Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champix aka Chantix/Varenicline

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭connewitz

The last 2 days I halved my dosage to 1mg a day because of the sicky feeling. Off smokes 34 days now.
    I woke up this morning in a bad humor. After an hour I put one of my wifes ciggs in my mouth. I will have a shower first and than I will see.
    During the shower I realized that it was the lowering of the dosage that was making me feel this way. I am back up to my 2mg a day and I have no cravings for a smoke. I have read on here that some people halved their dosage because of the sicky feeling and that they have got away with it.
    From now on I am sticking to the prescribed dosage as I found out it can be dangerous to mess around with it. I got a lucky escape. Now I dont mind the sicky feeling so much. Better feeling a bit sicky for an another few weeks than pumping nicotine through my system for the rest of my life.
    I would rely feel a lot more sick if I woke up in the morning knowing that I was back on the smokes.
    Any posters on here thats off them for 2 months or longer I would love to here from them again, to see how they are getting on.
    Dont forget us, we need encouragement.

Hi celticcrash (what a name, hihi),

first I have to say, that you had a very narrow escape there!;) It takes "only" this one cig and you are back to your old habits. Did not have so many side effects myself (one of the lucky ones). And I must admit, that I can not really remember all of them!
    Cigarettes are no longer a part of my life and I am so happy about it and proud of myself. In April I am "clean" for 2 years (thanks to champix).
    Was yesterday in "Supervalue" and a man in front of me bought a pack of cigs (forgot the brand name). He paid € 9,10 for them!!!!!!!!!:eek: Crazy, or what? This hit really home... its like being a junkie and paying a hell of money for the next fix. NO THANK YOU!!!!
    It is not only your health which will benefit in the long run, also your wallet. And don`t we all need a little bit more money in this economic climate?;)
    Health wise I had the following changes: skin looks better, no more raving coughs in the morning, sense of smell and taste got better, my hands are no more red and white with bad blood circulation,no more cold feet, lung capacity up to normal (I am in the gym 4 times a week), all my ulcers are gone, no more reflux, whiter teeth and the list goes on! Why go back to all my health problems? I would be absolutely mad to do this.
    You will feel changes to your health as well, so stick with it. Every minute without a smoke is a little victory!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭useeme

Any posters on here thats off them for 2 months or longer I would love to here from them again, to see how they are getting on.

Day 56 here, 35 - 40 a day for the past 29 years.

Benefits outweigh the cravings.

I have gone through hell here with the withdrawal sypthoms. That is my motivation for not picking one up again.

Stick with it !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 maryannthunder

i started 1 week ago and i have cut my smke intake by half but i dont know what the right dose is because i really dont want to smoke. i am on 0.5mg a day is this right my doctor says i should take 2 per day but the i was only given enougth for one per day is this right please help i dont want too go back a step

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭celticcrash

Treatment Duration Champix Dosages Days 1-3 0.5mg once daily Days 4-7 0.5mg twice daily (morning & evening) Days 8-End of treatment 1.0mg twice daily (morning & evening)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 TOMTAC

Hi,it is just over two weeks since I posted last....I was away and didnt have access to a computer. On my return I was delighted to see all the posting that had taken place, commencement for some and progress for others. I'm just over 15 weeks smoke free now and therefore about 5 weeks since I finished the Champix course. As I was coming to the end of the three month tablet course I was concerned that it was solely because of the daily tablet talking that i wasnt craving for a smoke, and that as soon as the tablet chemical was out of my system I would be looing for a smoke. NOT SO!
    I know I have said it before, but it cannot be over emphasised (I think), Champix kills the craving for a smoke, and should someone revert to smoking after completing the Champix course it is not because of the physical need for a fix to satisfy a craving...because the craving is gone...it is out of habit....and as everyone knows 'old habits die hard'. However, they do die, and as each day passes the 'memory' of the habit lessens also. I find now that there are some days where I would hardly think of a smoke at all, and I understand from contributors to this board, that while the thought of a smoke may never be compleatly be errased, the frequency of such thoughts will deminish. I think I can live with that.
    Stick with it...just dont smoke today! Keep posting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭DonnieL

I just wanted to check in and wish all my friends in Ireland a very Happy and Smoke Free Saint Patrick's Day.:D I was pleasantly surprised to see how well everyone is doing and good luck to the newer members of the forum. Listen to Connewitz she knows what she's talking about!;) Saturday will be a fine test of your will-power!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I've not been keeping a day by day record of how long I've been off them, but it's been since about the first week of October that I started taking the tablets, and probably stopped smoking on about say 10-12, so probably coming up on 5 months.

