Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 93 Discussion ***Will Contain Spoilers***

Options
  • 10-01-2009 8:57pm

Ok so there seem to be a few threads about UFC 93 so this one is not for discussion of the fights themselves when they go down. Note that spoilers noted in the title so discuss away (I'd imagine most of us are going to it anyway).

Date: Saturday, January 17, 2008

Venue: The O2 (formerly the Point Depot) in Dublin.

Main Card:

Rich Franklin vs. Dan Henderson
    Mauricio “Shogun” Rua vs. Mark Coleman
    Denis Kang vs. Alan Belcher
    Marcus Davis vs. Chris Lytle
    Rousimar Palhares vs. Jeremy Horn

Undercard:

Martin Kampmann vs. Alexandre Barros
    Eric Schafer vs. Antonio Mendes
    Ivan Serati vs. Tomasz Drwal
    Thomas Egan vs. John Hathaway
    Nate Mohr vs. Dennis Siver

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

You got Tom Egan's record wrong. He is 6-0 in MMA, 4-0 fully pro.

Copy and paste job. Send an e-mail of complaint to mmamania.com :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,301 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Copy and paste job. Send an e-mail of complaint to mmamania.com :)
    Or maybe change your original post?

Mellor wrote: »
    Or maybe change your original post?

No. Because the records are their PROFESSIONAL records. The other 2 in Toms 6-0 are semi pro AFAIK. 4 pro fights and 2 semi pros.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,301 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You have him down as 3-0,
    maybe he has 3 semi-pro

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Perfect fit

hes 4-0 pro 2-0 semi pro

Right done, lets talk fights now shall we. SIGH :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

Um Neil, you seem to have forgotten to include Ivan Serati's illusive draw of 2001, I will not stand for this nonsense.

War Diaz.

Right, records deleted, let's actually talk about the bloody sport now will we.

Anyone else think the fact that Hendo vs Franklin is at 205 will make any difference as opposed to 185? I think that will favour Rich as it allows him to come in bigger as he usually walks around at about 220lbs while Hendo walsk around closer to 205. Just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

I want to see Franklin win just because I think he'd be funnier on TUF.

I dont really have much evidence that hes actually funny, but I think he looks a bit like Jim Carey and thats good enough for me.
    Also Bisping said he wants to fight Henderson and Bisping has an annoying accent. So by this logic, WAR Franklin.

• Advertisement

UFC released this preview online for you to watch. It's about 15-20 mins long, I wasn't counting when i watched this morning.

Franklin is very funny in it when Hendo says he visualizes himself on top of Rich "beating the sh1t out of him".

Henderson by KO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Mikel

Anyone else think the fact that Hendo vs Franklin is at 205 will make any difference as opposed to 185? I think that will favour Rich as it allows him to come in bigger as he usually walks around at about 220lbs while Hendo walsk around closer to 205. Just a thought.

You mean franklin cuts from 220 to 185? :eek:

Mikel wrote: »
    You mean franklin cuts from 220 to 185? :eek:

I think he diets to get down to around 200 and cuts the rest but yes I'm 99.999% sure that his walking weight is between 215 and 220.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

I think he diets to get down to around 200 and cuts the rest but yes I'm 99.999% sure that his walking weight is between 215 and 220.

Considering the volume of training that Ace does, i find this very hard to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

99.999% are u sure?? :pac: :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Jaguar...works eighty percent of the time, all of the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Mikel

Ah ok that sounds a bit more human, I thought dehydrating 35lbs sounded like a freaky amount to cut...... still maybe he does, who knows?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

I think this raises a very interesting question in modern MMA. the significance of the weight cut. I'm the first to admit I don't know anything about weight cutting and it's effects on an athlete. But....

