Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champix aka Chantix/Varenicline

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 locater7

thanks connewitz-today first day of double dose-many strange dreams

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Siska010

Hi all,

I just started with Champix yesterday. So I am still only on the one tablet. I have good hopes this will work, though it's too early to tell, I guess. I'm going to read up on the thread a bit, to see what your experiences are!

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭connewitz

Siska010 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I just started with Champix yesterday. So I am still only on the one tablet. I have good hopes this will work, though it's too early to tell, I guess. I'm going to read up on the thread a bit, to see what your experiences are!

Have fun reading all the posts! It was a great support as I thought my battle. Just let us know how you go on. We here to help!:D

2 days to quit day-am looking forward to this in a strange way.smoking less and less each day natrualy am not even thinking about-just concentraing on quit day-fingers and toes crossed

locater7 wrote: »
    2 days to quit day-am looking forward to this in a strange way.smoking less and less each day natrualy am not even thinking about-just concentraing on quit day-fingers and toes crossed

....eyes as well!!!:p

• Advertisement

looking back at this thread its incredible....theses dammm fags have had so many of us hooked...hope i can be like you connie and others encouraging others in months and years to come-sincerely well done to all the quiters

On two tabs since yesterday, but I don't really notice any difference yet. The tabs make me feel really sick if I take them without food. So when I had to take the second one for the first time yesterday, I took it during food and I didn't feel sick at all. I had vivid dreams, but nothing different than usual, I dream alot anyway.

So, I hope to feel some sort of change in me before quit day!

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

I tried Champix, but it didn't work for me at all....however, even after I stopped the course, it was a good month before I could so much as sniff a cup of coffee without feeling nauseous!

Yet, it did absolutely nothing for the cigarettes.

Strange, even my GP couldn't explain what happened there.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭susanweir

Hi guys (old friends and new)!

I make no apologies for the following self-indulgent post.......

YIPPEE - one whole year - yes that's 365 days folks - off the evils yesterday. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Never thought I could do it after 30 years of smoking 20+ a day, but surprised myself (and everyone else). Chuffed with self!:cool:

For newbies, this could be you this time next year. All the best to the new quitters! Stick with these boards and they will really help you. Let 2012 be the year you quit!

I tried Champix, but it didn't work for me at all....however, even after I stopped the course, it was a good month before I could so much as sniff a cup of coffee without feeling nauseous!

Yet, it did absolutely nothing for the cigarettes.

Strange, even my GP couldn't explain what happened there.

I have the same thing when it comes to coffee, and I love my coffee. But it makes me sick now :(
    I'm not sure if it's doing anything when it comes to the smoking, I notice no difference yet... I am still trying to be positive and am going for my quit day.

• Advertisement

locater7 wrote: »
    looking back at this thread its incredible....theses dammm fags have had so many of us hooked...hope i can be like you connie and others encouraging others in months and years to come-sincerely well done to all the quiters

Of course you can do it! DonnieL was over 70 years old as he quit, this means he was a serious smoker for a long, long time. I myself was smoking for over 35 years. If you have the willpower - you can make it.;) Champix is a good drug to help you on your way!

Siska010 wrote: »
    I have the same thing when it comes to coffee, and I love my coffee. But it makes me sick now :(
    I'm not sure if it's doing anything when it comes to the smoking, I notice no difference yet... I am still trying to be positive and am going for my quit day.

There will be up and downs. We all reacted different to champix. Cut out what makes you sick and replace it with something else. I loved to eat lots of cheese, but with the champix, it became a no-no. Stopped eating cheese and went for houmous instead. Now, after 1 year and 8 months without smokes, I can enjoy cheese again. The effect of the champix takes a while to wear off, but in the end - you will be back to your old self, JUST AS A NON- SMOKER!!!:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Three days on the Champix, hoping this will be the one where I quit for good.

I used Champix a few years back and was off them about two months. Hoping that this time will do it.

