Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sentinel Records to Close

• 10-01-2009 7:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭

Just read there that Sentinel Records in the Temple Bar is to close at the end of February. This is a real blow for the Irish Metal Scene. Great shop that tried its best to make metal affordable to buy...

It’s with a deep regret I have to announce the closer of Sentinel, the shop, at the end of February. The last year was an extremely difficult one and with the current climate things are not going to improve any. We’re open just over 4 years now and it has been a continuous financial struggle.

The label, stalls & mail-order will continue. I would like to wholeheartedly thank everyone who supported the shop through the last few years and in particular Adrian, Darren & Peter for all their help. Not to mention Ciaran & Metalireland.

I hope you will continue to support the shop in our last days here & stalls and mail-order in the future.

People with vouchers should use them up as soon as possible and Irish bands that have left their products here for sale just get in touch with me through pm or email sales@sentinelireland.com

Thanks

Scobes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Yeah I heard about this a couple of days ago over on MI, terrible news it has to be said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Sad to hear. Fermanagh (Yes the county, there isn't a single one left in the whole county) lost its last record store a few months back, hard times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Internet; cheaper with more selection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

mp3guy wrote: »
    Internet; cheaper with more selection.

i think you are missing the broader point in this matter.

the shop acted as a meeting place for metallers all around Ireland.
    It stocked demos of bands that you not usually have been sold in any other public places.
    it helped put on gigs.
    it helped fund band releases.
    contrary to your above point it often had cds for quite cheap and even had a section for invictus releases all for a tenner.

this is bad news for the irish metal scene

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

The prices in there were great, I thought. stuff cheaper than I could find it online anyway..

• Advertisement

i think you are missing the broader point in this matter.

the shop acted as a meeting place for metallers all around Ireland.
    It stocked demos of bands that you not usually have been sold in any other public places.
    it helped put on gigs.
    it helped fund band releases.
    contrary to your above point it often had cds for quite cheap and even had a section for invictus releases all for a tenner.

this is bad news for the irish metal scene

My reply was in response to Pugsley.

And anyone fooling themselves into thinking that there's a proper "scene" over here is quite disillusioned. There's only one Irish metal band that has properly gotten anywhere, and that's Primordial (and only has their popularity peaked abroad in the past couple of years).

The music industry in general is pure bollocks in Ireland, no routes for up and coming bands to get anywhere. The only place to get anywhere is in England, or the US.

Otherwise ignoring that and taking a "No way man, fight the machine, support your local metal band!" is just wasting everyone's time and money. The only thing the majority of Irish metal bands can hope for is providing good entertainment and having fun. Ireland isn't somewhere you can "make it".

Naturally there was a huge community surrounding Sentinel Records, but most people only care about price and selection these days, and with access to the internet, it's basically limitless.

It sucks but it's true.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

One less reason to shop in the City Centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Pugsley wrote: »
    Sad to hear. Fermanagh (Yes the county, there isn't a single one left in the whole county) lost its last record store a few months back, hard times.

I know Diamond Disc's is gone a year now but does that mean that Caroline Records in Enniskillen is also gone!

Sentinel was a great store, and gave a fair price on trade in, I managed to get a helping hand from them regarding a TV project in 4th year of college and its sad to see that they will be going now. The title of the project was 'The Future of Ireland's Independant Music Stockist' and we were planning to do a documentary on the cause. Sadly it wasn't given backing by the funding board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

The shop will be gone but the label and online store will still be around.

I was going to go off one over MP3guy's post but I won't as it is just insulting. If you think a scene is solely about "making it" I'm sorry for you, I will now go back to enjoying the music that some of these "wasters" have created.

Irish Halo wrote: »
    The shop will be gone but the label and online store will still be around.

I was going to go off one over MP3guy's post but I won't as it is just insulting. If you think a scene is solely about "making it" I'm sorry for you, I will now go back to enjoying the music that some of these "wasters" have created.
    mp3guy wrote:
    The only thing the majority of Irish metal bands can hope for is providing good entertainment and having fun

I think I addressed what you're hinting at :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

sad to hear :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Terrible news, always loved heading in there whenever I was in dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Serves them right for not giving receipts.

Advertisement