Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How much to offer?

Options
  • 10-01-2009 8:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭

Just asking on behalf of a family member who hasn't quite been converted to the Boards way of life yet..

So, they found a car they liked around 2 weeks ago. Has all the spec and extras they want and it's in good condition etc.. so they're pretty happy with it and they're thinking of putting in an offer on it.

Afaik the asking price on it is around 18k. For anyone who's interested it's a 2.0 Diesel.

However, they did their homework on this car and have found out that the last previous owner traded it into the garage way back last April, so it's been sitting, unsold, at the garage for the past 9 months or so.

Given that the car has been there for so long and still remains unsold, and given the current climate it's likely to be sitting there for a long time to come yet, they're wondering what sort of offer they should put in?

They would be cash buyers, no trade in, straight deal all the way.

Also, I think they're anxious to test-drive it for say 2-3 days.. what's garages stance on this? I guess they want to get a proper feel for the car and check the MPG etc... before committing themselves and placing an offer.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

If I was a cash buyer and looking for that car I'd take 10K down to an auction and buy it there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭pandamoanium

Tbh don't think they'd be mad gone on an auction - fear of the unknown.. :rolleyes:

Plus, they're the wrong end of the country for the big auction houses like Merlin, they only have small ones where they're living where most of the stock would be around the 500-2000 price range.

Really though an 18k for 10k at an auction? Feckin' hell must get me down to one soon! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

To be honest, I think you're looking at it the wrong way. How long the car has been in stock is irelevant. how much they have on the window is irelevant, how much discount you're getting is also irelevant.

The only important figure is how much you're paying for the car, and how much you could get a similar car for elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭pandamoanium

How long the car has been in stock is irelevant.
    I'm not arguing with you, but I'm just curious as to why you say this?

Granted I'm no expert when it comes to cars, far far from it in fact, however the way I see it is, if the car has been there for the past 9-10 months surely it is just depreciating in value with each passing month.

Would it not be better for them to sell it at a discount now rather than having it taking up space and further still decreasing in value each month for only knows how long?

From what they've said the price seems to be good when compared to similar cars, of course though they're looking to strike it lucky and get a bargain in what is now a buyers market.

On saying that though, I've just done a quick search on car zone and they could get a brand new 09 model for just E21,995. Granted it isn't the same spec and hasn't got all the extras.. but still.. it would be a brand new car! Unregistered too.

I think they're just looking for some sort of ball park figure to have in mind when it comes to making an offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

colm_mcm wrote: »
    To be honest, I think you're looking at it the wrong way. How long the car has been in stock is irelevant. how much they have on the window is irelevant, how much discount you're getting is also irelevant.

The only important figure is how much you're paying for the car, and how much you could get a similar car for elsewhere.

+1

There is no point in looking at the price they are asking now in terms of it being sitting there for 9 months ... most garages that are not in denial have been revising their prices downwards multiple times in the last 6 months.

You didn't say what it is or the age/mileage, or did I miss that ? However, if it was traded in 9 mths ago (and was secondhand then), I'm guessing 2007 ???? I wouldn't give 18k for any 2yr old car that can be bought new for 21,995. Also remember road tax is lower on most 2.0Ds registered after Jan 2008.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The reason it's not relevant is that they may have (and probably have) cut a huge amount off the original price they had on the car.
    Of course it depreciates every month it's in stock, but unless you know how much the car is really worth or how much they have it costing them, then you're in the dark.

The car may have been way overpriced when it came in, they could have knocked 10k off their asking price in the meantime.

Also bear in mind that on certain cars, the range may start at 21995, but the one you want may be 31995!

Advertisement