Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noahides - A new addition to my vocabulary

Options
  • 10-01-2009 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭the_god_swan

As a happy and content Atheist I keep an eye on this forum from time to time but I havent posted here yet.
    No reason to until now of course!

So yesterday a lad at work whom I assumed to be a fairly rational thinking person, tells me he is a Noahide (a new word to me I must admit). So all I take from this is 'not another branch on the on the religious tree' feeling, so as you do I googled Noahides and as you can expect the usual bible bashing bull**** is in full flow.

I know I'm preaching to the converted here but how the f*ck can someone claiming to be part of a particular faith reading from the same book as all their peers and come out spouting the contents as the one through thinking... it really does baffle me.

I tell ya, I'm close to printing out a (as much as i can gather) list of world religions to have in my pocket to produce to people who claim themselves as part of the 'right' religion, just to show them the scale of differing faiths and ask why the f*ck they think they are so special.

Comments

As a happy and content Atheist I keep an eye on this forum from time to time but I havent posted here yet.

So yesterday a lad at work whom I assumed to be a fairly rational thinking person, tells me he is a Noahide (a new word to me I must admit). So all I take from this is 'not another branch on the on the religious tree' feeling, so as you do I googled Noahides and as you can expect the usual bible bashing bull**** is in full flow.

I know I'm preaching to the converted here but how the f*ck can someone claiming to be part of a particular faith reading from the same book as all their peers and come out spouting the contents as the one through thinking... it really does baffle me.

I tell ya, I'm close to printing out a (as much as i can gather) list of world religions to have in my pocket to produce to people who claim themselves as part of the 'right' religion, just to show them the scale of differing faiths and ask why the f*ck they think they are so special.
    Because they just *are* of course!:pac:

But they know it to be true. They know their particular sect to be the right one. How can you question that! They have God on their side! (It's hard to convey sarcasm through text!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Noahides are great the use a rainbow as their symbol. How cool is that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Why are you so frustrated at this guy to live out his own life in the way that he feels that God has commanded him. He's made the first step to what could become something greater.

Then in your post we have the assertion, that religious people are not "rational" people. However, this also assumes that atheists have a monopoly on reason. Which I think any reasonable person would say, no they don't.

As for Noahides, they are people who follow the 7 Noahide laws. Gentiles in Judaism aren't expected to follow all 613 Mitzvot of the Torah, but are expected to follow these 7 rules. For Christianity that isn't the case at all, all mankind is expected to follow every moral law of the Torah (ceremonial and judicial laws are thought to be fulfilled). So the difference between a Noahide and a Christian is that a Noahide only believes in the Jewish scriptures but only follows the 7 Noahide laws, no New Testament at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

That list applies to naturalist atheists as much as to traditional religious people.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Noahides, interesting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Húrin wrote: »
    That list applies to naturalist atheists as much as to traditional religious people.

we don't claim to have a supernatural being on our side the pretty f'ing special claim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

studiorat wrote: »
    Noahides are great the use a rainbow as their symbol. How cool is that?

It would certainly make meeting up to protest 'teh Gayz march' rather more interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

we don't claim to have a supernatural being on our side the pretty f'ing special claim.
    Then perhaps you naturalists should acknowledge the physical limits of science, which cannot answer metaphysical questions. To say that science is the only valid method of learning about reality is even more exclusive than most religions.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭D.S.

Húrin wrote: »
    Then perhaps you naturalists should acknowledge the physical limits of science, which cannot answer metaphysical questions.

I really hate when people use this phrase. The whole point of metaphysics is that is an area of pure speculation. However, metaphysical questions can still transfer into the realm of physics through new learning and discovery So there is no reason why "naturalists" can't research and query the metaphysical questions just like everybody else.

Neither theology, philosophy or any other group has the "intellectual rights" on metaphysics..

Also - Acknowledging the physical limits of science? Say that to the boys in CERN. Curiosity of the metaphysical is the name of the game there..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

D.S. wrote: »
    Neither theology, philosophy or any other group has the "intellectual rights" on metaphysics..
    That hasn't stopped generations of theologians from claiming the rights, then getting all huffy when somebody from a different gang shows up.
    D.S. wrote: »
    The whole point of metaphysics is [...]
    Reminds me of a joke:

Q: What's the difference between a mathematician and a theologian?
    A: Both can work with a pencil and paper, but the mathematician needs a bin too.

Advertisement