Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

streets of sligo

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭shellyriver

:cool:Hi Dardevle

Don't think you're right re Markievicz Road or Lower Knox Street.

Markievicz Road is the old Albert Line (he of the c*ck ring and hash smoking wife). Curious to call it Markievicz Road -- because when she was given freedom of borough, 'Separation Women' of 'Da Hill' aka Forthill (as they did at the 'Ropak') hoisted union jacks and other patriotic emblems, stayed out, drinking tea and singing songs, along with pelting her with stones --because their menfolk were fighting the Hun etc.:P

At the juncition of Barrack Street and Duck Street, bounded by The Coslaigh Stream and Charles Anderson's 'Charleville' -- on what title deeds show was Sir John Montgomery's Parks -- was a small street called Knaggs' Row -- an old sligo building family, long dead.:cool:

Lower Knox Street was the 'crooked approach' to the humped bridge which existed before the Sir John Benson / Noblett St Ledge (who feel out before) the 'Victoria Bridge' erected (and hence that famous Collooney man's name isn't inscribed on the limestone of what is now called 'Hyde Bridge'.

Mere pedantry -- but I believe correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

albert line is what is now know as pearse road, or as we used to know it as simply'the line'...markievicz road was the victoria line or as we called it 'the point line' as it was the road to rosses point.

lower knox street was not applied to a geographic area by me...i mearly
    stated what i believe the origins of the name were.

mere pesantry...up or down:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

not sure exactly what you mean there.

The Line along the Hill was called the Victoria Line and Pearse Road was the Albert Line (maybe other way around), O'Connell Street was Knox Street. Protestant minority control what happened in this town for a long time and name the street after "their" religious, royal and political leaders.

Thankfully thats all changed but even up until VERY recently most of the main retail business were owned by the same old Protestant families.
    Nice use of relgion there, throw the word protestant in their one more time unapporiately please?
    It was called a "Barracks town" or "Barrack town" because of the main British Army barracks was located in the town - on Forthill.

The reference to Barrack town is usually used as a to reference to the perception of a pervasive British culture or mindset of the inhabitants of the town - for example football being the main sport in the town and not Gaelic etc.

Again i have to wonder, are you from sligo or outer space, GAA is more prominent than Football in this town, go to a GAA game and a rovers game and see the difference in attendance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Again i have to wonder, are you from sligo or outer space, GAA is more prominent than Football in this town, go to a GAA game and a rovers game and see the difference in attendance.

1.How many games a year do Sligo GAA play compared to Rovers?
    big event so get bigger attendance

2.How many Gaa clubs are in the town, how many football clubs?
    you can strech it to:
    How many Gaa clubs in the county, how many football clubs?
    if you want, but the figures wont help you:o

The first one set up inside the town in recent history (before boundry was extended and St Mary's became part of town) was set up by a football team to keep fit during summer (think it was City Utd lads in early/mid 90's)

3.How many registered(all levels) or formerly registered Gaa player in town
    HOW MANY registered or formerly registered(all levels) football players?:eek:
    No need for exact figures or asking me for exact figures (which you were bound to do) because as you even know its slightly:o in footballs favour

ooh and Euskal, most of the people(as you well know) at Sligo Gaa games are from the county, not the town:o
    and what about people supporting "other" football teams :o

Stay Classy!

Sorry mods if off topic
    but couldnt let him attack a fellow poster with loaded "how many show up to see Sligo lose at GAA once a year is proof of it being bigger" line
    and FOOTBALL is an important part of what this town is!

ooh and thats true about the prodestant cartel running the place and naming everything
    My grandfather's lot were prod and switched sides before he was born
    but years later, as in when he was in his 40's/50's he was still getting the nod and the wink in shops and was generally looked after :)
    Still, would have prefered if they had stayed prod, rich id be, as rich as jesus :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

elshambo wrote: »
    couldnt let him attack a fellow poster with loaded "how many show up to see Sligo lose at GAA once a year is proof of it being bigger" line

Why is one being bigger than the other a point of personal attack?

Everyone cop on, stay on topic and don't confuse sports rivalries with something that has a bearing on real life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭slapbangwhallop

:cool:Hi Dardevle

Don't think you're right re Markievicz Road or Lower Knox Street.

Markievicz Road is the old Albert Line (he of the c*ck ring and hash smoking wife). Curious to call it Markievicz Road -- because when she was given freedom of borough, 'Separation Women' of 'Da Hill' aka Forthill (as they did at the 'Ropak') hoisted union jacks and other patriotic emblems, stayed out, drinking tea and singing songs, along with pelting her with stones --because their menfolk were fighting the Hun etc.:P

At the juncition of Barrack Street and Duck Street, bounded by The Coslaigh Stream and Charles Anderson's 'Charleville' -- on what title deeds show was Sir John Montgomery's Parks -- was a small street called Knaggs' Row -- an old sligo building family, long dead.:cool:

Lower Knox Street was the 'crooked approach' to the humped bridge which existed before the Sir John Benson / Noblett St Ledge (who feel out before) the 'Victoria Bridge' erected (and hence that famous Collooney man's name isn't inscribed on the limestone of what is now called 'Hyde Bridge'.

