Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from england...how will this work?

Options
  • 11-01-2009 3:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭

Hey all,

I'm posting this on behalf of my fiance. He's been studying an unrelated course in college in the UK, and is now hoping to transfer over to a trades course...preferably plumbing.

He's planning on moving over here towards the summer time and hopefully doing a course in Dublin.

Unfortunately he never got to complete his GCSEs. How would this work with getting into a tradescourse or doing an apprenticeship? If worst came to the worst could he go straight in and try his hand at the leaving cert or would he need to have a Junior Cert equivalent?

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Tbh, the leaving cert would require alot of work, but i dunno what level he is at, no idea what the english syllabi(sp?) are like!

The junior cert is a minimum requirement afaik for getting an apprenticeship in ireland, so that'll need to be done, or maybe he can just do the gcse over in england and its kinda the same thing:confused:!

Im not much help or very informative, but i do know he'll be damm lucky to get an apprenticeship, there in really short supply

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

The GCSE is worht less than the Leaving Cert and is worth just a bit more than the Junior Cert, so if he hasn't even that then it's unlikely he'd get into a trade here I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭li@mo

I know this wont be news you want to here.........but there is extremely little work for plumbers here at the moment and in the near future things are going to get even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

li@mo wrote: »
    I know this wont be news you want to here.........but there is extremely little work for plumbers here at the moment and in the near future things are going to get even worse.

What?

There's always gonna be work for plumbers!
    Ever heard of maintenance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Neverwhere

hey guys, thanks for the replies.

I knew we probably weren't going to get any news we wanted to hear. Bit of a bummer!

Don't think he can actually do the GSCEs. Would take too long and he'd have to stay in oxford. Part of the reason he's moving over is because of the wedding...we don't want to spend our entire relationship and engagement long distance...let alone the first 6 months of marriage. >.<

We were looking at maybe going the FAS route. The usually seem to be more lenient.

As for him going back to do exams, he is an intelligent guy...so I don't think it would be a big problem.

Why do you say that about plumbing? To be honest with you, I think out of any of the trades plumbers are going to have the best bet for work...people always need a plumber.

Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭li@mo

I suppose your right about them not being the hardest hit but there will (and already is) a slowdown in that area.

A quick google and Im left red faced because they reckon plumbers will do ok.

http://careeradvice.loadzajobs.ie/industry-insight/top-20-careers-to-pursue-in-a-recession-3567

http://www.prlog.org/10090074-plumbers-to-ride-out-the-recession-says-train-4-trade-skills.html

http://www.24-7pressrelease.com/press-release/plumbing-is-the-uks-most-recessionproof-job-69148.php

http://www.careersandjobs.ie/tag/recession-jobs/

My advice to you is to get in contact with FÁS and see what they can do for you.

www.fas.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Neverwhere

[EMAIL="li@mo"]li@mo[/EMAIL]... thanks a million. Really appreciate it. I think he was planning on emailing FAS this afternoon.
    If i dont go there, and that fails, I think he can go staight in and do the LC. So we'll see how it goes!

Advertisement