Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

does dublin have immigrant ghettos?

Options
  • 11-01-2009 4:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭

i dont believe it does, am i right or wrong?

just watching euronews and they showed the swedish protests over israel. and there just seemed to look like a more 'real' working class who are quite clearly not ethnic swedes.

i get the impression that the immigrant community in ireland is not very rigid and at any time could just pack up and go.

basically does dublin get anybody other than economic immigrants?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

EDIT

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'm not sure if this thread is suited to the Dublin City board.
    i dont believe it does, am i right or wrong?

just watching euronews and they showed the swedish protests over israel. and there just seemed to look like a more 'real' working class who are quite clearly not ethnic swedes.

i get the impression that the immigrant community in ireland is not very rigid and at any time could just pack up and go.

I think Dublin is at a point before which areas can be identfied as immigrant ghettos - that of course doesn't mean they don't exist.

There are certainly areas with strong immigrant populations and separately there are areas with indiginous ghettos.

"and there just seemed to look like a more 'real' working class who are quite clearly not ethnic swedes." - Sweden has had ugly women for a long time, they just hide them :pac: More seriously, Sweden has had a much longer history of immigration that we just haven't had. Just because they might not look Swedish, doesn't mean that they aren't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭pepsicokeacola

thanks for leaving it open and thanks for the answer. not sure what im getting at really but just was thinking it when i seen it on the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

A lot of those people were probably born and raised in Stockholm. It's been an ethnically diverse city for a long time.

Sure - refugees, students, spouses of Irish citizens, returning emigrants and their descendants, people from other countries who just for some strange reason want to live in Dublin.

Of course immigrants aren't necessarily "ethnic" looking anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Does Dr Quirkeys count?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Moore St was first into my head but then again that's a commercial area more so than a residential one and it ain't a ghetto yet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Lucan

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Rathmines road?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Tyrellstown,Parnell St.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

ballsbridge...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Rathmines (and Ranelagh to a lesser extent) on the Southside
    Phibsboro and Drumcondra on the Northside.

I find most of the culchies end up here when they migrate to Dublin
    for education and employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

the east end of Parnell St. would probably be the closest in my mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭sillysasauge

Nothing that ive seen of anyway, especially compared to se london where I grew up, Probably Phibsboro is the most multicultural area ive seen in Dublin, but they all seem to mind their own business, I havent experienced anything near the intimidation here that I was used to In London.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Jerimiah

Parnell Street... Moore street......

the north inner city has more "Non Nationals" that "Nationals" over 58% last time they counted AFAIK...

Blanchardstown is similar AFAIK.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Black community in Ballybough
    Ok, not huge numbers but far more noticable then any other area I've seen in Dublin and it was my short-cut to work every day so know it well
    Rathmines (and Ranelagh to a lesser extent) on the Southside
    Phibsboro and Drumcondra on the Northside.

I find most of the culchies end up here when they migrate to Dublin
    for education and employment.

lol, so true :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Jerimiah wrote: »
    Parnell Street... Moore street......
    Hardly ghettoes - its not as is a wide section of the population refuses to go there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Jerimiah

Victor wrote: »
    Hardly ghettoes - its not as is a wide section of the population refuses to go there.

true, but more "Non Nationals" would live there plus most of the shops are aimed towards "Non nationals" and it would be the most "intergrated" part of dublin atm, not saying its a bad thing but them places would have the most concentrated numbers of "Non nationals", infact they would out number "Nationals"..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Blanch/Tyrells/Ongar/Clonsilla - in fact most of Dublin 15 would have a higher than average number of foreign nationals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭RaverRo808

Mairt wrote: »
    Blanch/Tyrells/Ongar/Clonsilla - in fact most of Dublin 15 would have a higher than average number of foreign nationals.

