Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 93 Discussion ***Will Contain Spoilers***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I was in Block A but I don't know what you're trying to ask.

OK :)

Have a look at the attachment. Where did block A begin, was it directly behind Dana or directly behind the wall?

"More Seats" as far as I know. The others were not for public but for UFC VIPs.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

davmol wrote: »
    Hard luck to Tom but he was competely overwhelmed.He just didnt seem to want to be there and had a lost look on his face.I just expected alot more as he talked about championship belts etc in interviews,goes to show you cant believe the hype.Then again hes 20,first massive show etc so hes nothng to be ashamed of,im sure hes a bright future anyway

Yea you can't underestimate the value of experience. A lot of pressure for Tom and he would have been very much aware all eyes were on him. No doubt he will prove he belongs in the Octagon but he is very young and fairly inexperienced (he's only been training MMA for 3 years if I hear corrrectly) so it will take time.

Just my amateur opinion, but he needs to start lifting a lot of heavy weights. It seemed to me that he lacks the physical strength to deal with takedowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

AARRRGH wrote: »
    Just my amateur opinion, but he needs to start lifting a lot of heavy weights. It seemed to me that he lacks the physical strength to deal with takedowns.

Think he just needs some wrestling training. He's obviously doing BJJ and striking but Hathaway just took him down at will the last day and even Hathaway's wrestling looked sloppy but he definitely had more experience using it than Egan did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

They have wrestling coach out is SBG now so hopefully he'll improve on that

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭David Jones

Depending on how much weight Hathaway cuts, I would like to see Aidan Marron fight him. And speaking of Davey P's guys if ever a guy deserved a shot in a big show its Greg Loughran, someone with connections should get him on a UFC card at lightweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

Depending on how much weight Hathaway cuts, I would like to see Aidan Marron fight him. And speaking of Davey P's guys if ever a guy deserved a shot in a big show its Greg Loughran, someone with connections should get him on a UFC card at lightweight.
    +1
    If any Irish fighter deserves to get a shot in the UFC it's Greg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Didnt go to the fights, but had a fairly decent seat at the weigh ins, and have to say, Egan looked alot smaller than any of the other fighters there, 155ers included..

There is some absolute monsters at 170 in the ufc, and considering the way hathaway scooped him up and slammed him so easily, maybe bulking up, or dropping down are worth contemplating.

Cant wait for his next fight anyway as Im sure he has alot more to show us than he did on saturday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Campbell M

It was my first UFC but i thought it was great.

I dont drink but dont care if other people do. Had to stand up a couple of times to let a few people out but I guess that is to be expected.

I thought the crowd were good, had a drunk guy beside me who was "interested in taking up MMA" ;) like every drunk person in the crowd but he was harmless enough (just talking ****e).

Didnt understand all of the crowds reactions either. Booing, etc but i thought they were pretty good in general and i was surpised at the level of understanding shown by quite a few around me.

The fights were not the best i have seen but there was still plenty of excitement.

Shame about the result of Tom's fight but he is only 20 so still has a great career in front of him. Full credit to him for being good enough to be signed up by the UFC in the first place and for having the Balls to fight someone as experienced as Hathaway.

A Good night overall :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭DeadlyByDesign

Tim_Murphy wrote: »
    +1
    If any Irish fighter deserves to get a shot in the UFC it's Greg.

Would like to see Greg, think I would more like to see Aidan though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

what was the damien dempsey song Tom Egan came out to? can't seem to find it!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Dan133269 wrote: »

"Patience"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Dan133269 wrote: »
    "Patience" Great song and i love damo. But not really a great entrance song imo. Each to his own tho..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

another plus one for greg loughran competing at the highest level. I haven't seen enough of aidan marron. Don't know if GL is big enough for ufc 155lbs (or if anyone in ireland is) but he's excellent.

Slightly off topic - but I just ran into a miserable looking Jeremy Horn buying toothbrushes in my local Spar,so chances are the rest of the guys are still hanging around Dublin.

Slightly off topic - but I just ran into a miserable looking Jeremy Horn buying toothbrushes in my local Spar,so chances are the rest of the guys are still hanging around Dublin.

Did you say hello to him?

Where's your local spar?

Its the new Eurospar just off Windmill lane...His face was badly swollen up and he had 2 black\purple eyes...I said Hi,shook his hand and told him it was a great fight,he replied "yeah...sure"

So I made the wise choice to leave him alone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 jughead202

Just going back to the Tom Egan fight. I don't think anyone in Ireland would beat Hathoway at 77kg. I think himself and Gunnar Nelson would be a fantastic fight and if Gunnar's management could get that sorted before UFC London ....

what about emmett mc nally think he would have gave him a good go ??????
    was tom not supposed to fight mc nally ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

that's weird, i was in block n and same thing happened!

I seen this guy when I was coming back from the bar, I think it was just before the Show Gun fight, Not sure what block this guy was in but it was the 250 euro section as he was down by the front.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Ran into Horn before the fight, he didnt seem that interested in the whole thing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Just a note about the show:
    The show drew 9,369 fans to the O2 Arena in Dublin for a $1.3 million gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

dunkamania wrote: »
    Ran into Horn before the fight, he didnt seem that interested in the whole thing

The lad has over 100 MMA fights,it was probably just a matter of another day another dollar for him,just a quick scrap to get money for those toothbrushes he needed from the spar

Why was Mark Coleman booed by so many fans when he made his entrance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 LukerC

Good article in 5 Oz. of pain about the ufc 93 pay per view.

http://fiveouncesofpain.com/2009/01/19/postcard-from-the-couch-ufc-93-franklin-vs-henderson/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

jughead202 wrote: »
    what about emmett mc nally think he would have gave him a good go ??????
    was tom not supposed to fight mc nally ?

I think a Hathoway / McNally fight would go a similar way to the Hathoway/ Egan fight. Hathoway would take him down and control him from top. Only one way to find out though.

All the Pro Wrestling fans :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

I wasn't there but it's pretty clear from the promo videos that the ufc made in the lead up to the fight.
    Whether accurate or not they basically portrayed Coleman as this lunatic that broke Shogun's arm and then wanted to keep fighting him. And then wanted to fight his camp. The clip where he's talking about standing / stomping on Wanderlai Silva's head isn't exactly flattering to say the least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bigslick

rovert wrote: »

What the heck is with picture 5????

Looks like his head came apart lol

Advertisement