Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Hammer returns!

Options
  • 10-01-2009 10:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭

Hi all. In a ground floor apartment (new build) with a combination cylinder water system. Was getting water hammer (fairly high pitched banging noise).

Plumber (contractor for the estate) came and put on this junction. (see picture 1). It cured it for a week or so, but now its back. Actually a deeper noise now, with more noticeable shaking of the cold water pipe (half inch pipe).

I stuck some pieces of cardboard in between the pipe and the wall. (see picture 2). This seems to have mostly stopped it. But is it a long term solution to the problem? What needs to be actually done to stop it properly?

Also what does this white box do? (picture 3) Attached to one of the hot water pipes. Gets quite warm when heating is on. Should it be like this? Heating powered by natural gas.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭pipers

I would suggest to replace the ballcock with an equilibrium type. I have posted before about this, see my earlier threads.

The white box is a motorised valve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

Cheers pipers! Will probably call plumber back to do this to fix hammer problem.

Is it normal for the motorised valve to be warm during operation?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,168 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Yes, they get warm, but not hot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

Yes, they get warm, but not hot.

Thanks 10-10-20! I would say the housing (plastic) gets pretty warm. You can still touch it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

You could try getting a pressure reducing valve installed on the mains ,it would do the trick.
    Or get the piece of pipe(Extension he put on) made bigger it might help.

• Advertisement
Advertisement