Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relegation in the Premier League/Going down 2009 [Merged]

• 10-01-2009 10:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭

so whose going down this season

personally i think its a very tough choice

with the small teams earning points against the big teams its really a hard to decide

but i would go for this

18 boro
    19 blackburn
    20 west brom

18 and 19 is really difficut to see

i would have said blackburn were going down for sure because of paul ince but now with big Sam,im unsure

and boro dont have a bad team at all and they've so far managed to hold on to Downing too

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

it's going to be so tight down there, long way to go, but i am really looking forward to the run in. anyone from about 12 teams could go down!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

18 Bolton
    19 West Brom
    20 Stoke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

WBA, Blackburn if Santa Cruz is sold and then a guess between Boro, Pompey in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

West Brom, Stoke, Middlesbrough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I think with someone like Tony Adams at the helm Pompey are likely to be introuble alright.

After that I'd say WBA are surely likely and I'd love to see Boro go down as I can't stand them...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

my outside tip is that Hull will get dragged into it despite their good start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

So hard to call this year. West Brom seem like the only dead cert and even they aren't a dead cert.

Wouldn't be surprised if there was a surprise team in the mix (Newcastle, Tottenham). It's that kind of season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

my outside tip is that Hull will get dragged into it despite their good start.

Good shout. Things not looking good for them at the moment, only 1 win in their last 12 games and a points tally of 7 points from the same, they badly need a win or two to lift themselves a bit.

I reckon 41 points will ensure survival, I think Spurs will just about manage that.

WBA, Stoke and either Hull or Pompey to go down IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

fair play fulham dont look like there gona be involved

roy is a legend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

keane2097 wrote: »
    I think with someone like Tony Adams at the helm Pompey are likely to be introuble alright.

He is going to have little or no money to spend and this together with transfers outs puts him in a really difficult situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

nuxxx wrote: »
    fair play fulham dont look like there gona be involved

roy is a legend :)

Hope they keep that up, have €25 on them at +46pts in the handicap betting at 12-1 on Paddy Power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'm a Blackburn Rovers fan, I'm amazed that people think we will go down. The only problem we had was the manager, that situation has been resolved. Remember we finished 7th last season, we lost Friedel and Bentley but it looks like we are buying a replacement for Bentley now. We might lose RSC as well but look at Benni McCarthy since Big Sam arrived a couple of weeks ago.

I have no worries about relegation now and I realise that right now we are in the bottom three.

For me there are two certainties and they are West Brom and Stoke, after that I'd leave it between Sunderland, Middlesboro, Newcastle and I still wouldn't rule out Hull. The had a great start but have hit the rocks lately. They might have enough points in the bank already to stave it off, but if they hit a bad run they will find themselves right in the fight.

I'll predict that Blackburn finishes between 9th and 11th this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

What would be interesting is if this thread was allowed to run between now and the end of the season with new posts every match weekend. The kneejerk reactions after every game involving a team in the bottom 10 would be amusing to look back on when the season is over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

If I had to put cash on it I'd go with West Brom as the obvious one, Pompey though I've liked them for a few years now I can't see them staying up and a toss between Boro, Newcastle and Stoke with I'd say Boro making the slip though that might be cause I'd like to see them go down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

Middlesborough/Hull/Portsmouth
    Stoke
    WBA

I have a feeling it will be Boro' to go down, especially if they lose players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Stoke,West brom and hopefully Spurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

18th Portsmouth
    19th Stoke
    20th WBA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

WBA, Stoke and Pompey.

Gotta be said though that the promoted teams are putting up a much better show than we have come to traditionally expect. No whipping boys at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,719 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

redout wrote: »
    WBA, Blackburn if Santa Cruz is sold and then a guess between Boro, Pompey in my opinion.

Santa Cruz being sold will only help Blackburn TBH, the money could be then spent on a player that actually wants to play for the club.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    What would be interesting is if this thread was allowed to run between now and the end of the season with new posts every match weekend. The kneejerk reactions after every game involving a team in the bottom 10 would be amusing to look back on when the season is over.

+1

I honestly think Hull are dropping like a lead balloon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Its a very tough one to call.

Looking at Stoke and Blackburn's last few performances, I wouldnt be so sure that they are in as much trouble as they appear.

