Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

streets of sligo

Options
  • 10-01-2009 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭

hi...while i'm sure that some of you already know this,
    i just thought i would post up and let others that maybe interested
    and have not come across a recent book by Sligowoman
    Fiona Gallagher called "the streets of Sligo", which is currently onsale.
    it covers the evolution and urban growth of the town over the past 7
    centuries and while there have been other volumes written in the past,
    i think that this would be a welcome addition to any Sligonians library.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CSC

Can you tell me where this is on sale? Is it on any website?

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

Sounds good, where is it on sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

keohanes in castle street had a couple left when i
    was in there today...don't let the price put you off
    its around fifty euro but its a book for life.well worth
    the money,got it myself for christmas,got one for my dad today
    and hope to send one to an uncle in england before long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭slapbangwhallop

dardevle wrote: »
    hi...while i'm sure that some of you already know this,
    i just thought i would post up and let others that maybe interested
    and have not come across a recent book by Sligowoman
    Fiona Gallagher called "the streets of Sligo", which is currently onsale.
    it covers the evolution and urban growth of the town over the past 7
    centuries and while there have been other volumes written in the past,
    i think that this would be a welcome addition to any Sligonians library.

have it - thought it was pretty crap - just a rehash of material already available in books that are out theree.

She could have done some primary research or uncovered something that isnt already out there.

have it - thought it was pretty crap - .

well entitled to your opinion...imo any book that brings to the fore
    the history of our town, in a time when so much of that history
    is being torn down or paved over is no bad thing..just my opinion.:)

• Advertisement

well entitled to your opinion...imo any book that brings to the fore
    the history of our town, in a time when so much of that history
    is being torn down or paved over is no bad thing..just my opinion.:)

Yeah thats what I am saying - its doesnt bring ANYTHING new to the fore - its simply a rehash of books that are already out there.

Just just at the sources on each page.

Nothing new in it - 50 wasted - IMO! :)

a HISTORY book with nothing new in it!:eek:

maybe you can get a refund.

I really enjoyed the "Down Gallows Hill" book that was brought out a few years ago.
    Was going to buy this book as a Xmas present but couldn't see it online anywhere. Think I will hold off now for a while before I pick one up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

CSC wrote: »
    Can you tell me where this is on sale? Is it on any website?

Scroll down to the bottom of the page -
    http://www.booknest.ie/cgi-bin/webstore/webstore.cgi?page=sshist.htm&cart_id=

a HISTORY book with nothing new in it!:eek:

maybe you can get a refund.

hilarious. if you are going to bring out a new history book at least go through newspapers of the day or uncover a new source.

She has basically copy and pasted her way to a book - its pretty embarrasing.

• Advertisement

CSC wrote: »
    I really enjoyed the "Down Gallows Hill" book that was brought out a few years ago.
    Was going to buy this book as a Xmas present but couldn't see it online anywhere. Think I will hold off now for a while before I pick one up.

been trying to get a hold of a copy of that for a couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

is it a large book...many pictures showing Sligo evolving through time?

been trying to get a hold of a copy of that for a couple of years.

I remember buying it off the author himself (Gunning - can't think of his first name now) at the time. Great book - loads of photos and stories of Sligo through the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Lenscape by James Eccles is a top notch book. I'll never stop looking through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Lenscape by James Eccles is a top notch book. I'll never stop looking through it.

Yes that is a really good book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

have it - thought it was pretty crap - just a rehash of material already available in books that are out theree.

She could have done some primary research or uncovered something that isnt already out there.

I agree with you there. I spent 3 or 4 minutes reading it in a bookshop before I spent my 50 quid, and was glad I did not buy it then. I read what she wrote on a street I know the recent history of extremely well, and because she was wrong in that, it gave me no confidence to trust her on the history of anything else in the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭shellyriver

Hey Jimmy

Shellyriver here - ha ha -- imagine I agree with you! on some thing.

What street was inaccurate? I bought the book and to be honest (and I know my schizzel) if was not a bad attempt. True as said by slapbang it was a rehash. Feel she basically wrote about 20 versions of the same book in an endeavour to be a authoratative tome -- bought it, and read it over X-mas. Overstretched and thin on the ground.

Don't you think you were a little cheap -- do a dry-ride read and leaving your thumbprints on the pages! Fair enough it was a bit pricey.

Don't you think you were a little cheap -- do a dry-ride read and leaving your thumbprints on the pages! Fair enough it was a bit pricey.

