Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champix aka Chantix/Varenicline

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭connewitz

Ghjnr wrote: »
    Hi All

Probably choosing a mad time coming up to Christmas and all the parties etc. but I suppose there never is a good time!

Anyway, I just thought everyone's posts were really heartening so I thought I'd sign up and participate (selfishly to help myself) and hopefully if successful to help somebody someday about to do the same thing!

Hope you don't mind me updating you on the progress and moaning if it gets hard!

Thanks again for sharing all of the positive stories!

Wish me luck!
    Ger

Hi Ger, you are right, there is never a good time to quit - or so we all thought. But to be honest, this are just very welcome excuses not to stop smoking. So well done not shying away to give up before Christmas!!!
    Just try to stick it out this time and take the full dosage of Champix. It wil be trial and error for a time until you figure out,when it is the best time to take them. Okay, the dreams will stay with you (I do actually miss them!) but I found, that all the other side effects start to dwindle even longer I took them.
    Share you story, shout and moan... we are all here to help you and to celebrate with you, when you reached your goal.;)
    As you can see, a lot of the people on this thread "stick there head in" now and then, even when they are smoke free since a long time. Support is always at hand here!
    Good luck and keep posting!:)

I posted here a good while back when I first tried champix. Didn't end well but was off them for a few months. Got a new prescription today and just had my first tab.

Last time I stopped taking the tabs after approx 5 weeks cos I suspected I was feeling depressed from them and really believed I didn't need them at that point (and did continue without them for a good while longer) Gonna go the full three months this time. If I start feeling sh*t will talk to the doc about just taking a lighter dose or something.

Looking forward to more energy, lifting heavier weights, less stress, lighter hangovers and mental dreams........

I did not expect to find you on this thread again! Well done to try it again! As you can see, the most of us "old ones" are still here.
    I am free of this stinking habit since 1 year and 7 months now and I am the fittest and healthiest I ever was!
    It is definitely worth the new try! Good luck to you!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Ghjnr

connewitz wrote: »
    Hi All

Probably choosing a mad time coming up to Christmas and all the parties etc. but I suppose there never is a good time!

Anyway, I just thought everyone's posts were really heartening so I thought I'd sign up and participate (selfishly to help myself) and hopefully if successful to help somebody someday about to do the same thing!

Hope you don't mind me updating you on the progress and moaning if it gets hard!

Thanks again for sharing all of the positive stories!

Wish me luck!
    Ger

Hi Ger, you are right, there is never a good time to quit - or so we all thought. But to be honest, this are just very welcome excuses not to stop smoking. So well done not shying away to give up before Christmas!!!
    Just try to stick it out this time and take the full dosage of Champix. It wil be trial and error for a time until you figure out,when it is the best time to take them. Okay, the dreams will stay with you (I do actually miss them!) but I found, that all the other side effects start to dwindle even longer I took them.
    Share you story, shout and moan... we are all here to help you and to celebrate with you, when you reached your goal.;)
    As you can see, a lot of the people on this thread "stick there head in" now and then, even when they are smoke free since a long time. Support is always at hand here!
    Good luck and keep posting!:)
    Thanks a mill! Will do. Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

off the smokes 3 weeks with champix, onto month 2 of the prescription.

First month was not pleasant at all. Weird dreams, mood swings, and i had sever bad breath for like 5 days, was really bad, anyone get that?

Doing ok now, im finding that i forget to take the pills, but im not smoking, even though the cravings do come back in ways. Food, boredom and some other times during the day I like to have one.

Hi terence!
    Sent a PM. Hope you get it this time.
    Just let me know. It seems to be a little bit lost out there in cyperspace!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

day 6. smoking less now. just forget about them for long periods. Cigarettes losing their hit as well. thinking I'll have my last one on friday.

day 6. smoking less now. just forget about them for long periods. Cigarettes losing their hit as well. thinking I'll have my last one on friday.
    Well done! Just finished Day 1 without smoking. No cravings for nicotine or anything but a weird awareness of when I would usually be out smoking! A few times my body almost went into auto pilot and I went to get up

Ordered a coffee and instantly turned to our smoking area in our office. Funny to see how the body is programmed! Think the weirdest bit to get through will be the daily routine change!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

Just another quitter posting to reassure people -

I'll be off them 3 years on the 10th of January, thanks to champix. It wasn't completely easy but it was a hell of a lot easier than going cold turkey or doing any of the nicotine replacement stuff and I've tried it all!

I get the odd craving but they're more than manageable - sort of like standing at the edge of a cliff and getting an unusual urge to leap off - there's just no way!

I've tried to smoke a couple of times - mostly after a load of drink. Smoked about half the ciggie and threw it away every time. Just not interested anymore but I didn't want it to be a demon hanging over me.

Anyway - good luck folks - and as Nike says: just f*kin do it!

PS - I just worked out that I've saved about 12000 euro since I quit!

