I had come.
    The champix stopped me smoking but this site keeps on working in its own way and to thanks everybody who posts on this site .

terenc wrote: »
    Welcome back connewitz, hadent being around myself holidays with the family and all that stuff, back at work and as you said "once adddicted always addicted!" under a bit of pressure at work I thought to myself "love a cig now " but have to say it passed but I wasent a kick in the ass away from smoking again, and thats after 2 years!! you really need to be on your toes, have to say I came home and opened this site,just to see where I was and how far I had come.
    The champix stopped me smoking but this site keeps on working in its own way and to thanks everybody who posts on this site .

Man, you are so right! It is frightening, how our brain is still longing for the fix! But as I wrote before, I was off the cigs for 3 years and got back on them. It is too easy to give in. We are fighting every day against this addiction. And I have to admit, that this thread is the best thing what could happen to me after quitting.:) It has helped me immense on my way and I am still in it, because I do still need support and help myself!
    So thanks everybody! Terenc you rock! You and DonnieL are my best advisers!:D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i had to stop talking the tablets after 4.5 weeks.

i stopped taking them on holidays last week, as i couldnt cope with the side effects any longer.

feeling fine so far - is it necessary to take them for the full 3 months?

• Advertisement

irishbird wrote: »

i stopped taking them on holidays last week, as i couldnt cope with the side effects any longer.

Did you stop on your own or did you speak to your GP? Some people on this thread stopped and still quit smoking, others however started smoking again. If you are afraid about starting to smoke again, then talk with your GP. She/he should be able to help you out of this dilemma. Good luck!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭susanweir

Am almost exactly the same as you. Stopped because of the side effects after 4 weeks. Smoke free for almost 8 months now! :DConnie is right though - check with GP first!

susanweir wrote: »
    Am almost exactly the same as you. Stopped because of the side effects after 4 weeks. Smoke free for almost 8 months now! :DConnie is right though - check with GP first!

just stopped taking them about 2 weeks ago. havent had the need to smoke yet.

but i suppose i still have two full months packets at home, so i could start taking them am if i felt like i was struggling.

Nice to hear from you again and I am soooo delighted for you!:D 8 month`s without a smoke - you can be proud of yourself. Because I did hear nothing more from you, I did think, that you fell off the wagon! So well done and keep on going!:)

Well done irishbird and I couldent but feel that I was in that space one time, susanweir said it all with connie as backup:)
    Stick with it because believe me everyday you are without a cig you will become stronger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭susanweir

Hi guys,

I am still here, and there are no wheels on my wagon:D. But I'm still rolling along (and clinging on);)

I check in regularly because I still feel i need the support here. Maybe I'm not fully 'cured'! Mind you, after 30 years of smoking, it was never going to happen overnight!

Hi guys,

I am still here, and there are no wheels on my wagon:D. But I'm still rolling along (and clinging on);)

I check in regularly because I still feel i need the support here. Maybe I'm not fully 'cured'! Mind you, after 30 years of smoking, it was never going to happen overnight!

Great stuff susanweir, I love the clinging with no wheels :). Have to say it was and is a bumpy ride but it seems to be getting a wee bit smoother:)Not quite wanderly wagon yet:D. Keep it going everybody in their battle against the dreaded weed.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭DonnieL

Some great positive input! I wish all you newbie's the best of luck. I stumbled on to this site almost 3 years ago. There were only 2 of us to start and the thread started to grow and grow and grow!! It's been such a saving grace to so many including me. That's why I have to stick my nose in every once in a while!! :D Terenc and cgan were among the early part of thread. I have no desire anymore to even try and smoke. In fact after almost three years, I'm just starting to get sensitive to anyone smoking around me, even out doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭celiam

I wonder can they only be bought on prescription or can they be gotten cheaper up the north

celiam wrote: »
    I wonder can they only be bought on prescription or can they be gotten cheaper up the north

Its prescription only, you wont get it over the counter up north .The campix worked for me but it can have serious side effects celiam and is not suitable for everyone, I checked it out on the net before I went to my doctor and discussed it with him (nice to know what I was talking about:)). Have to say talking to my doctor was a good start in getting my mind in the right frame to quit smoking.
    Wishing you all the best in your battle against the cigs, I know it maybe expensive to see a doctor but if and when you quit the money saved builds up so fast that his bill will be very , very, very insignificant :)

well, 6/7 weeks still off them.

i do think it is getting harder though.

but the cravings are getting much, much shorter.

i gave up alcohol and coffee for a while but am gradually introducing them back in.

i was very angry for the last 2 weeks and couldnt sleep cos i was so angry but seems to have moved on now

well, 6/7 weeks still off them.

i do think it is getting harder though.

but the cravings are getting much, much shorter.

i gave up alcohol and coffee for a while but am gradually introducing them back in.

i was very angry for the last 2 weeks and couldnt sleep cos i was so angry but seems to have moved on now

Well done irishbird, thinking back the first few weeks were tough but I do remember the cravings getting much shorter, like you I stopped having a drink or cut back on it, but am fine now ,can go down to my local people having a smoke dosent bother me,(or maybe it dose) can look at someone smoking and feel that it would be nice to have a cig but thats it but I still thought about having one :rolleyes:
    My defences are still working so I suppose am always weary where cigs are been smoked so well done again irishbird it will get better the longer you are off them.

