Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 93 Discussion ***Will Contain Spoilers***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Mikel wrote: »
    I doubt he has one discipline, more likely well rounded in all areas.
    But the gym he trains in is well known and iirc is run by two very highly regarded wrestlers

The way he kept catching Egans leg reminded me alot of Judo. Fair play to the guy, he did well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Gained a new respect for coleman tonite, He fought his heart out and was classy in defeat. He seems like a good dude.

Yeah I agree, I thought for his age he did incredibly well. He had Shogun on the deck at one point and was landing a few strikes, I thought we was gonna pull it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Derek Coleman

Got the pleasure to chat to Hendo last week and he told me he was up for fighting Bisping and coaching the Ultimate Fighter. He also told me Franklin didn't want the coaching job cause he didn't want to be away from his family. After seeing the fight it kinda seemed like Hendo wanted it more. (just my opinion). I think pride took over for Franklin in the third round when he thought he would lose and thats why he stepped it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

That and his corner pretty much told him to cause he was losing the fight.
    Also I think his plan going into the fight was always to try and make the most of the 3rd when his cardio advantage would be at its strongest.

TelePaul wrote: »
    Yeah I agree, I thought for his age he did incredibly well. He had Shogun on the deck at one point and was landing a few strikes, I thought we was gonna pull it off.

It was like rocky or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Hathaway dominated Egan but I felt it was a premature stoppage, he was only elbowing his arms. I would have liked to see it go to the second round and see Egan throw his hands. The event was absolutely amazing. Great undercard fights too.

Maybe it was hard to tell from being at the event but once the ref pulled Hathaway off him, Egan looked fairly out of it. The elbows were definately doing more than just catching his hand/arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

The event was absolutely amazing. Great undercard fights too.

Glad to hear the undercard was good. As for the main event, I thought it was the least entertaining ufc card in ages..Nearly all the fighters gassed out early, not too many finishes, not even any real great fights. Hopefully this card doesnt put of any newcommers to the sport, as its usually alot more excting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Derek Coleman

I think the worst signing the UFC has ever made was completely battered tonight. And that man is Ivan Serati. I've seen him in cage rage and he was awful and gassed in every first round. And I had no faith that his abilties had got any better. I don't know what the UFC thought they were getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

over all had a good night, very dissapointed with Shogun and his total lack of fitness, Coleman was there for the taking early on and Shogun didn't have the gas to finish it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Glad to hear the undercard was good. As for the main event, I thought it was the least entertaining ufc card in ages..Nearly all the fighters gassed out early, not too many finishes, not even any real great fights. Hopefully this card doesnt put of any newcommers to the sport, as its usually alot more excting.

If you were there in person you would be signing off my hymnsheet. Seeing it live was an experience I'll never forget. I am a happy camper and will go to the UFC when it hits the continent for UFC 99:), if I have the money:D

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

If you were there in person you would be signing off my hymnsheet. Seeing it live was an experience I'll never forget. I am a happy camper

here here. I agree with you, being there was amazing. Really enjoyed it, the undercard had good fights and the main card was good.

Couldnt believe Coleman lasted as long as he did, His corner had to carry him back to his stool between rounds. And i dont believe the judes would have given him the decision either.

Only thing bad i can say about tonight is a couple of the fans in my section, someone threw a beer in the direction of the cage, it hit the fans just behind bernard dunne. and another idot shouting racist stuff at John Hattaway during the egan fight, He totally freeked out the lady sitting in front of him, had her in tears. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Chris89 wrote: »
    Watch it for the sport, it's not Fair City or the hills. Who cares what they said.

Just back from this (and a few post UFC drinks at a friend's who'd made the trip up for different reasons) now.

I enjoyed it, I have to say, although the o2's layout is a little odd for it, of course my only experience of live UFC was the Odyssey in Belfast for 72 prior to this.

5 and a half hours of fight action for those who got there for the prelims wasn't bad for the price i paid for my nosebleed tickets (but hey, i got to look up at the ones in the haemmorage area! ;) ), but for what it was worth i enjoyed it. Felt bad for Egan, his first loss in his hometown isn't gonna be easy to look back on, but at the same time, psychologically it will either build him or break him.

Coleman/Rua, almost put me to sleep until the last minute of the last round. I've never seen two people gassed out so quickly in my life! Didn't make for the most entertaining of fights but i'm glad it ended in a definite decision, because christ knows what the judges would have given it (and their reasoning for it too!)

Franklin/Henderson, had a feeling Henderson would take this, despite rooting for Franklin, but not like that. I had Henderson down for domination, but this looked very neck and neck from where I was sitting.

Crap, this is all I can remember so far... I intentionally didn't drink at the o2 so i could remember the fights, but then got ratted at a hotel later. I'm in for a hell of a hangover in the morning, but hopefully i'll catch the Setanta repeat. :)

Great night in my honest opinion, would go again in the o2 for sure. Wonder how it went for UFC in general? I remember Dana wasn't particularly impressed with Belfast for 72...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Coleman was the hero of the night for me.. Because in future everytime I (or someone else) try to write myself off, or make excuses's for my age (I'm 43 in March), bitch and moan about injuries. Or when I'm completely gassed and think I can't fight any longer I think I'll remember this and hang on in for another few seconds.

Defo the fighter of the night for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Mairt wrote: »
    Coleman was the hero of the night for me.. Because in future everytime I (or someone else) try to write myself off, or make excuses's for my age (I'm 43 in March), bitch and moan about injuries. Or when I'm completely gassed and think I can't fight any longer I think I'll remember this and hang on in for another few seconds.

Defo the fighter of the night for me.

