Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cracked cylinder head - repair/replace?

Options
  • 10-01-2009 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

I have a '93 BMW which has a cracked cylinder head. So far I have 2 choices, replace with one from a dismantler's (looks like it will be a UK one), or have the crack milled out and a repair welded in. Apparently it's referred to as 'stitching the head'.

The head is aluminium, and so far the only place I've found that can do aluminium cylinder head repairs is High Precision Motor Products http://www.hpmp.ie/.

I've had a couple of places which don't do it, state that it doesn't really work. But on the other hand I've see on other online boards that it can work perfectly well, but it depends on the shop doing the work. Since these were all in the US, it doesn't provide a great comparison. I would really need to hear how well the workshops here manage it.

I know that it also depends on where the crack is, and the extent of it, both of which I haven't got the full details of yet. Will know more Monday.

Right now, I can get a replacement head (includes cams) from the UK for €300 shipped to my door, supposedly part of a fully working engine previously. But I'd probably want to have it pressure tested anyway. The repair job, depending on exactly where the crack is, would be €130+VAT, and obviously a pressure test as well.

In general how successful are these repairs, and does anyone have any experience of it and whether it lasts or is a last resort if there are no viable replacements available?

Also has anyone got one done with hpmp? What was your experience with it afterwards?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Personally, I'd be in favour of replacing it.

That said, I know nothing of this stitching you mention. How much will it cost vs the price of a new head?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Right now, I can get a replacement head (includes cams) from the UK for €300 shipped to my door, supposedly part of a fully working engine previously.

This would be the one I'd be going with. You wouldn't know what you would be getting into with the other option, it could be repaired and pressure tested when it is cold, only for a crack or fissure in the weld site to become apparent when the head is back in the engine and running hot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 YourCourier.ie

A friend recently cracked the head on his 2.8 Pajero. He was advised to buy new. Priced it here at €795 + vat for a bare head (use your own valves, cams etc). Got a new bare head, bolts and gasket set from Milner off road (uk) delivered to his door for £400 about €440.

I say go new.

Advertisement