Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ex-student, unemployed... entitled to anything?

• 11-01-2009 2:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭

Here's my story in a nutshell...

I've been a student for the last 3 years and this year had to drop out of college for a while due to illness. I've been healthy for the last few months, but am unemployed.

Basically, I've been out of college and unemployed since May '08. I had a job for 1 week last November, but left swiftly for personal reasons.

I wont be in college again for at least another 9months, and that's making the presumption I'll be going back, which right now doesnt seem that likely.

I have never availed of any social welfare before and am very ignorant to how it works.

I'm 21 years old, living with parents.

I was told by a friend that I am entitled to benefits now, and possibly even a pay-out to pay for my time unemployed and not studying for the last 8 months or so.

And just to be clear, I am fully healthy now and have been so since september, so wont be entitled to any disability payments... just "normal" welfare, if anything.

I hope thats enough info to get some clear answers... thanks for your time.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭carlcon

bump?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

carlcon wrote: »
    I had a job for 1 week last November, but left swiftly for personal reasons.

And just to be clear, I am fully healthy now and have been so since september,

Have you looked for another job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

Go to the dole office and they will give you forms to fill out, also make sure you know where you applied to because they'll be looking for that info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

hey there, im 19 and taking a year out before i go to college, had a job in the summer in a hotel, recession means no job, was on a christmas contract in dunnes - its past christmas so once again no job tried loads of places nothing going :(
    so went to social welfare offie today and basically because i live at home with my parents who are both working im not entitled to anything, the lady even suggested I move out:eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Um, if you live ar home with parents you are entitled to get it. If they earn a lot you won't get it. You have to give them your parents payslips. You should get some portion of the full amount anyway unless you're rich.

• Advertisement

I'll try cover all previous posts...

Yes, I have looked for other jobs, handing out dozens of CV's. It seems nowhere in Dublin is interested in students or someone with only summer jobs under their belt.

Even though I am living at home, I can easily move out to live with firends if it means getting benefits. My mam doesn't work and we're far from rich, so it's not like my parents give me the 200euro (or whatever the dole is) per week.

I figure paying 50euro a week for cheap accomodation, while getting 200euro per week is better than staying at home and asking for bus fare so I can go into town to hand out dozens more CV's to places not willing to hire students or irish.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Uh if your mum does not work then I'd say you can get 150+ of the dole living at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭badabinbadaboom

It all depends on what you qualify for.
    You might be eligible for Jobseekers Benefit which is a standard set rate or a means tested Jobseekers allowance.
    You can only get Jobseekers benefit if you have been paying PRSI for, I think 52 weeks.
    Jobseeker allowance on the other hand is means tested so if your living at home your unlikely to get much.
    Good luck on the job hunt.

If he is under 25 he will be means tests from the circumstances as I understand them. Since the mother works and if the father has an average income he will get most of the payment. If he has siblings in college he will get even more.

As far as family is concerned, mother is a housewife, dad probably makes about 30k a year and I have a bro in secondary and a sis in primary school.

Would it be better for me to just move out? I mean it makes sense to me to get the full amount, paying minimal weekly rent.

• Advertisement

Give them your information, you should geu t nearly all of it anyway without moving out. If you move out you will get all of it yeah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Allah Hu Akbar

As far as family is concerned, mother is a housewife, dad probably makes about 30k a year and I have a bro in secondary and a sis in primary school.

Would it be better for me to just move out? I mean it makes sense to me to get the full amount, paying minimal weekly rent.

Why didn't go to the dole office when you left, was it in May 08? :eek:

Why the hell don't people go over and get what they are entitled too.

As already said you will lose money, you were told you would get 150+ but as your Dad works and gets money you will get far less.

I wouldn' suggest you move out, you could say you were living with a certain friend who has a place of his own or even a brother / sister / Nanny. Social welfare will call out all they have to say is your out looking for a job.

You won't get paid for the previous 8 months, you should have went down eight months ago.

Why didn't go to the dole office when you left, was it in May 08? :eek:

Why the hell don't people go over and get what they are entitled too.

As already said you will lose money, you were told you would get 150+ but as your Dad works and gets money you will get far less.

I wouldn' suggest you move out, you could say you were living with a certain friend who has a place of his own or even a brother / sister / Nanny. Social welfare will call out all they have to say is your out looking for a job.

You won't get paid for the previous 8 months, you should have went down eight months ago.

Simple answer is I wasn't planning on being sick and dropping out of college because of it. If I knew, I would have. I'll go in and see what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Allah Hu Akbar

Simple answer is I wasn't planning on being sick and dropping out of college because of it. If I knew, I would have. I'll go in and see what happens.

You're sick 8 months? What's wrong if you don't mind me asking.

If it's anything mentally wrong with you ya could get disability which you would get full money, not to mention if you wanted to move out you would have most your rent paid, esb stamps stuff like that.

It was 6 straight months of a severe form of sleep apnoea, of which 4 months left me completely unable to do anything. Spent 90% of the time in bed, the other 10% trying to earn bits of money wherever I could.

That's all cleared up now though, so I wouldnt be entitled to anything extra, I don't think.

Advertisement