Mere pedantry -- but I believe correct.

Hillers eh! who'd ave em?As always its pleasure to read your posts - full of quality information.

Hi Da Real

Ya, of course, Markievicz Road was Victoria Line (slip of the pen/or keyboard as it was -- hadn't proofed email.

Post was sent late at night 1 am. Markievicz Road was obviously Victoria Line (mind a little tired at time). Anyways re 'Old Prod' community is Sligo -- not known as 'Little Belfast' during C19th for nothing.

'Hillers' and 'Ropak' are the original working class of Sligo -- hailed from these mini-Ghettos. Plenty of working class Protestants in Sligo during C19th, with plenty of descendants still knocking about.

I suppose 'Goods'ssssss' on ye olde Knox Street, as it was called in Sligo, looked after the Lutheran previously mentioned.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Xiney wrote: »
    Why is one being bigger than the other a point of personal attack?

Everyone cop on, stay on topic and don't confuse sports rivalries with something that has a bearing on real life.

Sorry, but Sligo Rovers is Life to a lot of people. Me included.

That may well be, but it has no bearing on this thread.

No more off topic posts please.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭red bellied

The lane located off Connolly Street is called Pound lane the former name of the street. Interestingly they never changed this or maybe they just forgot.

Forthill where the Barracks used to be located and from where association football was introduced has also produced some of the best footballers in the town. Dying out now though obviously. Also the most fantical Rovers supporters were located here as well.

• Advertisement

That's because Corporation are idiots. Executive and most of councillors -- many don't know their own name! -- never might knowing the names of Streets (anyways not important I suppose).

Past Maugheraboy Bridge -- there is a sign saying Church Hill!
    At Circular Road off MCR -- a sign saying Pound Street!

Not to mention the highly contentious!! Gallows Hill/St Joseph's conundrum. Very important when brought to court:D

Was disappointed in book Streets of Sligo (which I bought, not having thumbed through as if in an Arab street bazaar, 'cos I love history and like to have my sources and references correct).

Along with essentially writing 20 versions of the same book, more recent battles concerning Sligo's history were blithely ignored. For example no reference to Corporation permitted Mental Hospital Road to be called 'Clarion Road'. I know Councillors took a vote on this and latter name won out.

In similiar vein why not call O'Connell Street - 'MacDonald's Boulevard' when they decide to open the biggest 'greasy spoon' in 'Da Borough'.

Good old councillors:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

Was disappointed in book Streets of Sligo (which I bought, )

It only took me a few glances to see it was not worth 5 euro, never mind the 50 euro on the cover, because I love Sligo and like to have my sources and references correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

sligeach...

while i agree with you that there are other books on
    the subject of 'sligo'that are perhaps better constructed....some of these books can be hard to come by(i see a previous post that refers to jimmy eccles book of which there were only 1,000 printed),so for those of us with a lesser knowledge of the town than yourself, any work of reference
    that incorporates the writings of previous books is no bad thing imo...if
    only to bring to the fore these other books that are sometimes forgotten
    about over time...for example since the printing of this book,others such as John c mc ternans books have started to appear on the shelves again....my final word on the topic will be this....only by reading the book and then comparing it to the other books that are out there(by reading them jimmmy!) can an objective opinion be formed, and a well read and
    knowledgable population can only serve the town better going forward.

Along with essentially writing 20 versions of the same book, more recent battles concerning Sligo's history were blithely ignored. For example no reference to Corporation permitted Mental Hospital Road to be called 'Clarion Road'. I know Councillors took a vote on this and latter name won out.

ps....the reference your looking for is on page 106....maybe the arabs
    got to your copy first:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

That's because Corporation are idiots. Executive and most of councillors -- many don't know their own name! -- never might knowing the names of Streets (anyways not important I suppose).
    I do not know what you mean by "never might knowing". However , I agree with you about the councillors etc. Some small time politicians are good for looking after themselves though (junkets etc ) and patting themselves on the back.

On the subject "streets of Sligo", how many Sligo people could name the new inner relief road correctly ? Who cares what name the councillors gave it. I know the posters on this thread probably could name it, but the man in the street ?

Personally, I don't think there's much point in naming a street if you're not going to put street signs up. Anybody giving directions to someone new to town would use landmarks rather than street names, because you can't follow the street names. They're kind of pointless if you can't use them.

Hi Dardevle

When I said, 'no reference' I meant in context to the proposed debate ie the name of what was to be Clarion Road for example (Caldwell Line - being the local builder who costructed Asylum /Caldwell Line). This debate was circulated in local papers and eventually voted on motion by the Corporation. This I would consider was the most recent and important debate concerning a name for a historic thoroughfare in the town.

As I said disappointing that no reference to the debate -- seeing as the book takes trouble to trot out all the various names of shops (with a view I'd imagine to garner sales) surely then when a matter of public importance (which on for a few months and was voted upon) should, with a view to balanced approach, be at least mention in the interests of historical accuracy and posterity make reference to what the current thinking as to the populace was/is re such names.

Anys bring back Knox Steet, Radcliffe Steet, Victoria & Albert Lines, Provost Row and Mags Lane I say:D

Advertisement