The difference between WBA and Fulham is the goals conceeded. Fulham have been crap in front of goal, but amazing in front of their own goal. On the other hand WBA have been conceeding easily, and not scoring. I feel that it is too far gone for them to recover, in spite of the small gap between them and the rest. Without Ismael Miller, and with the potential loss of Morrison, I maintain that thet are certs for the drop.

Hull, Fulham, West Ham, Boro, Sunderland, Spurs, Newcastle, Stoke and Blackburn could join them.

If Hull allay their awful slide down the table, they will be in the Premiership next year.

Fulham will have to score more goals to ensure that any concession will be meaningless...as a Hammers fan I know that Pantsil and Konchesky are not the most reliable full backs..hence they could start leaking at anytime

West Ham's season will be determined by who is left at the club in February. Green,Neill,Upson,Behrami,Bellamy,Noble, Parker and Collison are vital to the cause, and if they remain, the Hammers will get enough points to stay up. Otherwise, its very hard to tell. The defence is weak without their best, and they are selling squad players at a rate of knots They are a potential departee from the league. I say that as the most pessimistic Hammers fan as the world.

Middlesboro. Their top players (Tuncay,Downing,Mido) all appear to be subject to interst from other clubs. They have an underwhelming squaad, and an inability to put away poor teams. However, they have managed to get out of far sticker situations in the past. They are not much of a club, but I think their youngsters will do enough.

Spurs fans need to wake up. Spurs fans should consider West Ham's 2002/2003 and 2006/2007 seasons. Those who feel that there is no chance of relegation should consider the former, and those who are talking of relegation for the spuds should consider the latter. No team is too good to go down, and it is not always possible to buy yourself out of trouble. For the money Spurs have spent, this season has been terrible. A League Cup final cannot mask the fact that they should be doing so much better when spending the money thet have. However, I believe there is still time to right the wrongs that have occured so far.

Newcastle are shameful. They are a pale shadow of a once great team. They should be capable of picking up better results then they are. I am delighted that Joe Kinnear has settled the ship (a little bit), however, that will change at the end of the year when Ashley looks for a newer and higher profile manager. Newcastle are talking big, but no player in their right mind would transfer to them at this point. They are stuck with what they have, and that is not good. I think they could be suprise contenders for the drop this year.

Sunderland have a decent squad, and played some very good football at Middlesboro. Cisse, Jones,Malbranque and Diouf are erratic. But they add a touch of class. They are capable of a few decent results in a row, and they will be safe.

Portsmouth are similar to West Ham. It will depend on the players that they keep. The major sale of Diarra will help big time, and they have had the vast majority of the Defoe debt written off. Hence, I doubt they will be selling too many more !

Man City shuld be ok, but they will need to improve

I think its very tight to call. However, i think WBA, Stoke, and one of Newcastle or Spurs will go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,434 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

eagle eye wrote: »

I'll predict that Blackburn finishes between 9th and 11th this season.

I hope you're right! :D But I think we'll struggle to climb as high as that in the table this season. 15th or 16th I see us finishing, 3-4 points above relegation.

I think you could be looking at a very high total to avoid relegation this season. In and around 44 points could be required to ensure survival and thusly you could see any number of teams involved right up to the final day.

West Brom, Pompey and Newcastle to go down, imo. Stoke will just manage to stay up in 17th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Im of the opinion that it will take less than 40 points to stay up this year, considering that no team will be cut away at rock bottom like in previous seasons.

It is too hard to say at the moment, but i think it is safe to say that more teams than normal will be involved when it gets closer to the wire.

Id be worried if i was a Portsmouth fan - selling best players, albeit for good money, and with adams in charge is a lethal combination, they had better hope some of that money is for spending and that they can attract decent quality.

Blackburn have shown an improvement under Allardyce - and like a previous poster said - it was the management rather than the squad that attributed to their early season form. Who they buy in terms of right back and right midfield will answer their fate.

Spurs are still in big trouble and need to get winning again sooner rather than later.

I think West Brom will go down, a good side on their day, but they havnt the squad in terms of numbers or quality. Hull will need to be carefull at the moment, they will find it harder now as the season goes on,

at the moment i will go for..

Stoke
    Portsmouth
    West Brom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I'm surprised only one person has said Newcastle. They've had a few good games the past few weeks but I personally think they're still in huge trouble.

