Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is my car a 'carvan'? - Insurance Question

Options
  • 11-01-2009 4:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Well my insurance is due this month, and im looking over the policy and only now realised the car is listed as a carvan 3 doors, so i tried to get a quote on a carvan and a 3 door car with the exact same engine size and there is a 500euro difference, the thing is when I rang up the insurance company all i gave was my vehicle reg and the operator said vw polo and i said yes, so im wondering is my car a carvan as it must of came up as one when he entered in the reg of the car, but im looking over the vehicle registration cert and it says nothing about the car being a carvan:confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭tu2j2

Is your car a van?

ie. no back seats and a flat floor in the rear? Insurance on car derived van's is much cheaper than the equivalent car.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,249 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If your vehicle has rear seats, rear side windows and rear seat belts with fixed mountings then it is deemed a passenger vehicle and not a commercial vehicle afaik. I think the Vehicle Licencing Certificate may also state whether it is classed as a passenger or commercial vehicle but this may have little or no relevance to insurance.

It sounds to me like your insurance company have incorrect information which technically means you may not be insured. Always a good thing to read your policy documents thoroughly when you get them as it is very easy for mistakes to be made.

I'd be contacting them as soon as possible about recifying this.

Maybe someone here with more inside insurance knowledge might know more.

Advertisement