This time you can do it! Good luck!:D

Only had three yesterday. Though mostly down to lack of cash, it wasn't very tough without them.

Had one today when my friend gave me one. I'm somewhat tempted to buy a pack because original plan was to finish tomrrow. Though finding it difficult to justify the £3.31 it would cost!

Started the full dose tabs today so thinking cravings should all be gone soon. Think I'm quitting too early?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Only had three yesterday. Though mostly down to lack of cash, it wasn't very tough without them.

Had one today when my friend gave me one. I'm somewhat tempted to buy a pack because original plan was to finish tomrrow. Though finding it difficult to justify the £3.31 it would cost!

Started the full dose tabs today so thinking cravings should all be gone soon. Think I'm quitting too early?

I had a day like this, and didn't bother buying the smokes. I scabbed one during the morning break from a bloke in work, smoked about half of it, then put it out. Had no more of my own, and didn't want to scab any more, so I just stopped smoking. It was earlier than I'd planned too. :)

I'm still off them. Don't know how long, six, seven or eight weeks or something.

don't ever feel like smoking, there are times when I know I would have wanted a smoke at the time, but I've none, so the "feeling" if it's even that passes in a second.

Heavy cold coming on at the moment, won't be even thinking of smoking with that on me, Xmas will be a test, with people smoking in the houses I'm in, and all that drink.

I'll get through it though.

DON'T BUY THE SMOKES!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

well done Bottle of Smoke,I went through something like that, scabbed of my mate, felt sick has a parrot after I done it but then I came off them before my stop date which I had set for myself, have to say that was my last smoke and that was over two years ago, GO FOR IT

Des wrote: »
    I had a day like this, and didn't bother buying the smokes. I scabbed one during the morning break from a bloke in work, smoked about half of it, then put it out. Had no more of my own, and didn't want to scab any more, so I just stopped smoking. It was earlier than I'd planned too. :)

I'm still off them. Don't know how long, six, seven or eight weeks or something.

don't ever feel like smoking, there are times when I know I would have wanted a smoke at the time, but I've none, so the "feeling" if it's even that passes in a second.

Heavy cold coming on at the moment, won't be even thinking of smoking with that on me, Xmas will be a test, with people smoking in the houses I'm in, and all that drink.

I'll get through it though.

DON'T BUY THE SMOKES!!!

Ended up taking your advice but had 2 more scabbed cigs that day from others. 2 days off them now. Only time I felt like one was coming out of work on friday night. Always have one then but wasn't a big deal. Tonight I finished and wasn't bothered. girl at the bus stop was even smoking and i was glad i didn't have to.

Have noticed I am drinking nowhere near as much tea or coffee. Wonder if that's not needing a pick-me-up as much or maybe I just liked the combination of caffeine and nicotine.

Have noticed I am drinking nowhere near as much tea or coffee. Wonder if that's not needing a pick-me-up as much or maybe I just liked the combination of caffeine and nicotine.

This was a combination, tea or coffee and a cig! Oral satisfaction pure! Now you stopped smoking and if you are aware of it or not, the connection (smoke-hot drink) is disrupted. At the moment your brain is cnfused, but the day will come, when you get the biggest urge for a smoke while drinking either tea or coffee. So be prepared. Your brain was following this pattern for so long, it will not give up so quickly. We are just creatures of habit!!!

Hi all,

Just an update. I'm 10 days not smoking. Delighted I'm this far in. Champix appear to be working. Vivid dreams have stopped and have been replaced with restless sleep, but I have had other side effects. My mood is fairly medium, not bad like others, but completely emotionless - I couldn't care less. It's weird, anyone else ever experience this?!

Also I can't get enough of either chocolate (or anything with loads of sugar) or water! The water is great but the sugar thing is just plain strange. Was always a person with a sweet tooth but was never this bad!

None of that matters. Not going back on the cigs anyway! Being stubborn, will deal with the sweets afterwards!

All the best!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Also I can't get enough of either chocolate (or anything with loads of sugar) or water! The water is great but the sugar thing is just plain strange.

Me too, I've been drinking about four litres of water in my 8 hour work day, then another few pints at night at home.

It's good to know someone else is experiencing it! Couldn't find that side effect anywhere on the web. Thought it was just me!

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭DonnieL

Hi everyone,
    I just thought it's about time I paid a visit to the "Ole Thread"! It's good to see so many new names along with the vets like Connewitz and Terenc!! I would just like to tell the newer "non-smokers" to keep up the good work and continue to "vent" your frustrations here on the thread. There's no better support! This was sure here when I needed it and it's so great to see it continuing!;)
    Keep up the great work and don't get discouraged. "Just pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again"!! You'll be so glad you did!!

16 days now. dreams still weird and I suspect they're having an effect on my digestive system.

