Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

trajet gearbox problems

Options
  • 11-01-2009 12:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I have visted here alot but finally registered today. I have a problem which i need advice on.
    I am in the market for a 7 seater to replace my 94 savannah. (wonderfull car,breaks my heart to change) and i was leaning towards a trajet. i have around €5000 and want somethiing from around 2001/2.
    I have spoken to a trajet owner who swears they are a great car but i have since heard that they have a really bad gearbox. does anyone have experiance with these cars? good or bad?

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Well what i can tell you is a friend of mine was in the same position as yourself.

He had a choice between a Trajet or a Zafira(albeit a smaller car, but it was newer). In the end he went with the Trajet, on size alone. He's had a lot of problems since with it, just bits here and there, but the main thing was the cat. converter needed to be replaced, which there is two of(i can't remember was it €1000 for the two, or €1000 each, but they were very expesive.)

I myself haven't driven one, but i do know i wouldn't be keen on the 2.0 petrol engine, leaning towards the diesel.

Honest John will give you a review on the car
    http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=157

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

Well known problem with gearbox on the diesel Trajets. Most rebuilt under warranty. Can't remember the exact symptoms - something to do with 2nd gear ? I could be wrong but I don't think the petrol one had this problem.

Trajet is very big and heavy - drives a bit like a van. Diesel is slow - much slower than Sharan/Alhambra/Galaxy. Petrol one has heavy fuel consumption.

Much poorer seller now than they were a few years ago. Shouldn't have much bother getting one for your 5000 budget.

Zafira is smaller but easier to drive, lower tax (on petrol one, 1.6) and has rear seats that fold into the floor to make space for loads (as opposed to having to physically remove from the Trajet).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

thanks guys, some food for thought there. that honest john site would put you off any car lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

The honest john site is that alright, but great for info. The site generally has all known problems of the life span of any particular car, but this can be off - putting to some. It is really just a list of all recorded faults with cars.
    Anyway, back to your trajet. If you are looking for a diesel one, call Mr.Gearbox in Dublin tomorrow and ask how many gearboxes they have done for the trajet. That will give you a very good indication whether or not it is an urban myth (which i very much doubt) . I had to replace a gearbox in a passat and when I spoke to the guys at Mr.Gearbox, I was very enlightened about good and bad gearboxes.
    Worth a phone call if you get on to the right guy.

Advertisement