Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What speed should I expect on 24mb BB?

Options
  • 10-01-2009 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

I got connected to BT on their 24mb package but the modem is syncing at 8124/507 and on speedtest.net it gets 6800/416. I rang them and they said this is what the line is capable of (although when they originally tested they said it would be at least 12mb).
    The line attenuation is 39.8 and SNR of around 8. This indicates the line should be capable of more I would have thought.
    I'm particularly dissapointed at the upload speed.
    Am I expecting too much or should I insist BT up the speed?
    Thanks for any advice.

P

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

postie wrote: »
    I got connected to BT on their 24mb package but the modem is syncing at 8124/507. I rang them and they said this is what the line is capable of (although when they originally tested they said it would be at least 12mb).
    The line attenuation is 39.8 and SNR of around 8. This indicates the line should be capable of more I would have thought.
    I'm particularly dissapointed at the upload speed.
    Am I expecting too much or should I insist BT up the speed?
    Thanks for any advice.

P

That's about right for that attenuation.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Yep once the snr goes below 10 you are usally in trouble best to downgrade and you will get more stability - they should not have signed you up for that package.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭postie

Sorry the SNR is actually 12.4..I replaced my modem this evening. Attenuation still 39.8/40. If thats the capacity of the line then so be it...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

unfortunately the line speed always seems to sync lower than what is estimated by line checkers etc.

My Line Attenuation is 36.50 with an SNR Margin of 16 and my modem only sync's at 5120/512 which imo is very dissapointing. Eircom originally told me that my line cud easily achieve 6megs and the line checkers all told me 8megs.

dub45 wrote: »
    Yep once the snr goes below 10 you are usally in trouble best to downgrade and you will get more stability - they should not have signed you up for that package.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm

Thanks for the link.
    I typed my line stats in here http://www2.farina1.com/ADSL/default.aspx
    and it says I could get a bit more (its ADSL2+). To be honest I'd be happy if only the upload increased. Am I being optomistic?

• Advertisement

Gonzo wrote: »
    unfortunately the line speed always seems to sync lower than what is estimated by line checkers etc.

My Line Attenuation is 36.50 with an SNR Margin of 16 and my modem only sync's at 5120/512 which imo is very dissapointing. Eircom originally told me that my line cud easily achieve 6megs and the line checkers all told me 8megs.

Gonzo, Is yours an LLU line?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

mines eircom line and im on the 7.6meg package

I put my info into link above and it gives me

Your maximum line connection speed using an ADSL (up to 8Mbps) service is: 8128Kbps
    If your service provider uses ADSL2+ the maximum line speed likely is: 13390Kbps
    With ADSL2+ the maximum IP throughput (result from a speedtest) is likely to be around: 11850Kbps

My modem syncs at 5120/512 on eircom every time despite what the website thinks I should get. Its a direct connection from modem into socket, no splitters, filters or sky digital, alarms etc. 2km from exchange.
    Based on what I am now getting using adsl1 I doubt i'll do better than 8meg if Eircom ever get the finger out and upgrade exchange and service to adsl2+

Advertisement