Other thing - anyone notice they have an effect on alcohol? have been finding having the first pint doesn't have that "ahhhh that hit the spot" feeling.

On the actual cigs its no issue at all with cravings. so nice being able to take a proper deep breath hehe. running for a the bus a lot easier too lol

Just popping in to see how all of you are doing! And it seems - just fine!!!!!!!! Well done everyone.:D
    Just keep going, if you struggle look into the thread and as Donnie put it, dust yourself off and go on. He, by the way, is coming close to his 3. year as a non-smoker! We all can do this!:)
    Enjoy your Christmas, your parties and festivities without a smoke! Good luck to all of you!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

Hi everybody
    Wishing all a happy and smoke free Chrismas and am swinging in with Donnie and connewitz when I say that. Have to say I have met some great people on this thread, am off smokes 2 years and 2 months and it has been a life changing experiance, healthy and wealthier I would say, so hang in there, believe me it will get easier and keep looking in on this thread when ever you need a hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Off the smokes about 6 weeks now. Ive had a serious urge for roasted peanuts. Even when i smoked id never eat them. Always hated penuts, even the smell of them, or off other people.

Ive also started eating fish. :D

Better than smokes i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭susanweir

connewitz wrote: »
    Just popping in to see how all of you are doing! And it seems - just fine!!!!!!!! Well done everyone.:D
    Just keep going, if you struggle look into the thread and as Donnie put it, dust yourself off and go on. He, by the way, is coming close to his 3. year as a non-smoker! We all can do this!:)
    Enjoy your Christmas, your parties and festivities without a smoke! Good luck to all of you!;)
    Me too!! Just stopping by to say hello, and wish everyone the best. (Hi Connie, Terence, Donniel). Looking forward to celebrating one year of not smoking on the 7th jan:D. Can't believe it!! Thanks for the support over the past year guys.

susanweir wrote: »
    Me too!! Just stopping by to say hello, and wish everyone the best. (Hi Connie, Terence, Donniel). Looking forward to celebrating one year of not smoking on the 7th jan:D. Can't believe it!! Thanks for the support over the past year guys.

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!! Well done and lenghts to go!;) Have a very happy Christmas!:D

Hope you all had a very merry Christmas and a good start into the year 2012!
    Are you all off the coffin nails?
    Good luck and keep on going!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭susanweir

Yep Connie, off the coffin nails. I remember how I felt this time last year as I was about to give them up. Never thought it was possible for me, but I did it!

Good luck everyone who is quitting at the moment. It really is worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 TOMTAC

Hi, 6 weeks ago today I had my last smoke. I have the first two months of Champix over next Tuesday and then I intend to start my final 4 weeks of the tablets. Over the last few days I have read all the postings on this board and I can categorically state that if I hadnt done so, there is no way I would be as comfortable with myself as I am at this stage. Initially I was taking the night tab just before I went to bed...big mistake as I know now...and couldnt sleep for hours. I now take the night tab with my dinner hours before I retire and sleep like a baby...except for the vivid dreams which I can never remember in the am. No other side effects, Thank God, except that I would like to be finished with the tabs...I cant say why, but it might be a feeling that the integrity of my 'not smoking status' is'nt as it should be because of the daily tabs..
    I have no craving for a smoke now, but every now and then the thought that I would like a smoke now enters my head...as a defence I take a few very deep breaths releaseing very slowly and sure enough the thought dissapears. By the way I have gone through jars of sucky sweets!
    Should I not smoke again..which is my intention..I dont think I could ever say that ' I have given up cigarettes', but rather ' I havent had a smoke since 21st Nov 2011.' Good luck to you all and thanks for posting to this board as it has been inspirational for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 locater7

first day on champix-smoked for 30 years now-never considered quitting before.besides the health its really too much money on such a dirty habbit

TOMTAC wrote: »
    I have no craving for a smoke now, but every now and then the thought that I would like a smoke now enters my head...as a defence I take a few very deep breaths releaseing very slowly and sure enough the thought dissapears. By the way I have gone through jars of sucky sweets!
    Should I not smoke again..which is my intention..I dont think I could ever say that ' I have given up cigarettes', but rather ' I havent had a smoke since 21st Nov 2011.' Good luck to you all and thanks for posting to this board as it has been inspirational for me.[/QUOTE

Well said! Congrats to you! Had a big grin on my face as I read about your "sucky sweets". I was exactly the same.:D I even got my lollie pops send from Austria, because I could not get them for a while in Ireland. Crazy!!!
    Now and then the thought of a cigarette still enters my head. But it is only for a split of a second and easily brushed off!
    As you put it, I have not have a smoke since the 27th of April 2010.;)

• Advertisement

locater7 wrote: »
    first day on champix-smoked for 30 years now-never considered quitting before.besides the health its really too much money on such a dirty habbit

First step done - many to follow up! Fair play to you. Stick with the board, we are here to help you!

Advertisement