I've had work nights out, my birthday, Xmas, a dinner with both sets of parents meeting for the first time before wedding, a cup final that went to penalties, my stag night and planning a wedding all to contend with in that 5 months, and have not touched a single cigarette.

I'm getting married in a month, and the six month milestone will be reached by then, then it's a clear push on to a year off them and beyond!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

I have been taking champix now for 8 days. I don't feel any different & my desire to smoke hasn't reduced. I intend to stop on day 14. Is this normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭mrswalton

Des wrote: »
    I've not been keeping a day by day record of how long I've been off them, but it's been since about the first week of October that I started taking the tablets, and probably stopped smoking on about say 10-12, so probably coming up on 5 months.

I've had work nights out, my birthday, Xmas, a dinner with both sets of parents meeting for the first time before wedding, a cup final that went to penalties, my stag night and planning a wedding all to contend with in that 5 months, and have not touched a single cigarette.

I'm getting married in a month, and the six month milestone will be reached by then, then it's a clear push on to a year off them and beyond!

Nice one Des, plenty of opportunity to fall off the wagon there. Best of luck for the big day. Hope you both have a wonderful day.
    jgbyr wrote: »
    I have been taking champix now for 8 days. I don't feel any different & my desire to smoke hasn't reduced. I intend to stop on day 14. Is this normal?

Perfectly normal jgbyr. The closer you get to quit day the more you'll look forward to it. Most of us found that you'd start stubbing out bigger butts, then you'd notice you still had more than you thought in a packet, and it would last longer. But by the time you get to quit day, you may even get a little excited about getting rid of them for good. Just go with the flow. It does take a little bit of will power, but you'll get there.
    Have a good read of this thread if you haven't already. You'll get the gist of it. Good luck.

Thanks mrswalton. I was beginning to wonder about myself & my ability to do this. Great support here.

• Advertisement

Des wrote: »

You are going strong!!! Well done and I do wish you a wedding you and your wife to be will never forget! May you be happy and help each other in every situation life can throw at you! All the best and stay as focused as you are!:D

DonnieL wrote: »
    I just wanted to check in and wish all my friends in Ireland a very Happy and Smoke Free Saint Patrick's Day.:D I was pleasantly surprised to see how well everyone is doing and good luck to the newer members of the forum. Listen to Connewitz she knows what she's talking about!;) Saturday will be a fine test of your will-power!:)

Hi DonnieL happy Patricks day to you also. I"m on day 9 of the champix. I hope to stop on day 14. At the moment I'm reading the thread from the start to gain some confidence from all the previous posts. Currently at August 2009 so I have a long way to go yet :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 smokefree1609

Hi all!!

I am a new comer!!! Ive Read quite a lot of this thread over the past few wks n find it most helpful & encouraging !! Avin tried numerous attemps to quit before i only ever lasted 1/2wks! Smoked for over 23yrs @ 20 per day!!!!

I've now quit since 22nd Feb (Lent) n using Champix - I'm now on day 9 of the second month of tabs!! Luckily very few side affects for me (TG) - very vivid dreams but not nightmares & as ye have said good days & bad days - willpower is def needed but champix def helps wi cravings!! I feel its mind over matter!!!

27 days now smoke free - having saved €270 & NOT smoked 570 cigs (using app My last cigarette) these stats r so encouraging!! I am feeling really great!! I am doing couch to 5km also - and i find that now on wk 4 I can jog for 10mins without gasping - while when smoking would not of been able to jog for 1 min!!

I have a couple of enquiries for ye if I may, Is anyone suffering from constipation/gas?? Not sure whether it's from da tabs r not smoking but def I have this problem!!!

I'm walking/jogging/swimming & going to gym keeping busy as possible but I still have put on 5lbs in the month! :-( been watching my diet too!!! Anyone else find the same???
    Thanks!!
    Finally well done to you all - I can honestly say it does get easier - :-) great encouragement is so important!!! Onwards & upwards!!!!! :-) :-)

Hi all!!

I am a new comer!!! Ive Read quite a lot of this thread over the past few wks n find it most helpful & encouraging !! Avin tried numerous attemps to quit before i only ever lasted 1/2wks! Smoked for over 23yrs @ 20 per day!!!!

I've now quit since 22nd Feb (Lent) n using Champix - I'm now on day 9 of the second month of tabs!! Luckily very few side affects for me (TG) - very vivid dreams but not nightmares & as ye have said good days & bad days - willpower is def needed but champix def helps wi cravings!! I feel its mind over matter!!!

