Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 93 Discussion ***Will Contain Spoilers***

Options

Comments

He got taken down a lot though. I would probably have given Shogun the first two rounds too but it wouldn't have been beyond the realms of possibility that the judges might have given Coleman one of those rounds.

Here's the thing though. What did he do with the takedowns? Not a whole lot except in round 3. Shogun nearly had a heelhook, a kneebar and an omoplata.

Round 1: Shogun dropped Coleman, dominated the standup and had numerous sub attempts and a takedown of his own.

Rd2: Shogun again dominates the stand up, except that Coleman lands 3 or 4 stiff jabs. Shogun lands some nasty legkicks (phrase used without permission from Joe Rogan:D) Coleman gets takedown and spends the last minute or so of the fight in an omoplata.

Rd 3: Comelan would have taken the round as he got his second wind and dominated up to the KO.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Here's the thing though. What did he do with the takedowns? Not a whole lot except in round 3. Shogun nearly had a heelhook, a kneebar and an omollata.

Round 1: Shogun dropped Coleman, dominated the standup and had numerous sub attempts and a takedown of his own.

Rd2: Shogun again dominates the stand up, except that Coleman lands 3 or 4 stiff jabs. Shogun lands some nasty legkicks (phrase used without permission from Joe Rogan:D) Coleman gets takedown and spends the last minute or so of the fight in an omoplata.

Rd 3: Comelan would have taken the round as he got his second wind and dominated up to the KO.

True although all three judges apparently had it 1-1 going into the 3rd according to MMA reporter Oliver Copp. I wouldn't necessarily agree with that scoring but that's what he was told in the building.

Also I spoke to Joe Rogan after the event and he asked me who I thought had won the main event. I said I thought Franklin won as he landed much cleaner strikes and was the fresher fighter in the final round. I had it 29-28 Franklin after I had Hendo win the 1st round. He then said that he agreed and that he had said as much to Rich after they didn't give him an interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Also I spoke to Joe Rogan after the event and he asked me who I thought had won the main event. I said I thought Franklin won as he landed much cleaner strikes and was the fresher fighter in the final round. I had it 29-28 Franklin after I had Hendo win the 1st round. He then said that he agreed and that he had said as much to Rich after they didn't give him an interview.

I had Hendo with the 1st and Franklin winning the 3rd.

2nd round was very close but I would probably lean towards Hendo as he generally controlled the action despite not doing a whole lot with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

I thought hendo just nicked it tbh. But i wouldnt have been too surprised had it gone d otr way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭TLG

hello

i have a question i was there and they were playing rap music at the start, there was a song i think one song after a 50 cent song, i couldnt make out any words but it had gun clicks in it like 'click click' and singing from a singer. what was the song called does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭David Jones

A couple of thoughts on last night.

I thought most of the fights were entertaining, Siver, Kampman impressed early on (I'm now one of 14 on his win record ;) ), disappointed for Kang he is better than that performance showed and despite Belcher's comments of being a force after the fight, I don't agree.

Coleman impressed the hell out of me maybe thats cause im the wrong side of 30 but Rua's still has suspect cardio and I think there are a good few 205lbers who will stay above him in the rankings till he gets that sorted. Jeremy Horn like Coleman is from the early days, and anyone with over 100 fights deserves respect, he was in against a very technical bjj guy and managed some offence both on the ground and the feet, I thought it was good to be able to say I have seen probably one of his last outings.

Ok now the crowd.

Whoever had the bright idea of allowing people to bring drink back to their seats should be shot. I lost count after 15 times the people directly in front of me stood up to go out and get more beer or stood up to go and once again empty their bladders and p*ss away what they had purchased 15 mins previously. So if you were in Block E row 30 seats 24,25,26 etc thanks you made the whole experience less than a pleasure. Everything in this country revolves around alcohol, its embarrassing and sad.

Booing

I will put up tomorrow footage of the typical uneducated, drunk, scumbags, who booed someone in every fight, kept asking the ref to stop them hugging the q**ers repeatedly shouted and gesticulated that Henderson was a w***ker and only cheered the ring girls and when the rap and dance music came on in between. God love who was behind them.