Had big trouble with my computer (got hacked). As I can read, you are all still on the track. WELL DONE!!!!
    There will be up and downs all the time. But the downs get more and more manageable. After 1 year and 5 months without a smoke I still get the odd pang and desire for a cig. But I just shrug it off with a smile. Did I really smoke for 35 years?:rolleyes:
    So take every day as it comes and good luck! You all can make it!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭cars701

Hey Connewitz; haven't logged into boards for a while - still off them think its about 15 weeks now; it really gets much easier; although some days I can let the longing for one get to me a bit by dwelling on it, but am getting better at that one and can honestly say I rarely miss them. Have put on about two stone but everyone says they've never seen me look so well, so musn't be that bad! Hope everyone doing good and sticking with it. xxx
    Had big trouble with my computer (got hacked). As I can read, you are all still on the track. WELL DONE!!!!
    There will be up and downs all the time. But the downs get more and more manageable. After 1 year and 5 months without a smoke I still get the odd pang and desire for a cig. But I just shrug it off with a smile. Did I really smoke for 35 years?:rolleyes:

Great to have you back I tought you might have slipped,:( how could I even think of such horrid thing:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Hey everyone.

This is my 8th day on Champix and i have to say that they really are helping me. I've smoked 60 cigs since last Tuesday which is great as i was a 20 a day person and actually i haven't had one at all today. I haven't had any real side effects apart from slight mood swings, but thats it. My aim is to quit completely on Sunday morning and rely soley on the tablets.

Great to have you back I tought you might have slipped,:( how could I even think of such horrid thing:rolleyes:

Thanks! No I did not slip and hopefully never will. But my computer still gives me trouble. Have no money for a new one, so I have to live with it.
    How are you? Hope you had a great summer with your family. Kids are back to school now. I am looking forward to a big event. My son`s girlfriend is expecting her first child! Can`t wait. I will be 54 in February and it is really high time, that I get a grandchild. If this is not a reason to stay away from the smokes.......!!!!!:D
    On reason more to live healthy!

super-rush wrote: »
    Hey everyone.

This is my 8th day on Champix and i have to say that they really are helping me. I've smoked 60 cigs since last Tuesday which is great as i was a 20 a day person and actually i haven't had one at all today. I haven't had any real side effects apart from slight mood swings, but thats it. My aim is to quit completely on Sunday morning and rely soley on the tablets.

First step done, more to follow! Good luck and keep us posted. You are not alone!;)

cars701 wrote: »
    Hey Connewitz; haven't logged into boards for a while - still off them think its about 15 weeks now; it really gets much easier; although some days I can let the longing for one get to me a bit by dwelling on it, but am getting better at that one and can honestly say I rarely miss them. Have put on about two stone but everyone says they've never seen me look so well, so musn't be that bad! Hope everyone doing good and sticking with it. xxx

Nice to hear from you again! Good to know, you are still a non-smoker!
    Don`t worry about the weight! I am in the gym 3 days a week and putting on weight as well. But I was never fitter in my whole life! So, who cares about a couple of pounds?????????????;)

Nice to hear from you again! Good to know, you are still a non-smoker!
    Don`t worry about the weight! I am in the gym 3 days a week and putting on weight as well. But I was never fitter in my whole life! So, who cares about a couple of pounds?????????????;)

Well done everybody and well put connewitz
    A lot of positives coming through the posts cars701, super-rush, irishbird, I put on some weigh but I was underweight from not eating properly and smoking was surpressing my appepite, I have been known to gave classes on food and nutrition:rolleyes: but I was totally hooked on cigs so keep it going everybody, lets rock and roll:):)

Great news from everybody! So happy to hear it!! Listen to the "veterans" they know what their talking about! Keep up the great work!!!:D

Well done everybody and well put connewitz
    A lot of positives coming through the posts cars701, super-rush, irishbird, I put on some weigh but I was underweight from not eating properly and smoking was surpressing my appepite, I have been known to gave classes on food and nutrition:rolleyes: but I was totally hooked on cigs so keep it going everybody, lets rock and roll:):)

I really do think, that it is more important to look and feel fit than to have a Kate Moss figure!;) Was like you, far too underweight, no appetite at all but always a cigarette, if I started to get hungry. No thank you!!! I am feeling so much better now, no way back!
    So, all the newbies and fighters - keep it going. You all deserve a better health and a long life!

That's funny.. I hadn't been under weight since my 20's. I began to "blossom" when I turned thirty. But, really put on the lbs when I quit smoking almost 3 years ago now. Now it's diet and excerise. So much easier now that "I'm a Non-Smoker"!;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

Hi All, started on the campix last weds, I was going to carry on smoking until monday but havent had one since I left work on Friday!

Have been fairly cranky over the weekend with a couple of really long cravings.

Hope to keep it up.. I was on about 20 a day and can feel a difference in my breathing already!!

• Advertisement

Well done blaze1,
    The cravings will get shorter, just keep all the positives that are happening to you from the moment you stop smoking like the breathing, are you coughing less, health issues which you might have though had nothing to do with smoking suddenly seem to get better or indeed might dissapear:D.
    So rock on blaze 1.

Advertisement