I do not think I was that "cheap", no. I went in to the bookshop, where I have left a fair bit of money over the years, to buy a book before Xmas. Rather than spend 50 quid without checking the contents of the book, I quickly flicked through the pages until I read something not quite true....while most of the book was / is probably ok I decided to buy another book in that shop instead. I can assure you my thumbs were clean. Most people do not spend 50 quid on such a book without flicking through a bit ...as the saying is, never judge a book by the cover ! If it was 25 or 30 I may have bought it....I may even buy it someday yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭shellyriver

Well done on leaving significant sums with book seller in days gone by.
    Well done on ensuring the mits are hygienic.
    Well done on keeping an open mind about purchasing in the future.

Basically, well done:cool:

Ps What was not 'quite right'? I bet your wrong:D

Ps What was not 'quite right'? I bet your wrong:D
    I will not bore you with details, but I can assure you I am not wrong. I have spent a lot of my life in that street, know all the neighbours, have seen deeds etc. Still, no book with so much information could be 100% right, and fair play to the author for at least trying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

If you've come here looking for a post you made that's no longer here, it's been deleted for going off topic.

Any questions, feel free to pm me or takola, and any new posters should be sure to read the Sligo forum charter.

jimmmy wrote: »
    . I read what she wrote on a street I know the recent history of extremely well, and because she was wrong in that, it gave me no confidence to trust her on the history of anything else in the town.

jimmmy....was just wondering since most of what is in the book
    has already been in print before in other volumes written about Sligo,(re-hash as some would have it)
    have you come across this incorrect history in the books that have gone before or do you think it's only this book?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

Does she explain why Sligo still has many roads with pre-Independence names eg Knox Street, Victoria Road etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Essexboy wrote: »
    Does she explain why Sligo still has many roads with pre-Independence names eg Knox Street, Victoria Road etc.?

Mr Xiney was always saying how Sligo was a barracks town. I'd wager that's the reason.

Essexboy wrote: »

not sure exactly what you mean there.

The Line along the Hill was called the Victoria Line and Pearse Road was the Albert Line (maybe other way around), O'Connell Street was Knox Street. Protestant minority control what happened in this town for a long time and name the street after "their" religious, royal and political leaders.

Thankfully thats all changed but even up until VERY recently most of the main retail business were owned by the same old Protestant families.

Xiney wrote: »
    Mr Xiney was always saying how Sligo was a barracks town. I'd wager that's the reason.

It was called a "Barracks town" or "Barrack town" because of the main British Army barracks was located in the town - on Forthill.

The reference to Barrack town is usually used as a to reference to the perception of a pervasive British culture or mindset of the inhabitants of the town - for example football being the main sport in the town and not Gaelic etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Xiney wrote: »

Garrison Town; Garrison Town
    Jasas Xiney, if yer gonna label us at least get the label right:D

still could be worse than a few street names
    could be cork, with changing the name of Cobh to Queenstown of their own accord, flying the union jack all along the top of Patricks st as late as 1905 of their own accord (no law saying you had too) and being the home of the orange order:eek:

few street names aint so bad;)

not sure exactly what you mean there.

The Line along the Hill was called the Victoria Line and Pearse Road was the Albert Line (maybe other way around), O'Connell Street was Knox Street. Protestant minority control what happened in this town for a long time and name the street after "their" religious, royal and political leaders.

Thankfully thats all changed but even up until VERY recently most of the main retail business were owned by the same old Protestant families.

Lower Knox Street is the stretch of road between Wine Street and Stephen Street, including the bridge - Lyons and the Post Office are situated there.
    I was told that the road between Duck Street and Hughes Bridge is still Victoria Road (no sign to confirm this)
    And who was the queen in Queens Stores Road? :confused:

knox street (or o'connell street as is) and lower knox street were named after a prominent buisness family of the day(1784),in 1898 the first nationalist dominated corporation proposed the name be changed to
    o'connell street but the name change was not applied to that portion referred to as lower knox street,the victoria line ran from victoria bridge to the junction of duck street/barrack street and was renamed markievicz road in 1943,the 'kings' stores were erected in the reign of george III but the title changed to queens stores in 1847 with the reign of victoria and because she reigned for 63 years the name stuck!

• Advertisement

knox street (or o'connell street as is) and lower knox street were named after a prominent buisness family of the day(1784),in 1898 the first nationalist dominated corporation proposed the name be changed to
    o'connell street but the name change was not applied to that portion referred to as lower knox street,the victoria line ran from victoria bridge to the junction of duck street/barrack street and was renamed markievicz road in 1943,the 'kings' stores were erected in the reign of george III but the title changed to queens stores in 1847 with the reign of victoria and because she reigned for 63 years the name stuck!

Thanks. You certainly know your Sligo.
    Just wonder how the name Lower Knox Street survived but it is better than the current habit of calling streets after long forgotten councillors!

Advertisement