I have been to 4 UFCs albeit ones in the 30s and 40s and although beer is available its there to wash down some hotdogs or whatever, its not the point of the evening. As I felt when I was on the door for all those years, I think we let ourselves down on many occasions, we just cant have a good time with out booze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

That's why it's worth paying €250 for a seat; it means you're surrounded by normal people.

Great night, hope they come back soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

anyone talking to allistair overeem or semmy schilt? i nabbed them for a photo early in the night and i think they spent the rest of the night taking photos, the poor lads didn't seem to get much peace between fights! Overeem said he was talking to the UFC about a deal at the moment but nothing was definite. I think he'd be a welcome addition to the UFC heavyweight division.

I thought most of the fights were entertaining, Siver, Kampman impressed early on (I'm now one of 14 on his win record ;) ), disappointed for Kang he is better than that performance showed and despite Belcher's comments of being a force after the fight, I don't agree.

Coleman impressed the hell out of me maybe thats cause im the wrong side of 30 but Rua's still has suspect cardio and I think there are a good few 205lbers who will stay above him in the rankings till he gets that sorted. Jeremy Horn like Coleman is from the early days, and anyone with over 100 fights deserves respect, he was in against a very technical bjj guy and managed some offence both on the ground and the feet, I thought it was good to be able to say I have seen probably one of his last outings.

Ok now the crowd.

Whoever had the bright idea of allowing people to bring drink back to their seats should be shot. I lost count after 15 times the people directly in front of me stood up to go out and get more beer or stood up to go and once again empty their bladders and p*ss away what they had purchased 15 mins previously. So if you were in Block E row 30 seats 24,25,26 etc thanks you made the whole experience less than a pleasure. Everything in this country revolves around alcohol, its embarrassing and sad.

Booing

I will put up tomorrow footage of the typical uneducated, drunk, scumbags, who booed someone in every fight, kept asking the ref to stop them hugging the q**ers repeatedly shouted and gesticulated that Henderson was a w***ker and only cheered the ring girls and when the rap and dance music came on in between. God love who was behind them.

I have been to 4 UFCs albeit ones in the 30s and 40s and although beer is available its there to wash down some hotdogs or whatever, its not the point of the evening. As I felt when I was on the door for all those years, I think we let ourselves down on many occasions, we just cant have a good time with out booze.

Thought you weren't goin?! :D

I agree. I didn't drink and at the end of the show we met Joe Rogan. Myself and my brother (who was also sober) were talking to him and had to contend with drunken idiots literally pushing us out of their way so they could get a photo with him. Joe was actually trying to tlak to me about the main event and was very friendly to us and I've only got good things to say about the bloke. I got photos with a few fighters but every single fighter I had the courtesy to say "Could I get a photo with you please" and thank them after. The amount of idiots who just expected it of them and were obnoxious about it disappointed me. A prime example was Mike Goldberg. For the 20 or so minutes of idle time between the end of the prelims and the live broadcast starting he was in his chair throwing back a few red bulls and then having a moment with his wife/girlfriend who was in the seat right by him. As he was giving her a kiss and hug and talking to her, some obnoxious drunken idiot started shouting and grabbing at him to pose for a photo with him and his mates. Goldberg was courteous enough to do all of that with a smile on his face etc but I thought that was such poor form. I always thought Irish people were better in this respect but I guess I'm wrong. I'm not even gonna get into talking about the **** in the crowd, despite, from the sound of it, me being lucky and not having too many where I was (block A right beside where most of the fighters bar Coleman and Franklin came in).

I also agree, Kang was disappointing because you just know he has so much more than he has given in the past year. And yet again he loses a fight he should have won and was well on the way to doing so until he got sloppy/tired.

Re disrespect shown to fighter: It's highly annoying but unfortunately unless you screen who buys tickets so only trained martial artists who know everything that's going on get tickets, this is what you're gonna be up against.

