Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freezing bread and then eating past best before date

• 10-01-2009 7:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

Right. Say I buy a loaf of bread today. The best before date might be 15.01.09. I pop this in the freezer and I take it out in Feb. I then let it defrost and eat it as if it was just bought.

Is this wrong? Or is the bread ok to eat?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Random wrote: »
    Right. Say I buy a loaf of bread today. The best before date might be 15.01.09. I pop this in the freezer and I take it out in Feb. I then let it defrost and eat it as if it was just bought.

Is this wrong? Or is the bread ok to eat?

Well I always freeze bread and then defrost and eat when im ready.

I have to say, bread is the one thing I have never checked for Best Before. Never. If its not mouldy or hard, ill eat it.

So I must have at some point taken bread that was past its date out of the freezer and eaten it and it has always tasted fine to me, ive never been sick from it either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've done it before many times with no ill effects whatsoever. By the way, if it's a sliced loaf, you can toast it straight from frozen .. very handy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Alun wrote: »
    I've done it before many times with no ill effects whatsoever. By the way, if it's a sliced loaf, you can toast it straight from frozen .. very handy :)

+1 it is very handy

And I have always been amazed at how it doesn't end up soggy at all after being defrosted. But it just doesn't!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I always freeze bread and it's perfect. Sometimes it will be in the freezer for weeks - it makes no difference to the taste or freshness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

It should be fine as long as you freeze food on the day you buy it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

The best before date assumes you don't freeze it.

At its best freezing will let you keep it for up to four months, esp.

If your bread isn't sliced, slice it before freezing, as it can sometimes be a bugger to do to thawed bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Sure bread is great cos you can see if it's gone off or not without any need for a best before date to help you.

If it's mouldy don't eat it, if it's not (whatever the method you've used to stave it off) work away imo...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Right .. seems I owe my mother an apology lol

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

By the way, you can refreeze bread if you defrost too much. It's perfectly safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

What exactly would be the point in freezing it if you were still restricted to the best before date?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

I do it with every loaf of bread I buy tbh.

Advertisement