Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Going to games - money well spent or a waste?

• 06-12-2008 4:02pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭

Some of us go to games instead of relying on highlights programmes.

Miaow...;)
    Congratulations, you spend way too much money on flights/tickets, spend hours waiting in an airport, have the pleasure of sitting on a cramped ryanair flight, commuting to and from matches, possible hotel charges all so you can sit in a cold stadium for 90 minutes with 30,000 other fools when you could get a better view from your living room, and 2 months later you start this thread.

Genius!:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Congratulations, you spend way too much money on flights/tickets, spend hours waiting in an airport, have the pleasure of sitting on a cramped ryanair flight, commuting to and from matches, possible hotel charges all so you can sit in a cold stadium for 90 minutes with 30,000 other fools when you could get a better view from your living room, and 2 months later you start this thread.

I prefer British Midland tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

I may disagree with reckless from time to time on certain things, but to try and portray his passion and commitment to Tottenham Hotspur as being something 'foolish', is laughable to say the least. He is the definition of a proper football fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I may disagree with reckless from time to time on certain things, but to try and portray his passion and commitment to Tottenham Hotspur as being something 'foolish', is laughable to say the least. He is the definition of a proper football fan.
    And only football fans would put up with such terrible conditions (say's I tongue in cheek ) ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

*vomits*

How touching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

*vomits*

How touching.

ever been to a match?

• Advertisement

Helix wrote: »
    ever been to a match?
    Yep, am I a true football fan now?

Yep, am I a true football fan now?

i never questioned whether you were or not, just seemed very strange that someone who had actually been to live football could make the comment you did

a trip to the uk for a match costs about half as much as a night out in dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Is your entire body composed of plastic?

i never questioned whether you were or not, just seemed very strange that someone who had actually been to live football could make the comment you did

I lived in the UK at the time, I was also 8 years old and didn't pay.

And I don't do nights out in Dublin.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

How much is a night out in Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

podge018 wrote: »

How long's a piece of string?

I lived in the UK at the time, I was also 8 years old and didn't pay.

And I don't do nights out in Dublin.

:)

so you havent been to a match in your adult life then?

and for the record, typical cost of a matchday for me:

flights: €20-50 depending when you book it
    trains: £4
    cinema: £4.50
    dinner: £10
    program: £2.50

if you think thats expensive and too much money then you have my deepest sympathies

exactly. Saying it costs half as much to go watch a game in the UK is balderdash. I had a great night out last night for €150. Don't think I'd get to Drogheda to see Bohs without spending €75.

€120-160 or thereabouts

if you think thats expensive and too much money then you have my deepest sympathies

match ticket?

match ticket?

i have a season ticket, which ironically cost less than my drogheda season ticket

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

€120-160 or thereabouts

Don't think I've ever spent that much...

still cost money though.

still cost money though.

a pittance, and a pittance that probably costs about the same as a monthly train ticket from drogheda to dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

€120-160 or thereabouts

You must have a drink problem

• Advertisement

Unearthly wrote: »
    You must have a drink problem

no, i live a fair bit from dublin tho and taxis are about 55 quid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Fair enough, thought so

God bless €5 nitelinks :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

no, i live a fair bit from dublin tho and taxis are about 55 quid

Well how much would a nite out in your local town be?

Bit unfair to factor in taxi's if you live miles away.

You'd be better off staying in a hotel, than pay 55 euro...

id rather carve my face off than go out in my locals, so i honestly dont know what it costs as i havent done it in about 7 years. €22 for a bag of cans and some fags tho lol

For someone who spends 120 - 160 euro on a night out, it is you who has my deepest sympathies.

For someone who spends 120 - 160 euro on a night out, it is you who has my deepest sympathies.

over a ton doesnt be long disappearing. a decent bit of grub will cost you over 20 quid for starters, a taxi is nearly 60, thats the guts of a ton gone already. and for a fiver a pint and nearly a tenner for a box of smokes, youre in 3 figures before you even pay in to see a band or a dj

over a ton doesnt be long disappearing. a decent bit of grub will cost you over 20 quid for starters, a taxi is nearly 60, thats the guts of a ton gone already. and for a fiver a pint and nearly a tenner for a box of smokes, youre in 3 figures before you even pay in to see a band or a dj
    Not to mention paying the guy holding a gun to your head to make you do all these things.

Not to mention paying the guy holding a gun to your head to make you do all these things.

i didnt say anyone was forcing me to do any of those things. if i couldnt afford it i wouldnt do any of those things. if i couldnt afford to go to england every other week for football i wouldnt do that either, and if i couldnt afford a loi season ticket i wouldnt buy one.

my point is, that you made out that going to the uk is ridiculously expensive and time consuming, which its not. you then went on to admit that you hadnt actually been to a match since you were 8, which hardly makes you clued in on the subject that you were trying to give reckless guff over. my suggestion is pipe down or maybe look into what it is youre talking about before deciding your opinion matters

my point is, that you made out that going to the uk is ridiculously expensive and time consuming, which its not. you then went on to admit that you hadnt actually been to a match since you were 8, which hardly makes you clued in on the subject that you were trying to give reckless guff over. my suggestion is pipe down or maybe look into what it is youre talking about before deciding your opinion matters

I never said it was ridiculously expensive, I said you spend way too much in comparison to sitting at home and watching it for free (or even PPV). And I would consider spending 90% of a day commuting with the other 10% watching a match very time consuming indeed, even more so if you stay overnight which would also add extra costs.

