Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atheistic Beliefs?

Options
  • 10-01-2009 10:50pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭

If you are an atheist, is there something you believe in? If so, what?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

You believe there are no gods. That's it, nothing else.

Rational thought. Does that count?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Yeah, I believe in rational thinking. :)

Dave OS

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

oshead wrote: »
    Yeah, I believe in rational thinking. :)
    If you believe that rational thought has value, I would think so. Max Weber addressed this in his instrumentally-rational/value-rational paradigm?

If you believe that rational thought has value, I would think so. Max Weber addressed this in his instrumentally-rational/value-rational paradigm?

I've only a Wikipedia level of knowledge about Weber so I certainly wouldn't be able to comment on any of his work as I don't know much about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Unless atheists actually have a monopoly on rational thought in reality surely not?

See the problem with atheism is that people keep defining it in different ways and as such it is difficult to find a clear definition.

Jakkass wrote: »
    See the problem with atheism is that people keep defining it in different ways and as such it is difficult to find a clear definition.

It has a relatively simple definition: An atheist doesn't believe in any god(s); they don't believe in any supernatural being that holds dominion over the universe or humans; nor do they believe that an intelligent being created the universe. They believe that the universe, and everything in it, came about by natural processes.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Found one:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58546977&postcount=2

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

The original OP was not intended to treat atheism as a belief system, so I apologise for any confusion that may have occurred, especially with the thread title; rather, what do persons who claim to be atheists believe in?

Perhaps it would be useful to simply define concept "belief" first, as any cognitive content held as true, which may or may not have been directly experienced by the person who claims to be an atheist; e.g., you may believe in rational thought as the best way to view the world, but may not have personally tested every aspect of that world through the use of rational thought?

Does this make sense?
    They believe that the universe, and everything in it, came about by natural processes.

This works methinks. If Jammy claims to be an atheist, this is what he believes in.

Atheism has been often cast in a negative light, especially by its critics, as not believing in something (God or whatever). But they do believe in something surely, and this can be stated in the positive?

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭MackDeToaster

Well, my understanding of my being atheistic means simply that I lack a belief in any deities. Other than that I'm 99.99% certain that the reality I perceive around me is objective. After that I don't really see how this can be answered, my opinions and beliefs are subjective e.g. motorbikes are good fun, curry chips are yummy, ad infinitum :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

That must be an Oxymoron -surely an atheist cant have beliefs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

So it's a bit like theism then...

CDfm wrote: »
    That must be an Oxymoron -surely an atheist cant have beliefs?
    So you contend that atheists cannot believe in anything?

But does something termed as a belief necessarily have to be interpreted in a theological sense, per se? To reiterate from an earlier post, can a belief also be defined as...
    Perhaps it would be useful to simply define concept "belief" first, as any cognitive content held as true, which may or may not have been directly experienced by the person who claims to be an atheist; e.g., you may believe in rational thought as the best way to view the world, but may not have personally tested every aspect of that world through the use of rational thought?

Does this make sense?

Yes, that makes sense, I think. I personally like to view everything through the filter of rational thought, and examine all things with rational thought. Of course, I haven't tested all aspects of life with it, and all aspects of life can't be tested with it as of yet. But I aim to test all I can with it! I also believe things that have been tested rationally by others, i.e. I believe Relativity to be true (leaving all experimental evidence aside), not only because I have tested it rationally myself, but because it has been rationally tested by others who I believe have/had the ability to test it rationally.

In essence, all things I believe in have to be able to be empirically tested and/or have a grounding in rational logic. That's my fundamental disagreement and problem with all things supernatural: That they're outside the realm of testability.
    Atheism has been often cast in a negative light, especially by its critics, as not believing in something (God or whatever). But they do believe in something surely, and this can be stated in the positive?

No doubt they have been cast in negative light, but that doesn't bother me personally. They simply don't believe in anything.

I'll outline my own personal beliefs, and I can only talk for myself here, as atheists aren't a group in the same way Christians are, I.e. Atheists can't all be classified to have the same specific beliefs. I, personally, don't believe in anything supernatural, paranormal, whatever you want to call it. I don't believe in any deity. I believe that all things can be explained through the method of science, and I believe all things have an explanation through science. That's my brief explanation of my own belief system, if you'd like a more detailed version I'd be more than happy to provide it.

If I haven't misinterpreted your questions, I think those are relevant answers!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

You believe there are no gods. That's it, nothing else.

There was I thinking it was "You don't believe there are gods", my mistake.

So you contend that atheists cannot believe in anything?
    Atheists dont believe there are Gods.

Theists believe there are.

Otherwise their universe is the same. They have the same likes and dislikes and dilemmas as everyone else. They go to bed believing the sun will rise in the morning. Hope they win the lottery,

They believe urinating in sinks is wrong if they need to wash their hands-I know this is a sweeping generalisation but I hope its true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

studiorat wrote: »
    So it's a bit like theism then...

See theism is only of different explanations due to the fact that theism makes up different ideologies such as Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Hinduism, Buddhism, Sikhism and so on.

However atheism is different. Atheism by definition should be just a disbelief right? However people start with ideas that atheists believe in reason? However how is this the case when atheism is merely a disbelief. It just seems that some people are attaching things onto atheism that aren't a part of atheism at all.

However atheism is different. Atheism by definition should be just a disbelief right? However people start with ideas that atheists believe in reason? However how is this the case when atheism is merely a disbelief. It just seems that some people are attaching things onto atheism that aren't a part of atheism at all.

I think when most atheists say they believe in things like reason, logic and rational thinking, they're making a subtle digg at theism (irrational belief etc.). That's all. They're not attaching alternative/extra meanings to atheism.

I think when most atheists say they believe in things like reason, logic and rational thinking, they're making a subtle digg at theism (irrational belief etc.). That's all. They're not attaching alternative/extra meanings to atheism.
    There is a debate amongst scientists about Weber and they refer to his stuff on sociology and empiracal studies as "pseudo science" .

Some criticisms of Weber are that its impossible to be truly objective or unbiased. Someone (I cant remember who) posted a link to an American Nobel Laureate on You Tube speaking about social studies using scientific language and methods as being inherently flawed. Some things cant be scientifically tested.

I hope this jogs someones memory and they post the link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

Yes, that makes sense, I think. I personally like to view everything through the filter of rational thought, and examine all things with rational thought. Of course, I haven't tested all aspects of life with it, and all aspects of life can't be tested with it as of yet.
    What exactly do you mean by rational thought? What does everyone else mean? It is one of those phrases that people use just for its positive connotations rather than actually having a clear idea of what it means.
    In essence, all things I believe in have to be able to be empirically tested and/or have a grounding in rational logic. That's my fundamental disagreement and problem with all things supernatural: That they're outside the realm of testability.

I believe that all things can be explained through the method of science, and I believe all things have an explanation through science.
    "If you can't kick it, you can't count it."

So you are a naturalist: nothing exists except physical matter. Teleology (purpose) is a delusion, etc, etc.

Are intellectual disciplines that are not science, such as the arts, theology and to some degree philosophy (which science came from), merely entertainment? Are they incapable of bringing truths that are not based on science to our attention? Because when you say "all things" that is what you are implying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 clairem

Hey everyone. First time posting on this forum. I suppose I believe I've been brought up well enough to know the difference between right and wrong and don't need a religion to be my moral compass or whatever . I've never believed in god as I've always questioned everything, even as a young kid. I'm a good person and I'm proud of being an atheist and always have been :-) Love this forum - it's great to hear from like minded people.

clairem wrote: »
    Hey everyone. First time posting on this forum. I suppose I believe I've been brought up well enough to know the difference between right and wrong and don't need a religion to be my moral compass or whatever . I've never believed in god as I've always questioned everything, even as a young kid.
    It seems that in some peoples' eyes, being an atheist actually consitutes evidence that they "question everything". Maybe in the 1950s, but not now. I find this kind of statement pretty fishy given that most of the people in my generation in my culture (early 20s, Dublin, middle class) are atheists by default. Th fact that you have never changed your belief does not add weight to your claim to have questioned everything.