I agree, Coleman made the night for me, other than that the event sucked.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

CyberGhost wrote: »

Ok :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

CyberGhost wrote: »

I don't know if I'd say it sucked, but for me it was certainly an anti-climax after some smashing fights.

I feel so bad for Egan, poor lad never got off the start line really.

Nerve's, inexperience at that level, preparation, youth?.. Who know's but he can only improve on last night so the show goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

It was like rocky or something.
    it was like rocky 4 where everyone in the crowd is shouting for Ivan Drago and then by the end are shouting for Rocky, where Drago was Shogun and Rocky was Coleman

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

rovert wrote: »
    Ok :confused:

Henderson - Franklin was boring
    Egan lost
    Don't care about Kang
    Horn fight was boring

Coleman was the only fighter that genuinely wanted to win, too bad he didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Turbo_diesel

Thought Coleman was excellent as well for a man of 44 he tried his heart out. Felt sorry for Egan as well he was totally dominated by Hathaway. Don’t know whether Hathaway had more strength or just a better ground game than Egan. Nerves could have been a factor for him & probably lack of experience with only four fights under his belt. Seen his interview on UFC.com & he didn’t fell as if the ref stopped it prematurely. Wish him all the best & hope he can win his next three fights. Had the luck to bump into him in Eddie Rob your pockets afterwards & he is genuine sound man. No problems with him letting me get the obligatory photo in as well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭cashville

Does anyone know if Egan will get another fight? I know it was a 4 fight deal he signed, but after such a disappointing showing will he get another shot?

Was at it and I thought it was great...why are people giving out? Dennis Siver gained a few fans with that finish, Alan Belcher won out of nowhere with a nice submission, Marcus Davis' fight the atmosphere was amazing,ok so Tom's fight was a massive anti-climax but I'm glad Hathaway won because of the clowns booing him, Hendo/Franklin was disappointing, Coleman/Rua wasn't a great fight technically or anything but Coleman showed so much heart...I could go on,it was a decent card in fairness...hopefully they'll come back.

How did it come across on TV? I think the crowd let themselves down booing Hathaway, but on the other hand when there was a lull in the action or when it went to ground for long periods they didn't boo,or it seemed that way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭p to the e

I think the worst signing the UFC has ever made was completely battered tonight. And that man is Ivan Serati. I've seen him in cage rage and he was awful and gassed in every first round. And I had no faith that his abilties had got any better. I don't know what the UFC thought they were getting.

after he lost me and my mate turned to each other and simply said "he was just crap wasn't he?". he had a good first run but after that he was gone

cashville wrote: »
    How did it come across on TV? I think the crowd let themselves down booing Hathaway, but on the other hand when there was a lull in the action or when it went to ground for long periods they didn't boo,or it seemed that way
    The crowd came across very well. There's a link to a sherdog forum topic singing the crowds praises further back in the thread.
    And as someone pointed out already, booing the guy that's going to fight the home town hero is hardly a lack of class, it's pretty much expected.

Coleman was apparently going to win the fight if it had lasted another 20 seconds.

Judges had it 1-1 and Coleman was winning the 3rd.

if that's true then it would have been the single worst decision in UFC history.

I watched it again when I got home, Shogun dominated rounds 1 and 2 in every way except for being taken down. Coleman was winning the 3rd. A very clear 29-28.

But then again one judge gave round 1 to Rich Franklin so they clearly weren't having a great night anyway.

Why is everyone freaking out about hathoway being booed?
    He was fighting the only Irish guy on the card..
    And when he won everyone clapped and showed him respect. It's all part of the show.

I was there and it was an amazing night. Will definitely go to the next!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭call d

Trolling is not accepted here - 10 day ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Sm0ke

Mairt wrote: »
    I don't know if I'd say it sucked, but for me it was certainly an anti-climax after some smashing fights.

I feel so bad for Egan, poor lad never got off the start line really.

Nerve's, inexperience at that level, preparation, youth?.. Who know's but he can only improve on last night so the show goes on.

hopefully with alot more training and work on every aspect of his game, maybe feed him a can or two for his next fight. I want him to well for national pride and all.

I didnt see it last night so i aint jumpin on the Egan bandwagon just yet! It was his first real challenge tough and hopefully he can move forward from this one. I'd say its nerve racking to do that in front of ur home country on your debut tough.

also for the argument against Coleman being ahead in the fight, I believe UFC score more points for takedowns? so I had Mark Coleman ahead on this Criteria aswell. I'll have to rewatch it tho so dont slate me just yet ;)

Shogun tough what is up with him :/ watched some of his pride fights again when i got home and i cant believe its the same fighter :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

Sm0ke wrote: »
    lack of talent aswell probably.
    :rolleyes:

Roper wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

I agree. I'm gonna give a warning here and now. Sm0ke, first and last warning, no more of that. Only reason I'm not banning you was because you MAY have meant that he was too raw, so I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt.

Be VERY careful - Fighter bashing gets a permanent ban.

A fighter may be outmatched, have an off night, not be at the races mentally. That is not a golden ticket to start having a go. I'm going to permanent ban the next idiot I see making stupid remarks about fighters.

I know Tom Egan a bit and he's a gentleman. He got beat by a better fighter, he's 20 years old, it happens. This doesn't just apply to him but ALL fighters.

Sitting at your computer bashing guys who have more courage than you could ever have, and who actually get in there and fight themselves instead of talking sh1t on the internet, is not big or smart, and not acceptable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

if that's true then it would have been the single worst decision in UFC history.

I watched it again when I got home, Shogun dominated rounds 1 and 2 in every way except for being taken down.

He got taken down a lot though. I would probably have given Shogun the first two rounds too but it wouldn't have been beyond the realms of possibility that the judges might have given Coleman one of those rounds.

Advertisement