Congrats to all who've managed to quit and stay quit.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

Hi everybody havent been around, ended up in hospital New Years Eve and was pretty sick before I gave in and went to the A and E.
    I had pheumonia (coughing blood and chest pains) but a lot of things went through my head before I was diagnosed, lung cancer was high on my list, I really thought I was going to die. I spent about 13 hours in A and E before I got into a hospital bed, so that was how I spent New Years Eve, came out this Friday still not a hundred percent.
    Smokers and non-smokers will get pheumonia but what I will say that when I got the antibiotics into me they worked straight away which would not have happened if I had been still smoking.
    Have to take it easy for a couple of weeks now so to everybody who has stopped smoking keep it going and your health will inprove in diifferent ways and I dont wish anybody pheumonia to prove a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 TOMTAC

Another week past smoke free...7 weeks now, Thank God.It is obvious to me now that Champix eliminates/reduces the craving for a smoke otherwise I would not have got this far. I think indeed that the tablets have canceled this craving before the quit day is reached, and that in effect the last few days smoking is from habit rather than from the necessity to satisfy a craving. Of course this then raises the question why the necessity to continue taking the tabs for the next ten weeks. In any event, I have another 3 week of tablet taking and I'm hoping that when I'm finished the craving will not return. Good luck to all those who are starting out and congratulations to all who have recently achieved significant milestones.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭slookie

Hi all, just a brief history. I'm 33, married with first baby on the way on March 16th. As a child and teeneager, I hated cigarettes, the smell etc. Never smoked in secondary school. The year I did my leaving, my lung collapsed, so I spent nearly a month in hospital. Then what does muggins do 6 months later.....starts smoking:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:. Anyway at first it was just when I was out drinking, but then it increased. I still don't smoke that much, typically 3 on a Monday and Tuesday (one on way to work at 1pm, one on way home at 10pm, and one when I feed the dogs when I get home). Wednesday and Thursdays I work 7am till 3, so I'd have 1 on my break at 10am, one on way home, and maybe another 3 over the evening. Then weekends if I'm out I could smoke 15 throughout the day and night, and if I'm not out, I'd smoke 7 or 8.
    Anyway roughly 2-3 boxes a week - still 2-3 boxes too many! So I want to give them up, with the newborn on the way, plus my wife hates them, I hate them, and also my medical history! i'm not sure if I could do it cold turkey, so what is the story with Champix. Am I smoking enough, to warrant taking them? How much do they cost? And for how long?
    Any help appreciated!

slookie wrote: »
    Hi all, just a brief history. I'm 33, married with first baby on the way on March 16th. As a child and teeneager, I hated cigarettes, the smell etc. Never smoked in secondary school. The year I did my leaving, my lung collapsed, so I spent nearly a month in hospital. Then what does muggins do 6 months later.....starts smoking:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:. Anyway at first it was just when I was out drinking, but then it increased. I still don't smoke that much, typically 3 on a Monday and Tuesday (one on way to work at 1pm, one on way home at 10pm, and one when I feed the dogs when I get home). Wednesday and Thursdays I work 7am till 3, so I'd have 1 on my break at 10am, one on way home, and maybe another 3 over the evening. Then weekends if I'm out I could smoke 15 throughout the day and night, and if I'm not out, I'd smoke 7 or 8.
    Anyway roughly 2-3 boxes a week - still 2-3 boxes too many! So I want to give them up, with the newborn on the way, plus my wife hates them, I hate them, and also my medical history! i'm not sure if I could do it cold turkey, so what is the story with Champix. Am I smoking enough, to warrant taking them? How much do they cost? And for how long?
    Any help appreciated!

I smoked about 10-15 a day and when out even more. But I do not think, that the amount you smoke is the point - it is the nicotine (makes you addicted)and the amount of chemicals which go with every smoke into your body. (One of the ingredients by the way is what is used to clean toilets!). :eek: You can read this on the internet!
    This does the damage! So, YES, Champix is also for you. And thinking of wife and baby, what more do you need to encourage you to stop smoking?!?
    Champix is free with medical card, without it, it coast about 120 Euro a month. You need a 3 month`s supply, so it adds up to 360 Euro. Sound a hell of a lot, but add together what you spend on the cigarettes over the year and you will see, you will SAVE money in the end. And with the economy going on like this - the cigs will get more and more expensive. Just a after thought!
    So, it is really up to you now!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 lil missy

Hi
    I have decided to go to the Doc in the morning to get Champix im smoking about 15 years now dont think i can do it cold turkey so im really hoping it works for me . Ive found all your post really encouraging seems to be alot more pro's than con's with Champix . I know i sound vain but i'm a woman and really don't want to put on any weight stupidly this has put me off giving them up before :( I'm planning to stock up on loads of fruit in case i get the urge to replace the cigs with snacks . Have any of you put on weight ? How much ? Was it only a short term thing ? Either way im determined to stick with it and i WILL this time :)

Thanks for the replies. I'd love to give it a go, but it's very expensive. I know it's cheaper in the long run. I know this might not be morally or ethically correct, but I wonder could I get my sister (who has a medical card) to get them for me? Or even my wife, as she has free doctor while she is pregnant. Instead of having to give the doc €50, and then shell out for tablets!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I got through Xmas wihtout smoking, so I'm about three months off them (was just after Arthur's day I quit).

The next big milestone is my wedding, on April 13th, by which time I'll be six months.

I've my Stag on the 25th Feb, so that will be a night just drinking, I've had many of those so far though so not too worried.

• Advertisement

lil missy wrote: »
    Hi
    I know i sound vain but i'm a woman and really don't want to put on any weight stupidly this has put me off giving them up before :( I'm planning to stock up on loads of fruit in case i get the urge to replace the cigs with snacks . Have any of you put on weight ? How much ? Was it only a short term thing ? Either way im determined to stick with it and i WILL this time :)

You don`t sound stupid at all. This was my biggest fear all the time. The first time I stopped cold turkey I put on about 5 kg. But I was so underweight before, it really did not bother me. The second time, I put on 3 kg in only two weeks - this was a no-no! Back I went to the smokes.:mad:
    Before I gave up this time with the champix, I changed my habits. Started to exercise, ate more fresh fruit and veg, drank more water and got more sleep and than started with the champix. Never put on more than 1 kg, and this is normal, even Supermodels put on or loose 1 kg per months! As long as you can manage to stay away from very fatty foods, you will be fine! So give it a try, it is well worth it in the long run!!!!:D I am off the cigs now for one year and 9 month`s. It was the best thing I have ever done! And I am fitter and more toned than I was in my teens!:D:D:D

Thanks for the replies. I'd love to give it a go, but it's very expensive. I know it's cheaper in the long run. I know this might not be morally or ethically correct, but I wonder could I get my sister (who has a medical card) to get them for me? Or even my wife, as she has free doctor while she is pregnant. Instead of having to give the doc €50, and then shell out for tablets!

If not, she will not get a prescription. My doc wanted to see me, while on Champix (side effects and so). Can you not try to make a deal with your chemist and pay weekly? There is no harm in asking. You can get no more than a "NO". ;)

Yes sister is a smoker, wife isn't!

Hi Connewitz
    Well went to the doc and started on Champix this morning feel fine so far :) Have stocked up on loads of fresh fruit and veg sitting here now working out what day i should pick to quit :) Thanks for your reply was very helpful and congrats on quitting you should be so proud of yourself :):D

Yes sister is a smoker, wife isn't!

If your sis wants to help you and has no hesitations to see the doc for the prescription, than she should do it. Some docs will not prescribe them if there are health problems (depression, blood pressure,stomach ulcers). She might not have to see her GP every month. (I had to, because of my stomach history.) Prescription is given for one month and then you have to order again. You will still have to pay the 50 cents, but this is much better than 120 Euro. ;)

Hi Connewitz
    Well went to the doc and started on Champix this morning feel fine so far :) Have stocked up on loads of fresh fruit and veg sitting here now working out what day i should pick to quit :) Thanks for your reply was very helpful and congrats on quitting you should be so proud of yourself :):D

Glad I could help! And congrats - you made the first and major step to become a non-smoker!:D Keep us posted. We are here for you all the way!;)

On day 3 of champix not really finding any difference in the amount im smoking . Have a bad head cold so taste buds are a bit messed up anyway , No side affects so far sleeping like a baby :)

On day 3 of champix not really finding any difference in the amount im smoking .

The cigs start to taste funny after about 5 days. The most of us did not enjoy them anymore and stopped around 7 to 10 days after starting with champix.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭tmabr

hi all, just registered on boards for a bit of support. just paid 133 euro for 4 weeks of champix. really goin to give it a go. im 38 and smoking 20 a day for the past 20 years. the most i ever lasted was 4 days after the alan carr course.

gonna start in the morn, like a few on here , a 1 year old in the house so its well over due

will keep all posted - cheers:)

• Advertisement

tmabr wrote: »
    hi all, just registered on boards for a bit of support. just paid 133 euro for 4 weeks of champix. really goin to give it a go. im 38 and smoking 20 a day for the past 20 years. the most i ever lasted was 4 days after the alan carr course.

gonna start in the morn, like a few on here , a 1 year old in the house so its well over due

will keep all posted - cheers:)

Hi Tmabr
    Best of luck im in the same boat(On day 4 now ) really want to give them up well were on the right road :)

Advertisement