Did you ever consider the absurdity of saying that there is a real right and wrong, but that there is no God?

Húrin wrote: »
    What exactly do you mean by rational thought? What does everyone else mean? It is one of those phrases that people use just for its positive connotations rather than actually having a clear idea of what it means.

Well, I mean it in a very ambiguous way. Rational thought, to me, is looking at everything from a logical perspective. Looking to see do things make sense, to see can a certain idea or concept be linked to others that you've already concluded do make sense. Not looking at things from an emotional perspective, or not using only emotions to make decisions. Seeing can you arrive at a certain conclusion logically. And, I suppose, not relying on faith. I know that's very vague, but it's the best I can do without getting into a long, and personal, post.
    So you are a naturalist: nothing exists except physical matter. Teleology (purpose) is a delusion, etc, etc.

I didn't really say that. I just said that I prefer things to be able to be empirically tested (which I know isn't always the case), and to have a grounding in logic and reason.
    Are intellectual disciplines that are not science, such as the arts, theology and to some degree philosophy (which science came from), merely entertainment? Are they incapable of bringing truths that are not based on science to our attention? Because when you say "all things" that is what you are implying.

No, of course they're not for entertainment. I didn't say that. I said I like things to be grounded in logic and reason, if some idea has a chain of logic and thought leading to it, and I can conclude that that chain is logical, then I've no problem believing it. And I've no doubt that disciplines such as philosophy are grounded in thought and logic.

My only problems are disciplines which draw in supernatural elements, so in that sense I wouldn't respect theology in the same way I would science or philosophy. As I can't see a chain of reasoning in religious concepts and ideas that satisfy me, personally.

I know what I've said is very vague, but, if you've any more problems with what I've said I'll try to elaborate more.

clairem wrote: »
    I'm a good person
    This is another problematic and self-righteous statement. Nobody always does good and never does bad. Where do you draw your "good person" line? Who doesn't make the grade? And who are you to say? I think it's more realistic to conclude that none of us are good people, or at least to conclude that we're all a mix of good and evil.

See theism is only of different explanations due to the fact that theism makes up different ideologies such as Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Hinduism, Buddhism, Sikhism and so on.

How many variations of Christianity are there? I'll bet every single contributor over next door has a different slant on how they see their relationship with JC. Just like every atheist sees their opinion as more or less important in their day to day lives.

Besides I'm a dyed in the wool atheist and I'm the most un-reasonable and irrational person you'll find in a days walk. Really! I believe there is no God...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭sukikettle

Statements like Claire's tend to make me heave. They are contradictory and self glorifying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭sukikettle

Studio you sound like a proud parent who has just given birth to yourself. The cooing is undeniable

Thanks Suki. From a headbanger like yourself I'll take it as a compliment. Now if you would like to trade insults I'll have a look in in the morning. If you are here to preach as usual I'll leave you to it...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Suki, your judging of other posters here only relects badly on you and your belief own system.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

sukikettle wrote: »
    Statements like Claire's tend to make me heave. They are contradictory and self glorifying

How is it contradictory by saying she doesn't believe in god. I dont see how saying you dont beleive in god is self glorifying either. Someone asked a question and she answered it.
    From reading the boards over the last while it seems to me thats its the belivers that think they are higher up than us non believers.
    I dont beleive in god, nothing contradictory about that or self glorifying about it. Read the bible and then come back with the contractions you find in the whole thing.
    I have no problem with people having beliefs, each to their own, just seems that people with belifs look down on us athiests as lower class people.

Said it already , each tot heir own. I'm not gonna write up why I dont belive because you will be one of those one's who says, sher someone else said that before why are ya jumping on the bandwagon, why cant people just accept people dont believe in some lad from 2000 years ago.

Advertisement