Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on selling an apartment

Options
  • 10-01-2009 7:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 932 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I want to sell my two bed apartment. I have a number of questions, if anyone can help, please.

1) Can I sell it privately, or must I engage an estate agent? What would either option cost?

2) Can I advertise on daft.ie? How much would advertising cost?

3) I owe €172,000 between two mortgages, the main mortgage taken out seven years ago, and a small additional mortgage taken out two years ago. How much will I have to pay the bank to break those mortgage agreements and sell up?

4) Assuming I found a buyer, how long does the actual sale process normally take?

5) What are my costs likely to be, solicitors, etc? Will I be liable for tax?

6) The market is bad now. My North Kildare based apartment was valued at €280,000 two years ago. There is one presently for sale at €260,000, for the past eight months. I imagine I would have to pitch at €220,000 to engage any interest at all. I would accept €200,000, if I thought it would be enough to satisfy the bank, and costs, and have a little left over. What are people's experiences and opinions, please?

My fear is that if I were to wait another year, and the worst case scenario were to arise in the economy, I would end up owing more than I could sell my apartment for, and I cannot afford that to happen, under any circumstances.

I am aware of the option to rent out, but I specifically want advice on what selling would involve, in order to be fully informed on all my options.

Many thanks.

Advertisement