I think boxers in general don't really have an issue finding a weigh to fight at. because they start so young and all through their careers they try and stay as light as possible but as powerful as possible. so when a guy makes that move from amateur to pro, he probably knows exactly what weight he will fight at, even if the differences between the upper and lower one are just a couple of kilos. in my uninformed opinion, joe blogs the pro boxer fighting at 154 lbs will find it a huge step up fighting at 160 lbs, even though, on paper, to an outsider, that looks like a neglible amount. can you imagine the ufc having the same weight classes as the wba. it would be more like professional yoyo then fighting.

my point i'm trying to make is, I'm not interested in seeing how well a fighter can fight after he diets down and then cuts another 10lbs. i want to see 2 similarly sized guys fight. of course, we can't stop people weight cutting but ....

in the case of sean sherk and kenny florian, two guys that fought well at 170, they decide to cut to 155 and make a go at the championship. fair enough you'll say, they'll find it easier fighting smaller guys like huerta as opposed to beasts at 170 like gsp and alves. but what's the point of kf and ss cutting to 155 to fight each other at 155. why don't we just say, listen, you both walk around at the same weight, why don't you just fight at 170 and not break your heart cutting water and just concentrate on fighting.

so going back to neil's question, will the fact this fight is taking place at 205 rather than 185 make a difference to the out come? we can say they're both seasoned pros who have the cut down to a fine art so maybe not. but in the wider view of things, do you care what weight class joe stephenson and diego sanchez fight at as long as they come in at the same weight? do you care what weight class fedor and randy fight at as long as they come in around the same weight? do you care what weight class chuck and silva (either w or a) fight at as long as it's fair?

if kenny florian and sean sherk are going to cut to 155 to fight at 155 only to both enter the cage at 170 what's the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Coleman - Rua and the Egan fights are the only ones I'm really interested, don't really care for Hendo vs Frankling tbh, neither ever was my favorite fighter.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Franklin is very funny in it when Hendo says he visualizes himself on top of Rich "beating the sh1t out of him".

I thought it was a lame attempt at humour myself. Go Hendo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 LukerC

Was just wondering if any fighters are training in irish gyms before saturday(excluding tom egan)? i taught most of the fighters like to be in country about a week to avoid jet lag and to get acclimatised, are most of them training in england?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

did anyone record the interview on 2fm this morning, got a text about it being on but missed it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

did anyone record the interview on 2fm this morning, got a text about it being on but missed it?

Gerry Ryan?

Usually it appears as a Podcast failing that there is onlys a stream.

EDIT: I guess it was this:
    Wednesday 14th January 2009
    Ultimate Fighting Championship fighters compete over 3 x 5minute rounds using techniques mixed from boxing, Olympic wrestling, kickboxing, Thai boxing, judo and jiu-jitsu. The Championship opens 2009 with a star-powered card at The O2 in Dublin this Saturday, January 17. UFC spokesperson, Irish boxer and Olympic Medal winner Wayne McCullough joins UFC's President's Dana White in studio with Gerry this morning to discuss the sport's growing popularity.

http://www.rte.ie/2fm/ryanshow/

Id guess they will be on Matt Cooper this evening as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

cheers will check the podcast so when its updated. will try matt cooper later too. thanks

OK lads, remember all discussion of the event goes in here. No need for a load of different threads on the one event.

I'm just back from the weigh in. It was good, Coleman looked huge for a 205 lb fighter. No hiccups regarding missing weight. Tom Egan looked to be enjoying the spotlight but focused and composed at the same time. Before the weigh in Bisping presented himself to the public for photos and autographs. I am not his biggest fan but to be honest he showed genuine class in dealing with the fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

im in citi bar at the mo and michael bisping is here havin a few beers

poor lad, hope he gets left alone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Highnoon

The big day is finally here. Just had a bit of grub and looking out a the terrible weather - wind and feckin rain! I'm heading in and expect to be there for 5ish. My brother in law rang the O2 who said the event will go on till around 10.30 tonight. That there'll be Irish fighters (plural not just Egan) on first? So he'll head in for the later bouts.

I thought there were only 10 fights but I aint taking any chances and will be there to enjoy it from the kick off. If it turns out that there is alot of Irish guys fighting first then all the better. Just hope there not the ones sitting in the audience ;)

Going for Franklyn and Rua (though I'd like to see Coleman give him a hard time)

Advertisement