Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon.com - jan 12 - gold box day for video games

Options
  • 10-01-2009 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

Just into my mailbox this morning...

"Dear Amazon.com Customer,

As someone who has shopped Video Games at Amazon.com, you might like to know that on Monday, January 12, 2009, the Amazon.com Gold Box will feature video game products for video gamers all day long.
    "

Gold Box deals are usually extra special deals on things - things can be anything from dog brushes to boxflex exercise machines...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox

is what gets me there... YMMV

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,866 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Hmmmm.. good for PC games but not for 360 / PS3 owners surely (unless they own an US console).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

basquille wrote: »
    Hmmmm.. good for PC games but not for 360 / PS3 owners surely (unless they own an US console).

All ps3 games are region free and many 360 games are also

grimm2005 wrote: »
    All ps3 games are region free
    Yikes.. how did I not know this as a PS3 owner?! :o:D
    grimm2005 wrote: »
    and many 360 games are also
    I thought only select sites like PlayAsia sold the region free copies.. but learn something new every day.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭davork

Nintendo DS's - all region free
    Nintendo DSi's (the new one) - is region locked (as per pegasus15 - thank you sir(!))
    Wii's - locked to regions (albiet there are some s/w workarounds but you cannot then update the wii's firmware)
    PSP's - 'some' games might be region locked (we have US and Taiwanese PSP's which seem to run everything we throw at them)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Yikes.. how did I not know this as a PS3 owner?! :o:D

I thought only select sites like PlayAsia sold the region free copies.. but learn something new every day.

Cheers.

yep, as long as the developer/publisher hasn't region coded it, then it can be played on any xbox, no matter where it came from. Most don't afaik but EA and rockstar do. im sure lists are easily found through google

• Advertisement

Yeah, I knew DS's and games were region-free as bought one in the US from about €80 during the Summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Pegasus15

Yeah, I knew DS's and games were region-free as bought one in the US from about €80 during the Summer.

Can I just point out though, that the new DSi (which is currently only available in Japan) is region locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Do Amazon.com ship games to Ireland though?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,582 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

they do on Blu-Rays & DVD's not sure on games, as I know their uk site won't ship games for some silly reason?

Also does anyone know if you buy a 360 or PS3 game from the states and its region free, is there any impact on playing online with it Or will it work as normal?

apart from just trying it on my amazon.com account for raving rabbids on the wiii (and choking when I saw the shipping charge), here is what they say at

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=596184

"The following items can be shipped to almost all destinations outside the U.S.:

* books*
    * DVDs
    * music
    * VHS videos

Additionally, some consumer electronics, health and personal care, home and garden, jewelry, pet supplies, shoes, software, sporting goods, tools, video games, and watches can be shipped to the following countries:

Australia, Austria, Canada, Chile, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom"

• Advertisement

Hmm,

The website claims that shipping to europe is USD 3.99 for the box and then USD 3.99 for each item

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/596194/pop-up

However it's charging me USD 41 for some reason, which is rather more than the USD 11.97 I'd expect. I don't seem to be able to reduce this - also they take a deposit for import duty...

So watch out tomorrow.. the deal might be murdered by shipping... :-(

I've changed the times to irish time.... (8 hours ahead of the pacific time beloved of Amazon)... I'll update with the game being offered (as time permits)

http://www.bingegamer.net/2009/bargain-gaming-amazon-gold-box-edition/ has the following plus guesses...

2:00 PM - Romp through the garden with your pets.
    Slightly obvious imo: Viva Piñata: Trouble in Paradise, Viva Piñata: Pocket Paradise, of course there is the sad chance it could be one of those many many (many) Ubisoft Petz games
    Littlest Pet Shop: Garden

4:00 PM - A PS3 game that dreams are made of.
    A couple of choices here that all kind of make sense: LittleBigPlanet, Eternal Sonata, SingStar
    Eternal Sonata for PlayStation 3

7:00 PM - This should hold you over on Xbox 360 until Final Fantasy XIII releases.
    These two Square games come to mind: Infinite Undiscovery, The Last Remnant
    The Last Remnant for Xbox 360

8:00 PM - A kid named Ben + Aliens + Wii = Bensational!
    It has to be: Ben 10 Alien Force
    Ben 10: Alien Force for Wii - USD 19.99

10:00 PM - Slimy and award-winning - what else would a PC owner want?
    Two choices really stick out here: Spore, World of Goo

12:00 AM (tuesday) - An alternative to No Child Left Behind.
    This could go so many ways: Left 4 Dead, Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader: Make the Grade, Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader (DS), Bioshock, Imagine Teacher

2:00 AM (tuesday) - Get bonus goodies with this radiant crescent.
    The most confusing clue of them all: Luminous Arc 2, Halo 3 Legendary Edition

Luminous Arc 2 for DS - some kind of special pack with cd's cand cards.. no price at 8:40pm Irish time (and honestly I expect to be asleep at 2am(!))

Advertisement