Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows 7 Issues...

2»

Comments

I don't think it would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,996 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I dont think so. But on that note expect to be under a lot of hack-attack for the next few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭Dartz

Mmcd wrote: »
    Im running it on VirtualBox and cant get the internet to work
    Have the network activated but settings may be wrong - I dont have a clue

Also arent really impressed by it tbh - no real difference to Vista!

I had that problem, try setting your network interface to :
    Intel PRO/1000 MT desktop.
    Attached to: NAT

That works perfectly for me, aside from the virtualbox share problems other people are having.

Sleep Mode is totally fecked for me. This time instead of sleeping as it should have it shut down. When it came to, the boot manager gave me some new error page before continuing to let me select my OS. Then I had to reset my wireless router.

anyone notice any prblems with uTorrent? files arent downloading properly for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

BitTorrent working fine for me.

see the torrent will report 99.9%complete and stop. The pieces page shows barely 20% of the packets have made it through, its like its unable to check against packet loss or it simply loses the pieces somewhere between the network connection and the Hard Drive.

well after some bsod's trying to enter sleep ive stumbled on the realisation that i dont have drivers tailored to my hardware, though the drivers in place function normally in most conditions.

sadly any driver i try to download as HP recognises the OS as != Vista and refuses to install.

So I'm officially boned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cy_Revenant

Overheal wrote: »
    well after some bsod's trying to enter sleep ive stumbled on the realisation that i dont have drivers tailored to my hardware, though the drivers in place function normally in most conditions.

sadly any driver i try to download as HP recognises the OS as != Vista and refuses to install.

So I'm officially boned.
    I presume you've tried running the installers in compatibility mode?

Not yet.

then fail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

Im having terrible trouble with gadgets.
    It worked perfectly after the OS started after the install.. but hasnt since the first restart.

I had Vista installed before, and I turned the sidebar off.

I did an upgrade Windows 7 because I didnt have time/wasnt bothered to do a clean install.. I know that forces me to do so come August..

Anyway, Ive googled and tried all the fixes, (all for Vista sidebar) including reregistering the dlls.

Its in the startup, but wont open. It wont open from the start menu, and I cant open the Control Panel for it either.
    Right clicking the Desktop and choosing gadgets doesnt work either..

Cant work out how to fix it at all...
    Only think I can think of its it might be dependant on another service that isnt running...

Anyone have any ideas??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭Dartz

All I can say is ditto... exact same circumstances, exact same symptoms

Gadgets are running, they're just not appearing on screen for some reason. I saw a ghost of one when it came back from a game, so they are there, they're just not showing up.

In other news.
    Tages copyprotection doesnt work. It locked up my DvD drive trying to access Stalker Clear Sky, and I'm sure it's Tages that's doing it.

I dont even get ghosts. The process isnt running at all for me :(

I got them to run. And thats saying a lot.

Also whoever said BitTorrent was working for them: yeah. BitTorrent is not working for me.

Same exact problem as described here: http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=389412

BT and UT are far too similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

As of the BitTorrent buyout, they're exactly the same. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭nuttz

Media Center looks good, but tuners configured with it are reported to be in use after rebooting, (64 bit flavour).

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Mmcd

Ive installed the beta on virtualbox and now cant get it to my 1200x800 resolution. I think I may have to install some video driver but know what or how or is there an easier way?

Right, I've discovered the problem with my gadgets.

It seems gadgets dont work when UAC is turned off.. weird bug..

Now to find a fix so I can leave UAC off but still have gadgets... :rolleyes:

well at the moment if I cant torrent then I have no need to bother using Windows 7.

and since when does UT = BT? Sneaky bastards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rambo

Anybody else getting 10016 error on startup only shows up event viewer
    source distributedCOM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Im happy enough with it so far but there has been a few issues.. I just took an image of my vista partition and threw this on as my primary os for a while..

A few times Ive booted up my touchpad didn't work so I had to restart.
    At the start before any updates were installed I wasn't able to drag files onto a program, like drag a video file onto vlc to open it.. But this seems to be sorted now.
    The gadgets and UAC thing had me troubled for a while too.

Oh and they still haven't fixed the vista networking "issues"
    I have an xp box acting as a file server using normal windows samba shares, I have the shares setup with password protection and I can't access any of these shares from this OS, same problem with vista. I just get some variation of access denied with no prompt for entering username/password.
    This can be solved with xp by adding another user the server with the same username/password as the client but no luck so far for Windows 7.. I can access non protected shares fine

Edit: I managed to get the protected shares going, I couldn't get it to prompt for username/password but on my server machine I made a useraccount/password the same as my W7 machine and put that account into the administrator group for the computer, That wasn't enough though, I also had to give permissions on each share to the new username I setup,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I tried loading it on my old Dell Latitude D600 and I had no end of BSOD's. I ran into the hidden SSID issue, couldnt get utorrent to work and with the random BSOD's I just plain lost patience. Might try again in a while if Microsoft updates their drivers....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

BigEejit wrote: »
    I tried loading it on my old Dell Latitude D600
    wow..
    interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭seeing_ie

Same here with the D600.

Blue screens at the end of the install, then install cancelled after reboot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

Installed windows 7 ultimate x64, mainly on the basis vista started to develop issues after the last update and i was at the end of my tether with that piece of junk.

After alot of driver issues and the fact i couldn't get the system to sleep even though i tried everything I thought it was fine. Installed the latest nvidia drivers and restarted as it asked me to.

It rebooted then said there had been a system error and did i want to repair or start normally? tried both and it kept looping back to the same screen.
    It then told me to boot from installation dvd and repair.
    It wouldn't even open that or the recovery cd's i downloaded:(

Phoned MS told them the issue and the guy on the otherside of the line said that i'm not the first to get that error and i probably won't be the last.

I now have to spend the next couple of days reinstalling all the stuff i already installed. I think MS might have rushed this out the door a little too soon.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

requiem1 wrote: »
    Installed windows 7 ultimate x64, mainly on the basis vista started to develop issues after the last update and i was at the end of my tether with that piece of junk.

After alot of driver issues and the fact i couldn't get the system to sleep even though i tried everything I thought it was fine. Installed the latest nvidia drivers and restarted as it asked me to.

It rebooted then said there had been a system error and did i want to repair or start normally? tried both and it kept looping back to the same screen.
    It then told me to boot from installation dvd and repair.
    It wouldn't even open that or the recovery cd's i downloaded:(

Phoned MS told them the issue and the guy on the otherside of the line said that i'm not the first to get that error and i probably won't be the last.

I now have to spend the next couple of days reinstalling all the stuff i already installed. I think MS might have rushed this out the door a little too soon.:(

Before you installed Win 7 did you check to see if it was compatible with your hardware and software of choice? Just because the various vendors haven't updated drivers for devices or made software compatible yet, doesn't mean it is Microsoft's fault.

Have Windows 7 installed for 5 days now and the only problems I have had were down to drivers not being compatible with Win 7 (not Microsoft's fault). Once I found suitable drivers everything is running like a dream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

I have 3 computers running Win 7.

Only one driver issue on an old USB Webcam.

Sleep was an issue but that was down to the Ethernet waking the computer up.

Also had to turn off the "Allow Wake up timers"

http://www.michaelaulia.com/blogs/fix-windows-vista7-sleep-mode-from-waking-up-by-itself.html

Shane

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

zombie thread DIE!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement