Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia SMS backup

• 11-01-2009 1:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭

Memory is running in short supply on my Nokia 2630 and I'm getting closer and closer to the point where I will have to start deleting messages from my sent and inbox folders.

Is there anyway to back these up over Bluetooth to keep them as a record? I was sending pictures from my phone to a laptop today but couldn't find an option to send stored SMS, is there one?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Nokia PC Suite should do it for you.
    If your phone came with a CD it'll be on there.
    Otherwise you can download it from www.nokia.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

If your messages are really that important then www.zyb.com also provide this service. The downside is that you have to text it to a UK number for it to show up on their website (all good though), but it costs the price of an international text (not so good).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭runswithascript

All good advice, thanks.

I want to keep the texts because it would be nice to have a record of them at my fingertips like Gmail allows me to with email. For instance, if I ever want to know what I was doing a certain day I will be able to just look up the texts.

I'm having a hell of a time backing up my texts and my phone is now even slower.

I installed Windows XP just for the Nokia PC Suite and I also bought a Bluetooth v1 adapter but unfortunately the backup always results in an error saying the connection was dropped and this is always after serveral hours. There are about 6000 text messages on my phone in total and as I've said the phone is very slow which is probably affecting the back up and possibly making it time out. For instance it can take over a minute to open my Inbox.

I'm going to try and pick up a Nokia USB cable somewhere in Dublin city centre if someone can tell me where I can get one for a good price?

Also, and the main reason for this post, I'm wondering if even with the back up I'm actually going to be able to do what I want to - I've no problem deleting the texts on my phone once they're backed up on my computer so I can use it to browse old deleted messages. Can someone just please confirm for me this is possible because I haven't been able to see the result of a backup with the Nokia PC Suite?

Just to clarify further I'd like to keep a directory/file on my computer and update it every few weeks with texts from my phone before I delete them so I can always go back to the file and see old SMS...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

LA3G wrote: »
    I'm having a hell of a time backing up my texts and my phone is now even slower.

I installed Windows XP just for the Nokia PC Suite and I also bought a Bluetooth v1 adapter but unfortunately the backup always results in an error saying the connection was dropped and this is always after serveral hours. There are about 6000 text messages on my phone in total and as I've said the phone is very slow which is probably affecting the back up and possibly making it time out. For instance it can take over a minute to open my Inbox.

I'm going to try and pick up a Nokia USB cable somewhere in Dublin city centre if someone can tell me where I can get one for a good price?

Also, and the main reason for this post, I'm wondering if even with the back up I'm actually going to be able to do what I want to - I've no problem deleting the texts on my phone once they're backed up on my computer so I can use it to browse old deleted messages. Can someone just please confirm for me this is possible because I haven't been able to see the result of a backup with the Nokia PC Suite?

Just to clarify further I'd like to keep a directory/file on my computer and update it every few weeks with texts from my phone before I delete them so I can always go back to the file and see old SMS...

I would suggest getting the cable online. Ebay LINK a lot cheaper than in a store, and its a unique design for the 2630 so wont be all shops.

The bluetooth should be working for the transfer. I would be thinking that its because of the amount of data you want to transfer in one go. Sometimes the folders are only set to take a certain amount of files.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

any usb A to B cable will do
    You dont need to buy a nokia cable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

pa990 wrote: »
    That's not the right cable for a Nokia 2630.

pa990 wrote: »
    davton wrote: »
    I would suggest getting the cable online. Ebay LINK a lot cheaper than in a store, and its a unique design for the 2630 so wont be all shops.

Its not the norm

The bluetooth should be working for the transfer. I would be thinking that its because of the amount of data you want to transfer in one go. Sometimes the folders are only set to take a certain amount of files.

Thanks, I'll order one. I just hope there are enough pictures to delete before it arrives so I won't reach a point of not being able to to receive any new text messages. Can you confirm that I will be able to do what I want? That is, browse all the text messages I've ever received on my computer in one huge database?

LA3G wrote: »
    Thanks, I'll order one. I just hope there are enough pictures to delete before it arrives so I won't reach a point of not being able to to receive any new text messages. Can you confirm that I will be able to do what I want? That is, browse all the text messages I've ever received on my computer in one huge database?

Yes you can back them up to a pc, but you should be able be able to do it with the bluetooth. Have you successful used the bluetooth for any transfer, a some amount of data?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭TheAlmightyZeus

Try Nokia Lifeblog. Its syncs your messages to your PC and saves them in a neat little timeline so you can read outgoing and incoming messages together like a conversation. Search is good when you need to find an old message quickly. Not sure what phones are supported at the moment though.

Yes you can back them up to a pc, but you should be able be able to do it with the bluetooth. Have you successful used the bluetooth for any transfer, a some amount of data?

Yes I've been able to transfer pictures but it always crashes on the SMS sync.

I received the USB cable from ebay and I'm having a hell of a time with it. I've try connecting the phone with just the Nokia PC Suite installed which I read in the nokia guide should work but it doesn't. When I connect the cable with my 2630 attached XP tells me it has found new hardware, it installs automatically when the CD which came with the cable is in the drive, it tells me it's ready for use but PC Suite can't connect to it. I've tried completely removing both PC Suite and the driver and installing them in different order but each time I get the same result.

Any ideas?
    Try Nokia Lifeblog. Its syncs your messages to your PC and saves them in a neat little timeline so you can read outgoing and incoming messages together like a conversation. Search is good when you need to find an old message quickly. Not sure what phones are supported at the moment though.

Sounds exactly what I'm looking for, thanks.

Unfortunately Nokia Lifeblog doesn't support the 2630 but I was able to connect to the phone using Mobius, I was able to view my contacts, and call register and for the past ten minutes or so it's been trying to load the inbox.

I read somewhere you can't connect the 2630 to PC Suite even with a data cable, it seems it can only be done over bluetooth :(

Advertisement