Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

T9 predictive text problem

• 11-01-2009 1:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭

I purchased a nokia 2630 a little over a week ago and it's being working relatively okay apart from being mind numbingly slow, constantly needing to load and not even allowing me to open the SMS inbox or create a new message for several minutes after boot - "Message memory storage not ready"

Those problems aside, at first when i got the phone if I was creating an SMS using predictive text and wanted to put in the word you all I had to do was press 968 but the last day or so when I type this combination the default is 'wot'. I never inserted this word and I don't use text speak so I don't know where it's come from.

I tried turning off and on predictive text in the options (not just pressing star a few times), attempting to remove the string 'wot' from the matches which wasn't possible, inserting the word you as a match even though it was already listed, trying with the prediction type set to both word suggestion and normal but nothing changed and under options (when wot is visible and underlined) => prediction options => matches - wot is still listed above you...

Not being able to find a solution to this I went into two separate Vodafone stores and the only thing one of them could think of to explain this was it becoming default due to my consistent use of 'wot' but I advised him this was not the case.

Salespeople in both stores thought that a factory reset might resolve the issue. After mistakenly being told in each outlet that I must have set a custom security PIN because the phone wouldn't take the defaults, discovering later it actually needs to be set, resetting the phone the I only found 968 still defaulted to 'wot'! :(

I'm going to take it into the Nokia centre on Grafton Street during the week but if you're reading this and know the solution I should appreciate it very much!

Also, in case it matters, I had the phone unlocked but the problem only occurred days later.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

I've had this problem. (with the same phone) With a lot of words but it can be changed.

What you need to do is to create a new message and just type it in over and over. Type 968, you'll get wot first, but before you press space keep pressing * until "you" appears. Then press space.

Keep repeating this until eventually "you" will be the first word to appear. You might have to type it in anything up to 40 times but it will work eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Thanks, you fixed it! :D

I'm still curious as to why it happened in the first place because I never use textspeak or the term 'wot'.

Advertisement