Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC/NTL in Dublin 8 Patrick street area

Options
  • 10-01-2009 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

i'm using UPC 10mb service in the Dublin 8 area.
    at about 6pm-midnight weekdays and all the time during weekends
    i'm getting extremly slow speeds,less than a mb according to
    www.upc.nl/speedtest this is the site upc told me to use.
    anyone else having this problem too?its making any sort of
    online gaming a no go and even browsing the web is abit pointless.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Yip wrote: »
    i'm using UPC 10mb service in the Dublin 8 area.
    at about 6pm-midnight weekdays and all the time during weekends
    i'm getting extremly slow speeds,less than a mb according to
    www.upc.nl/speedtest this is the site upc told me to use.
    anyone else having this problem too?its making any sort of
    online gaming a no go and even browsing the web is abit pointless.

Have you reported it to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Yip

yup called them near the start on december,the guy said he couldnt see any problems with the line etc and said call back if i keep having problems.called them back a few days later this time the guy said that they know there is a problem and it would be fixed at around christmas.start of jan still having problems so called them again,the guy said he couldnt see anything wrong with the line and there was no issues in the area.was starting to think someone is BSing me here.i asked him to get a team leader or manager to give me a call.they called back the following day saying there is a problem with the line it was due to be fixed in december but should be fixed by early january.so basically i havent a clue who's telling the truth had 2 people saying there's nothing wrong and 2 saying theres a known issue.

468kb down
    202kb up
    at the moment,really starting to take the piss now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭cahirhennessy

****e connection in Dublin 1. It's a neverending joke with these clowns.

Yip wrote: »
    yup called them near the start on december,the guy said he couldnt see any problems with the line etc and said call back if i keep having problems.called them back a few days later this time the guy said that they know there is a problem and it would be fixed at around christmas.start of jan still having problems so called them again,the guy said he couldnt see anything wrong with the line and there was no issues in the area.was starting to think someone is BSing me here.i asked him to get a team leader or manager to give me a call.they called back the following day saying there is a problem with the line it was due to be fixed in december but should be fixed by early january.so basically i havent a clue who's telling the truth had 2 people saying there's nothing wrong and 2 saying theres a known issue.

Time to make a formal complaint so.

http://www.upc.ie/pdf/InternalCharterV3.pdf

The above is a pdf and if nothing else will give you a good laugh at how deluded they are about themselves!

Our New Vision

‘Simply for Everyone’.
    ‘We believe that this amazing but often complex, digital world is for everyone. To make this happen, we will bring simplicity and
    a real human touch to everything we do’.

Targets and Objectives
    ChorusNTL is committed to ensuring customers receive “best in class” customer service.

Next thing you know BT will be getting an award for 'Billing Excellence'!

http://www.askcomreg.ie/tell_us/complaints_and_queries.51.LE.asp#L312

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 col_boards

...down here off Clanbrasil street, getting 1 mbps rather than 10 . C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 SOLACY

NTL in Dublin is terrible at the moment. Broadband all over Ireland is pretty much shyt. NTL are on the same lines as Eircom as far as I know so if it's slow on Eircom it's bound to be slow on NTL.

Apparently it's contention...

SOLACY wrote: »
    NTL in Dublin is terrible at the moment. Broadband all over Ireland is pretty much shyt. NTL are on the same lines as Eircom as far as I know so if it's slow on Eircom it's bound to be slow on NTL.

Apparently it's contention...

To put it kindly - if you do not know what you are talking about please desist from posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭digiman

Mines has also been very slow for the last 3 weeks or so, I'm on the 20mb line and in the evenings I am only getting 1-2mb down but always get around 1.5mb up with ping times of between 100ms and 150ms. I'm in Dublin 15 btw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

Im getting it installed tomorrow :eek: hope i don't have any problems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

Absolute friggin crawl here in d4 on 6mb line wtf is the story with this making my life a misery :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bounty

mine is fine, getting 22mb actually

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

it's been fine in Navan for the last few weeks, although it was bad before *xmas.

I don't think that was the same issue though.

*was getting timeouts on everything. seemed to be syncing, but just not passing any data back and forth. happened over the weekend but was fixed on the Monday and not had any problems since although i can see other threads reporting the same kinds of issues elsewhere in the country now so whatever the issue is, it seems like it may be spreading, assuming of course it is the same issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭dog-man-star

Very slow here in Dublin 1 also, from 6pm every evening its almost dial up speeds!

I'm tempted to change provider, I'm just not aware of alternatives.

Very slow here in Dublin 1 also, from 6pm every evening its almost dial up speeds!

I'm tempted to change provider, I'm just not aware of alternatives.

And you read the broadband forum?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭dog-man-star

dub45 wrote: »
    And you read the broadband forum?:rolleyes:

I do,
    and I haven't found another 20mb broadband provider, I thought NTL/UPC were the only ones.. Would gladly change if there was another 20mb provider (because my speeds are still snail paced slow).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Tommy Burns

I'm in the stepaside, sandyford area and am having problems 10 mb line.
    When I first got this back in July it was brilliant till Christmas 9.8mb all the time. Now i'm getting between 1mb and 2.5. Sometimes I get the full amount.
    I sent them an email and they asked me to plug a laptop directly into the restarted cable modem not the router and did a test the speed was grand.
    They said it was something to do with my belkin router and using a wireless connection and I needed to ring belkin.
    But this weekend i have connected my pc to the modem directly and still only getting 2.5mb
    I wonder if when they are asking you to check out the speed while they are on the phone are they switching some temporary switch to get the right results?
    When I first ordered the 10 mb line I asked will there be any contention and I was told that there is no contention with NTL/ UPC is this right?
    I am interested in what other people are being told.

i was first told there wasnt a problem with the line,week later told there was a problem and it would be fixed shortly.then i was told it would be done at Xmas,then at the start of Jan,then i was told end of Jan.all in all i've been told a load of ****e.switching to eircom on monday

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭The-Game

NTL Connection here in South Dub works grand on PC but ****e on Xbox live :( has been for weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

The-Game wrote: »
    NTL Connection here in South Dub works grand on PC but ****e on Xbox live :( has been for weeks
    Hows your xbox connected wire or wireless?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

Still getting crap speeds even with normal browsing:@ F U NTL

Advertisement