West Brom, Stoke and Bolton for me. Newcastle JUST staying up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

SantryRed wrote: »
    I'm surprised only one person has said Newcastle. They've had a few good games the past few weeks but I personally think they're still in huge trouble.

the thing with Newcastle they have a proven striker in Owen

the others dont

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Hull
    Stoke
    WBA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Premiership Table
    8 Hull 21 3 2 5 10 20 4 4 3 18 19 -11 27
    9 Fulham 19 6 3 1 16 8 0 5 4 2 6 4 26
    10 West Ham 21 4 1 5 13 15 3 4 4 13 15 -4 26
    11 Newcastle 21 4 4 3 18 19 1 4 5 10 15 -6 23
    12 Bolton 21 3 2 5 8 11 4 0 7 14 18 -7 23
    13 Sunderland 21 3 2 5 11 13 3 3 5 11 17 -8 23
    14 Portsmouth 20 4 2 4 14 17 2 3 5 7 16 -12 23
    15 Man City 20 5 0 5 24 11 1 4 5 14 19 8 22
    16 Middlesbrough 21 3 4 4 10 15 2 2 6 8 15 -12 21
    17 Stoke 21 5 3 3 12 11 0 3 7 6 22 -15 21

18 Tottenham 21 3 3 4 7 7 2 2 7 13 19 -6 20
    19 Blackburn 20 2 3 5 10 17 2 3 5 12 19 -14 18
    20 West Brom 21 4 2 4 13 16 1 1 9 4 21 -20 18

This is gonna be the tightest yet I do think. I'm fairly confident West Brom will go back down but after that its all up in the air. Allardyce is expert at this type of situation and surely will get Blackburn firing again. 'Arrys magic has worn off at Spurs though they should have enough to be safe. Stoke are a battling team much the same as Boro, Pompey seem shaky under Adams and the rest of them aren't safe yet either. The way the table is a run of 2/3 wins could see you go from the bottom 3 to the top 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭cmcsoft

I can see Portsmouth, West Brom and I reckon Stoke City will go down.

West Brom struggle because they try to play good football and sometimes in the premiership especially against better sides you need to grind them out.

Portsmouth will struggle and have done since Harry left. Adams has a tough job on his hands here.

I think Stoke are a decent well organised side but they don't have enough quality. At the moment Blackburn are down there but I fancy big Sam to pull them out. Likewise with Harry at Spurs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Frisbee wrote: »

Whoops, thought I had checked the first couple of pages in the forum for this and saw nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

18 boro
    19 blackburn
    20 west brom

for me as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

For selfish reasons i would love Spurs to go down. I think they'll have enough in them to stay up but i live in hope.

West Brom definitely to go down. Can string a few passes together alright but poor at front and back, and i won't even mention Carson. Plus i doubt they'll spend much money in January.

Too many teams though still in it to make any other recommendations, you could make a case for relegation for at least half a dozen teams along with the two mentioned above to be considered candidates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

SantryRed wrote: »

what a strange post. why are u surprised if not even you think they will go down??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

i'm thinkin west brom stoke and pompy but i wouldn't count Hull or dare i say Spurs out of it just yet. i think they've too much quality to go down but stranger things have happened if harry cant steady them for a more consistent period

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

For selfish reasons i would love Spurs to go down. I think they'll have enough in them to stay up but i live in hope.

West Brom definitely to go down. Can string a few passes together alright but poor at front and back, and i won't even mention Carson. Plus i doubt they'll spend much money in January.

Too many teams though still in it to make any other recommendations, you could make a case for relegation for at least a dozen teams along with the two mentioned above to be considered candidates.
    FYP;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

mormank wrote: »
    what a strange post. why are u surprised if not even you think they will go down??

I worded it very badly. I just meant people don't even think they'll be in the mix up near the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Portsmouth are starting to have a real stinker of a season and wouldn't be terribly surprised to see them go down.

West Brom and Stoke seem destined to join them despite the Baggies playing some relatively decent stuff whenever I watch them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,561 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

i would'nt be surprised to see hull go down i think they will bw on a major slide the rest of the year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

wow its mad looking at the points so far... Villa have more than double Spurs total points haul thus far, wonder will people still big them up as top 4 contenders again this summer, like they did every others season they didnt live up to the hype

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

taught it be a good idea to dig this thread up again

its looking very interesting

premier_league.gif

spurs and newcastle to big clubs look in trouble and with big players from each club being injured

owen and defoe

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

West Brom and two from Boro, Stoke and Pompey for me most likely the first 3

Advertisement