27 days now smoke free - having saved €270 & NOT smoked 570 cigs (using app My last cigarette) these stats r so encouraging!! I am feeling really great!! I am doing couch to 5km also - and i find that now on wk 4 I can jog for 10mins without gasping - while when smoking would not of been able to jog for 1 min!!

I have a couple of enquiries for ye if I may, Is anyone suffering from constipation/gas?? Not sure whether it's from da tabs r not smoking but def I have this problem!!!

I'm walking/jogging/swimming & going to gym keeping busy as possible but I still have put on 5lbs in the month! :-( been watching my diet too!!! Anyone else find the same???
    Thanks!!
    Finally well done to you all - I can honestly say it does get easier - :-) great encouragement is so important!!! Onwards & upwards!!!!! :-) :-)
    Congrats on being a month smokefree. Yes I had a problem with constipation when I stopped smoking. I just starting eating healthier food and now its not a problem. The gas is from the tabs which I found settled after a while. When I smoked I always craved junk food. since I stopped I naturally just went towards healthier food.
    I have put on a couple of pounds but it does not worry me. If I have any problems I will tackle them after the 3 month is up.
    Stopping smoking is my first goal. All the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Paulie907

Hi All

Tomorrow is my Quit day, Day 9 of taking Champix. I have been smoking for over 15 years and feel more confident and positive about quiting then ever before.

I've only had one cig today which was after work and tomorrow will be my first day in a long long time smoke free. The tablets are a huge help as well as people's posts on here which I have been reading the last few days. I'm lucky enough at the moment with the side effects, slight upset stomach and the dreams are a little "out there" at times but also enjoyable as well.

I've ripped up my last pack with a smile on my face....I know it is early days but Im looking forward to being smoke free one day and a time!

Paulie907 wrote: »
    Hi All

Tomorrow is my Quit day, Day 9 of taking Champix. I have been smoking for over 15 years and feel more confident and positive about quiting then ever before.

I've only had one cig today which was after work and tomorrow will be my first day in a long long time smoke free. The tablets are a huge help as well as people's posts on here which I have been reading the last few days. I'm lucky enough at the moment with the side effects, slight upset stomach and the dreams are a little "out there" at times but also enjoyable as well.

I've ripped up my last pack with a smile on my face....I know it is early days but Im looking forward to being smoke free one day and a time!
    Well done Paulie stay positive and take it one day at a time. Soon you will be smoke free and in the near future you will wonder how you stayed smoking so long. Take it easy for a few weeks, dont sweat over small things that come up against you. Tomorrow evening you will be proud of yourself.
    Remember what ever you come up against will pass and that you are on the right path. Even if your boss bawls you out of it and your upset, remember that is only a small thing compared with the achievement of not smoking that day. If a car rolls over your foot and you end up on crutches, smile and say to yourself at least I am not smoking.
    All the best on your journey to good health.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,190 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I'm on day 2 of Champix, woke up and didn't have the craving for a smoke, ended up having one anyway. Early days. What should I expect of the next 10 - 12 days. Should the cravings start to disappear, I need to break the habbit of smoking for the sake of it. I don't need to have one this morning just felt it was necessary.

Yes, after I stopped smoking I was constipated as well and very bloated. Cigarettes irritate the bowels and this is, why we all have to go to the toilet, when having the first cigarette in the morning. Now this irritant is gone, your body has to find a natural way again, to empty the bowels. Try food high in fiber and raw veg and fruit (will lead to more gas, until your body excepts the change). Be patient it will take a while. Branflakes helped me through the worst time!
    Gaining weight is normal as well, but you are jogging and it should not effect you this much. You will be amazed how much energy you will have. Started with 5 min running on treadmill 1 year ago, now I can run for 1 hour! (What the hell had we done to our bodies while smoking?!?)
    Good work everyone! Keep it up!:)

I'm on day 2 of Champix, woke up and didn't have the craving for a smoke, ended up having one anyway. Early days. What should I expect of the next 10 - 12 days. Should the cravings start to disappear, I need to break the habbit of smoking for the sake of it. I don't need to have one this morning just felt it was necessary.

You will smoke for about 7-14 days on champix. Depending on, how your body reacts. Cravings vary from person to person. It is a very personal ride, we all experience different things. Only the dreams seem to be with everyone.
    Stick to your plan and find a day for the last smoke. All the other minutes, days, weeks and months will follow (hopefully);) without a cigarette. Take it in baby steps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Paulie907

Thanks for the incouragement Celtic appreciate it! All going well so far apart from a few mild side effects, feeling a bit nauseous today, but just going to use it as a positive and remember what I'm going through to quit...

