Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just a beginner

Options
  • 11-01-2009 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

I'm am just looking for a hobby for my dad at the moment and I think he would be very interested in RC planes or even RC Helicopter.

I am a total beginner myself and havnt a clue about any of it.
    What would be a good place to start with.....

I.E. What would you guys recomment....

Also what would be the cost....with everything, engine etc....

Thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

Very hard at start with the helicopters.Get one of those cheap indoor ones first and practice.You will smash it up.The real remote ones are a couple of hundred for the basic ones. I tried and failed so I got into Trains,a lot less to start off and you dont really smash them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭cabla

Haha ok. Well then the Planes.....I was thinking of getting him one so was thinking costs....and what one?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

I think the sensible thing to do is to find out if your dad is really interested in it - and to what extend - before you buy anything. In this hobby (as with most other things) you get what you pay for - you pay cheap you get cheap. You're not going to get a nitro heli in the air this side of a €1000.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

If you are starting with a heli I suggest you keep it small and electric, not nitro powered.
    Electric is far more reliable, and you get fewer problems. it costs less too. With a nitro heli, the total cost of the outfit necessary to fly it is approximately 2x to 3x the cost of the heli itself.

But if cost is a significant factor in your choice you should really go to model planes first. The cost os between €350 and €450 depending on if you get a computer radio (not necessary). Then learn to fly, and then later you could get a heli, or more aerobatic planes, whichever you choose.
    Generally speaking, the special deals only include the big things, and you are still looking for many small items that are necessary to get it flying.
    Suitable models to learn to fly are Daisy, Mini Mag, Easy Star, Easy Cub, Rocky and Aero-Maxx. Rocky and Aero-Maxx are kits that you get to build some, the rest are more pre-made.

All of these are electric power. They are hobby standard planes with repairable parts. Nothing like the little cheap electric toy planes. There is a minimum power level you should not go under or it is a toy, and it gets blown out of control. When a toy plane breaks you throw it out. When a hobby plane breaks you fix it and fly it again.

The planes I mentioned have power to weight ratios that mean they fly well which is what matters most. Also they don't cost the earth.

I hope this helps you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭cabla

Thanks very much guys. All very helpful

• Advertisement
Advertisement