That was my 4th UFC having been to Belfast and 2 in London and tbh I'd rather go to another one in London than in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Turbo_diesel

Pity to hear there were so many negatives from people but as I said in a previous post you will always get scumbags turning up to these events. They go just to take the piss & have no real appreciation of the sport. You get the same scumbags who turn up for Dublin matches during the summer. D'ont have a clue what they are watchin & give the rest of us Dubs fans a bad name.

Back to Egan I hope the lad has every success in the future. Would be great for Ireland having an MMA star. I"m sure with more experience he can go on to be a great fighter. From Danas blog they were looking for him to fight in London? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUxAzbtxB2I

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

Didn't get to go to this in the end. :mad:

Watched Tom's fight this morning, feel bad for him, he looked out of his depth. Hopefully he'll get another shot and come back stronger next time. Fighting in the UFC after only 4 pro fights is a big ask in fairness, fair play to him for stepping up. Hathaway just looking really really good (it was my first time seeing him fight), plus I'd imagine his experience fighting on bigger shows would have been a help as well.

It was a brilliant event. I had a great seat next to the ring. They really need to do something about those camera men though!

I saw a few of the fighters walking around the IFSC on the Friday night (I said hello to Mark Coleman) and I shook hands with Dana White at the event.

Totally worth the money and I would go again. I would also get the €250 tickets again after reading about the number of drunken skangers in the normal priced section!

Hard luck to Tom Egan - he got some beating. At one stage while on the ground he looked towards his corner with a really confused look on his face. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Ok now the crowd.

Booing

Got to agree on this - and this coming from someone who likes a beer - I couldn't understand people coming back with trays of beer in between fights and the constant getting up and down for refills. I mean, if you want to go on the piss and watch the show, why not go to a boozer with Setanta and pay normal prices - I just don't get it.
    Also, the amount of people who left 1 ) during the hendo - franklin fight and 2 ) in between the end of it and the decision being announced - it wasn't a clear cut decision by any means, so why leave? Very annoying and I suppose there's always going to be a few people there who don't really have an interest, just want to impress their friends by sounding tough and saying they were there.
    I've been to four events now, and this was probably the most complete " event " even if the fights were not the absolute best. The atmosphere at a card like Saturday was excellent, makes you wonder what it would be like for a Penn - GSP fight, or something similiar if they were to have it in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭roakey

AARRRGH wrote: »

Totally worth the money and I would go again. I would also get the €250 tickets again after reading about the number of drunken skangers in the normal priced section!:(

the way you are talking you'd swear that the "normal section" is where the poor people sit or something. ony the rich and famous site in the 250euro section. get over yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

roakey wrote: »
    the way you are talking you'd swear that the "normal section" is where the poor people sit or something. ony the rich and famous site in the 250euro section. get over yourself.

I dont think you have to be rich to pay 250 a ticket for a one of event in fairness. Maybe in Vegas were that section can run into the thousands..

roakey wrote: »

Have you not read the other posts here? My opinion is based on what others are saying - people constantly walking past them to get drinks, people screaming abuse at the fighters, etc. At least in the €250 section people were taking the event seriously (i.e. not getting buckled or whatever) as they have paid so much for their seat, and of course, in general skangers won't pay €250 for a ticket!

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bigslick

I was in the 250 euro seats as well,, Block E row 7 in cas ya saw me, puuely because this is a big event for me as i constanly watch UFC, and can tell u there was no trouble. Not many people were moving round me, and all seemed to enjoy the fights for what they were.

I got one of those Fight link things as well, bloody essential I would say. People were asking me what was going on when they pulled Coleman and Rua apart (and by the way, was obvious knee to the shoulder and not the head). All in all great fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭TLG

i have a question i was there and they were playing rap music at the start, there was a song i think one song after a 50 cent song, i couldnt make out any words but it had gun clicks in it like 'click click' and singing from a singer. what was the song called does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

It was something like "X gonna give it to ya" by DMX.
    Actually liked hearing it when I was there.

There were a couple of guys who had pretty crappy entrance music....I was suprised how much that can effect the crowd. But then you can't please everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

I also paid 250 euro and I was in Block C (Great view) I was bang in the middle so I did have to pass a lot of people if I wanted to go to the jacks or the bar but it was no problem when I did, I said sorry to people as they had to get up and they all said no problem. There was 6 of us there and were all drinking and had a great time, No trouble what so ever in Block E and if there was I did not see it. Thought the O2 was great (could do with more jacks) and (IMO) the fans did us proud. Hope they come back to Dublin again as I had a great weekend.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Have you not read the other posts here? My opinion is based on what others are saying - people constantly walking past them to get drinks, people screaming abuse at the fighters, etc. At least in the €250 section people were taking the event seriously (i.e. not getting buckled or whatever) as they have paid so much for their seat, and of course, in general skangers won't pay €250 for a ticket!

This isnt true to be honest, there was as much of it going on in the 250 seats as anywhere. I posted this on the other thread about the crowd, i was sitting in Block D about 10 rows back in a 250 seat, this happened in block E right across from me, also 250 seats. Liger also commented on it in the same thread.

There was a group of guys and one of them was going nuts when Tom Egan lost shouting racist abuse at Hattaway when he won and threw the end of his beer down towards the cage. Some of it spilled on a girl in front of him and he was shouting and roaring at the cage and it was scaring her how he was going on and she got upset. He was flipping out like a complete retard but at the same time didnt have a clue what was going on really apart from some irish guy was fighting an english guy and knew nothing about the sport. Later on he was stumbling round the place drunk and him and his mates kept shouting and roaring all the time, complete idiot with no knowledge of what was going on and was there cos it was fighting and an excuse to get drunk. Security in the stands were pure non existant, idiots like that should have been told to cop on or get out. I aslo had a group of 4 lads behind me constantly shouting in my ear saying put him in an armbar or hit him in the face, introduce him to your elbow, acting like idiots.

Nothing like that where I was, block C!

Attached is a picture of my view of the ring - pretty good!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

Nothing like that where I was, block C!

Attached is a picture of my view of the ring - pretty good!

I was just a few rows back from you then. Block C had no trouble, the only thing I seen was this guy who thought he was at a rave back in the 90's dancing like someone who took a few E's, he even took his shirt off and started to do a Hulk Hogan type pose (what a d**k)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

I was just a few rows back from you then. Block C had no trouble, the only thing I seen was this guy who thought he was at a rave back in the 90's dancing like someone who took a few E's, he even took his shirt off and started to do a Hulk Hogan type pose (what a d**k)

that's weird, i was in block n and same thing happened!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

Just going back to the Tom Egan fight. I don't think anyone in Ireland would beat Hathoway at 77kg. I think himself and Gunnar Nelson would be a fantastic fight and if Gunnar's management could get that sorted before UFC London ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Just going back to the Tom Egan fight. I don't think anyone in Ireland would beat Hathoway at 77kg. I think himself and Gunnar Nelson would be a fantastic fight and if Gunnar's management could get that sorted before UFC London ....

You robbed my thoughts!.

I was thinking the very same thing, now THAT would be a cracker.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

Some rotten experiences there for some people.Have to say i had a great night. I sat beside my mates and 3 lithunian lads who literally didnt make a sound or move(apart from the odd 15 minute breaks) at all.I had to look over at them just to make sure they were alive.For the whole 4/5 hours they never even talked to each other and just mumbled something in lithunian when people tried to squeeze by them.TBH i prob enjoyed the night more than if i was surrounded by drunken twats shouting abuse as others have posted.I drank myself and was fairly locked but made sure it didnt affect other peoples night.

Hard luck to Tom but he was competely overwhelmed.He just didnt seem to want to be there and had a lost look on his face.I just expected alot more as he talked about championship belts etc in interviews,goes to show you cant believe the hype.Then again hes 20,first massive show etc so hes nothng to be ashamed of,im sure hes a bright future anyway

Was anyone sitting in block A? From what I could see it looked like this:

1. Octagon, then
    2. Seats directly around the ring (where Dana White sat), then
    3. Seats where some fighters and Dana's kid sat (about three or four rows of seats), then
    4. Wall, then
    5. Three of four more rows of seats

So, does anyone know if row A of block A was in 3 or 5 above?

• Advertisement

I was in Block A but I don't know what you're trying to ask.

Advertisement