The cravings havent been bad at all, I've found the two worst are first thing in the morning and when i get home from work...the two cigs I used too "enjoy" (or thought i did!!) the most...now I find myself taking my time a bit more to get ready in the morning and just have a lolipop or some gum there for when I get home and the cravings quickley pass...the loilpops are great actually as the last quite a bit

Drunkmonkey : What I found was I just got less and less out of the cigs until my brain finally said why are you even somking these things!! Just be patient I guess and stick with it. A little tip, I find I sleep better taking the 2nd tablet early (around 6), it works for me anyway and the dreams havent been as bad since i changed the time.

• Advertisement

Well done everyone - keep positive & remember the positives far outweigh the negatives!! I'm now 32 days smoke free & ave developed a horrible tickely cough!! It's drivin me mad - anyone get the Cough associated wi quitting da cigs??

• Registered Users Posts: 28,190 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Theres a cough going round, just a coincidence id say. You could try this it took the bite out of my cough.
    Get some fresh ginger put in a tall glass, add 3 or 4 slices of lemon and 3 tablespoons of honey. Pour in boiling water, mix well and leave to cool and infuse. Then drink it, not the nicest drink in the world but should knock the stuffing out of the cough. Use plenty of ginger.
    Didn't believe it worked until I tried it the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Do the doctors have any problem issuing you a second round of champix if you "fall off the wagon"

Which is what happened to me. :(

No - it was my 2nd attempt o. Champix b 4 I quit - well on the way - almost 5 wks!!! The first time I only took the first month of tabs n "fell off da wagon"! Determined this time to complete the 3 months and stay away from dirty rotten fags forever!! Go speak to ur doc - there should be no problem!!! Best of luck!!

Drunkmonkey: thanks v much will give that drink a shot!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭mrswalton

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    Do the doctors have any problem issuing you a second round of champix if you "fall off the wagon"

Which is what happened to me. :(

My second time too. Gave up last year in May until September, only took the pills for a month. This time been taking pills and off fags for 2 months. Plan to keep the pills up for the three months.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭MazzR

Hi everyone! I've been reading this thread with interest. Massive congrats to those who have beaten the evil weed!! I've just taken day 2. Was at my doctor yesterday with my baby so just bit the bullet and got them. I've tried everything before,willpower,patches,inhaler,gum,allen carr-all to no avail. I'm really hoping this will be the one! Am a bit scared of the side effects,but then, i'm the type of person who gets every side effect as i'm reading them on the leaflet before even taking any tablets!! I've picked next monday as my quit day...everythings crossed!!!! :D

I have been taking champix now for three & a half weeks but only stopped smoking a few days ago. I initially had decided to stop on day 14 but when it came I didn't feel ready.The cigs were tasting strange but I kept smoking anyway as I still had the same desire to smoke.
    I did want to stop but I suppose I was afraid to take the step.
    Anyway on Monday I decided enough was enough, it was time.
    So I'm now on day three without the cigs & I am glad I decided to stop.
    I have found the champix takes away the physical cravings though I still have to deal with the mental side of things.I could not have tried to stop without them.To an extent you feel like you never smoked as in previous attempts to stop I had this aching in my stomach & a dizziness without the cigs. I don't have this feeling.
    The best feeling so far has been moments when I have forgotten I am not smoking. Everyone has them, you finish a meal & go 'great a cigarette now'. Before I would have had a panic attack when I remembered I was off them but this time I'm not getting these feelings, which is great.
    Its way to early to say I'm cured, but I am hopeful, though mindful that the brain is still very powerful so I'll have to watch myself.
    I have been lucky in that I have no real side effects from the champix. The first few days I felt a little sick after taking the tablet but that is gone now & hopefully will stay that way.

Anyway I thought i would share my thoughts.
    Congrats to all those of you who have stopped & thanks to champix for getting me this far. Long may it continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭tmabr

hi all,

still off the smokes - 12 weeks smoke free :) not even 1.
    off the tabs about 10 days. so happy to be finished with the champix .
    i only took 1 1mg tab per day the last few weeks.

i am now addicted to chewing gum, although 90 cent a day is better than 9.60. the gum helps me and i dont know why , take it as a helpful tip if you like. (normal wrigleys not nicotine).

thanks for all the support over the weeks and good luck to the new quitters:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 frannydouche

Found them excellent, takes away any stress you may feel...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 ourweeboy

Hi
    I would love to give this a go. How was your appetite though? I always went back on them due to weight gain.

Advertisement