Nah I wouldnt agree with you there,agreed there are alot of foreigners in the area,but its everywhere not just Dublin 15,Clondalkin,Finglas,Coolock,Balbriggan,Tallaght,Crumlin,etc,there are millions of foreigners residing in these areas,sure on my folks road in Cabra,there would be more foreigners living there then locals

RaverRo808 wrote: »
    Nah I wouldnt agree with you there,agreed there are alot of foreigners in the area,but its everywhere not just Dublin 15,Clondalkin,Finglas,Coolock,Balbriggan,Tallaght,Crumlin,etc,there are millions of foreigners residing in these areas,sure on my folks road in Cabra,there would be more foreigners living there then locals

Where in finglas are there foreigners?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Well Dublin 15 or the greater blanchardstown area has a bigger population then limerick city and has been the biggest growing urban area in Europe for the last 8 years.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Well Dublin 15 or the greater blanchardstown area has a bigger population then limerick city and has been the biggest growing urban area in Europe for the last 8 years.

Yeah,but it is noticible in places like tyrellstown.Usually as a result of greedy bastards "buying to let" and then renting the properties ouut to refugees and immigrants.
    No irish person in thier right mind would want to actually live there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

God, they're everywhere. No-one is safe.

You would expect to find high concentrations in the areas where lots of apartments were bought as investments and now offer low rents - Tyrellstown, Clongriffin etc.
    Many people were housed in the Dublin 1 and 7 areas by the HSE - this gave the impression of a flood of foreigners, when in fact there was no such thing.

Thaedydal wrote: »

Which can be attributed to the influx of foreign nationals in the last decade, placing a huge burden on social services and schools in the area.

Now you can put that down to FF failure to foresee the problem immigration would bring and failing to put the infastructure into place ahead of it or whatever you want but the fact remains there's a problem in providing social services and school places to these people.

spurious wrote: »
    Many people were housed in the Dublin 1 and 7 areas by the HSE - this gave the impression of a flood of foreigners, when in fact there was no such thing.

There wasn't? :eek:

I've often found myself in a minority in some area's of Dublin in the last ten years.

Which can be attributed to the influx of foreign nationals in the last decade, placing a huge burden on social services and schools in the area.

Now you can put that down to FF failure to foresee the problem immigration would bring and failing to put the infastructure into place ahead of it or whatever you want but the fact remains there's a problem in providing social services and school places to these people.

A problem that has been compounded by the unwillingless of many irish people to send thier kids to school in areas full of immigrants.

Degsy wrote: »
    A problem that has been compounded by the unwillingless of many irish people to send thier kids to school in areas full of immigrants.

The flip side of that is the Catholic church's unwillingness to accept pupils into their school's of differing religions.

Personally I chose my daughters school on the basis that it didn't have too many immigrant children or over crowding as she struggles with Dyslexia and I wanted her to get the maximum amount of class time and not be heldback because a teacher was struggling in a class room of 30+ children and a dozen different languages.

'Racist or realist' I don't care I'll look after my own first.

But thats getting way off topic.

Ghettos I think is too strong a word, 'birds of a feather' and all that.

The Irish have area's of London and New York where we traditionally flock to when things get tight here, but thats not because we're penned into those area's by local authorities its because most people will choose to live with their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭RaverRo808

Degsy wrote: »
    Where in finglas are there foreigners?

Charlestown is riddled,brand new development and area,built on Finglas Outskirts,occupied mainly by non-nationals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭pepsicokeacola

The flip side of that is the Catholic church's unwillingness to accept pupils into their school's of differing religions.

Personally I chose my daughters school on the basis that it didn't have too many immigrant children or over crowding as she struggles with Dyslexia and I wanted her to get the maximum amount of class time and not be heldback because a teacher was struggling in a class room of 30+ children and a dozen different languages.

The Irish have area's of London and New York where we traditionally flock to when things get tight here, but thats not because we're penned into those area's by local authorities its because most people will choose to live with their own.

New york is a terrible example. The history of immigration they have and still the place is very segregated.

Look at the Irish in the rest of Europe tho, as well as Mexico, Argentina they all assimiliated.

I understand why you wouldn't send your daughter to a school like that considering her dyslexia.

• Advertisement

My sister is living in Donabate and the local school is full of immigrants,many of which cant speak English.
    She's sending her children to an irish school where at least they'll be in with a shout of getting a proper education.
    There's no way a school full of immigrants isnt going to suffer a disproportionate number of problems,not least because in t oday's PC society,teachers will be afraid to discipline them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement