Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

S-Class burned out in Lucan

Options
  • 10-01-2009 10:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭

Saw the fire brigade putting out a fire in a car in Lucan this evening. Later saw the car being towed - 02 S-Class.

My sympathies to the owner, but cant help asking - recession hitting hard?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Insurance job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Where abouts?

Any remains of the colour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

There was a 5 Series BM burnt out up in the Dublin Mountains a few weeks ago, sign of the times...

Max_Damage wrote: »
    Insurance job.

Ive heard from people in the insurance industry about this.
    They are taking a different tack now.
    Apparently one guys X5 was "stolen and burned out".

He was expecting payment in the post instead he got a knock on the door and was handed the keys to an newer and lower mileage X5.

So he now has to keep paying for it along with possibly higher insurance premiums.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,250 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It could also have been an electrical fault. They don't build Mercs like they used to.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,431 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

ronoc wrote: »
    Ive heard from people in the insurance industry about this.
    They are taking a different tack now.
    Apparently one guys X5 was "stolen and burned out".

He was expecting payment in the post instead he got a knock on the door and was handed the keys to an newer and lower mileage X5.

So he now has to keep paying for it along with possibly higher insurance premiums.

is that true???
    never heard of that before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭mvpr

Seemed to be interior damage only, though Im sure itll be written off. Car was 02 KE reg, silver. Looked totally charred on the inside, though could see that the driver's side window was smashed. Dunno if that was the fire brigade or someone who might have lit the match. Happened during evening mass - car park was packed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

bazz26 wrote: »
    It could also have been an electrical fault. They don't build Mercs like they used to.

Looks like a torch job, I don't know of an electrical issue that can break a window!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,505 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Was it up in Esker parish car park or St. Marys?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I presume the burden of proof is on the insurance company rather than the claimant, is it?

Heard of a 330i "going missing" around home a while back, after a long period on sale and shortly before the owner was emigrating.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭mvpr

The carpark opposite the church just before you begin the descent into Lucan - sorry, dunno names

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

mvpr wrote: »
    The carpark opposite the church just before you begin the descent into Lucan - sorry, dunno names
    St Marys

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Darragh29 wrote: »
    Looks like a torch job, I don't know of an electrical issue that can break a window!

Heat from fire would break the window

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Darragh29 wrote: »
    There was a 5 Series BM burnt out up in the Dublin Mountains a few weeks ago, sign of the times...

Were there the charred remains of a stock market analyst inside it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

I saw an E-Class (1998 model) burnt out outside Ennis last weekend as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 ResDub

Not only insurance jobs but plenty of them still being swiped. Hope they re-open Spike Island for these toe-rags

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0109/dublin.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I reckon any expensive car that is 'stolen' and burnt out is an insurance job.

Any expensive car that's stolen and later recovered is usually done by professional criminal gangs looking to probably strip the car and export parts and what not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

maidhc wrote: »

It was still there Thursday with a council notice slapped on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I think the wheels off that went missing as well:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Healyc

TBH they had a habit of doing this by themselves (elec issues) but wouldnt doubt it was an insurance job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I doubt a burnt out 2002 S-class is an insurance job, anyone that owns a luxuury marque that old certainly wouldn't have any trouble running it, and to be honest the insurance company would give you sfa for it...

well there's alot of people with cars like this who can't afford to run it anymore.. thus the auction houses wit repossesed cars and desperate owners of cars lookin for insurance instead of sellin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭LoveDucati2

02 S class, imagine the depreciation on that.

They were about 90k new,

value now about 10 if you could sell it.

painfull

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Burnt out cars are happening more often nowadays and insurance jobs cannot be ruled out. I have heard the insurance companies are handing the owners the same make and model.

Last week I came across a Merc with the interior on fire on a very bad series of bends at night. Had been just set on fire. Had to close the road till it was put out and removed. I couldnt believe the place they left it in. No phone call to a garda station or to the fire brigade. Totally reckless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

TheNog wrote: »
    Burnt out cars are happening more often nowadays and insurance jobs cannot be ruled out. I have heard the insurance companies are handing the owners the same make and model.

Last week I came across a Merc with the interior on fire on a very bad series of bends at night. Had been just set on fire. Had to close the road till it was put out and removed. I couldn't believe the place they left it in. No phone call to a garda station or to the fire brigade. Totally reckless.
    The Insurance companies are probably the best customers at Merlin car auctions. Apparently Merlin are auctioning off fields of reprossessed luxury cars from finance companies at knock down prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

i still wouldnt buy from merlin motors...

too many Noobs with gaint boobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭green-blood

surely that comment can't be allowed to stand on a public forum....

on topic - poor soul.Beauty of a car to loose. I want a job in insurance sourcing cars to hand to clinets who have lost theirs... of course that job doesnt exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

surely that comment can't be allowed to stand on a public forum....

on topic - poor soul.Beauty of a car to loose. I want a job in insurance sourcing cars to hand to clinets who have lost theirs... of course that job doesnt exist.

well, see how you feel when you have someone come to you explaining they there having ignition problems, onyl to find the whole systhem has beem smashed with a hammer and re-welded poorly.

when this happens several times... your convidance sinks faster then the titanic with gareth gates career attached.

ill edit the post to be safe :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭useless

I want a job in insurance sourcing cars to hand to clinets who have lost theirs... of course that job doesnt exist.

Actually, it kinda does, in the UK...
    http://www.etwb.co.uk/our-business-people.html# "Vehicle Research Team".

And they dont even have to wear suits to work:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

On a slightly similar financial note, seemingly the amount of cars AIB finance has repossed lately has gotton so out of hand, that there Milltown dumping ground is full. So now there sticking them in Bank Centre Ballsbridge, and offering them to staff for half price. I'm sure the insurance companies would jump at the chance to use them as replacement writeoffs.

Advertisement