• Advertisement

travelling is only time consuming if you dont do something productive or interesting while youre travelling

only boring people get bored :p

Why have sympathy for the guy at all, he's obviously happy doing what he wants with his own time and money. More power to Helix if that's what he chooses to do, I'm more than happy to drop €100+ on a few drinks and a bite to eat with mates, I don't assess value by how much I've saved on a night out (or how much I've spent for that matter)

The same applies to football, when you're sitting on your arse tonight watching MOTD, and sipping on a can of Dutch Gold cos you won't spend Christmas, pay attention to all those people sitting in seats in the stands, watching live football and contributing to the atmosphere in the ground. They all pay good money to do that, I suppose you think they're all wasting their time and money as well? The Chelsea fans who travelled to Bolton today, they took longer to get there than I do from door to door at White Hart Lane.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

em, the boy wants to have fun and is doing it the way he wants. do u really think he feels forced into this? hes forced into the price, thats about it.

we could all vote for the conservative party and spend **** all but piss that on a fake, boring night out in a place u dont want to be

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Jazzy wrote: »
    we could all vote for the conservative party

:confused:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

**** it, I've spent upwards of 200 on a night where I walked back and forth to the club.
    Sure what worth does money have if you can't emjoy it?

therecklessone and helix (and anyone in of a similar mindset) are dead right.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

OPENROAD wrote: »
    :confused:

i was suggesting a conservative attitude and if i was to say fianna fail ppl wouldnt have got it / kicked up a fuss

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

What the hell are you doing posting in a football forum, you obviously have no clue if that’s what you think going to a game is like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I said you spend way too much in comparison to sitting at home and watching it for free (or even PPV).

You're not really grasping the point of this football lark are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭shamblertine

Why have sympathy for the guy at all, he's obviously happy doing what he wants with his own time and money.

he obviously has more money that sense, I spend about 40 euros on a night out, not sure how I'd spend more unless I started drinking champagne on nights out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

He's already outlined how he spends it ffs, his money his right to spend as he sees fit. Talk about bringing up an old thread.

He's already outlined how he spends it ffs, his money his right to spend as he sees fit. Talk about bringing up an old thread.

All I'm saying is he has no idea of the value of money. I could live for a month quite easily on what he spends on a night out ffs. He doesn't need to get taxis , he could get a bus or train or luas on the way in. OK he might need to get a taxi out again if there is no bus/train/luas on at whatever time he is going home at. He doesn't need to have a meal out as well, just fcukin have a meal at home for christ sake. Also he must be fcuking buying for drinks for everyone without them buying him drinks back to spend that much on a night out. Disgraceful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

So ****ing what?

Davei141 wrote: »
    So ****ing what?

its not fcuking right, its sick that people could be so wasteful with money

its not fcuking right, its sick that people could be so wasteful with money

It's his money to spend, and it's not really your position to judge him on how he spends it.

It's his money to spend, and it's not really your position to judge him on how he spends it.

He posted it up for us to scrutinise, so I think he can have no complaints if we judge him for the way he lives. I'd love to see his monthly income (although I suspect all his money comes from daddy) and his monthly expenditure, mate if you're reading this please post it if you don't mind. I'm sure I could give you some advice on how to save a few quid.

He posted it up for us to scrutinise, so I think he can have no complaints if we judge him for the way he lives. I'd love to see his monthly income (although I suspect all his money comes from daddy) and his monthly expenditure, mate if you're reading this please post it if you don't mind. I'm sure I could give you some advice on how to save a few quid.

You must be on a wind up.

I happily spend that much money on a night out when it suits me, I enjoy eating out, spending time with friends if that means over a nice dinner or over a few pints and a cocktail or two. I work hard to earn what I spend, rely on nobody else to support my lifestyle, nor expect any handouts.

Speaking for myself, I don't need any advice on how to save money, when I need to I cut back I do so.

You should really find something else to occupy your time.

You must be on a wind up.

I happily spend that much money on a night out when it suits me, I enjoy eating out, spending time with friends if that means over a nice dinner or over a few pints and a cocktail or two. I work hard to earn what I spend, rely on nobody else to support my lifestyle, nor expect any handouts.

Speaking for myself, I don't need any advice on how to save money, when I need to I cut back I do so.

You should really find something else to occupy your time.

Not on a wind up, I just can't for the life of me understand how anyone could come close to spending 160 on a night out.

Like you said you have a few pints and a couple of coctails, so thats what 25 euro. You have a meal, lets say you go to an expensive restraurant and have 3 courses, what will that come to, say about 60 euros. So thats your drinks and meal totalling 85 euros in total, what is the other 75 euros being spent on?

So thats your drinks and meal totalling 85 euros in total, what is the other 75 euros being spent on?

Personally speaking, I light cigars with burning €50 notes. Cos I can.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Not on a wind up, I just can't for the life of me understand how anyone could come close to spending 160 on a night out.

Like you said you have a few pints and a couple of coctails, so thats what 25 euro. You have a meal, lets say you go to an expensive restraurant and have 3 courses, what will that come to, say about 60 euros. So thats your drinks and meal totalling 85 euros in total, what is the other 75 euros being spent on?

Bull**** 4 pints for myself in a bar = 20 for myself probably but a couple for my mates another 2/3 at least = 15
    The into a club = at least 10
    then in the club for 4 hours will easily spend 100+ euro on myself, my mates and my girlfriend, Why else would I want money if not to enjoy it? it's not much fun enjoying at alone so I share it. get of your stingy high horse.

If you throw a meal in michelin starred resteraunt in there you can double that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

this thread is mad

mayordenis wrote: »
    Bull**** 4 pints for myself in a bar = 20 for myself probably but a couple for my mates another 2/3 at least = 15
    The into a club = at least 10
    then in the club for 4 hours will easily spend 100+ euro on myself, my mates and my girlfriend, Why else would I want money if not to enjoy it? it's not much fun enjoying at alone so I share it. get of your stingy high horse.

If you throw a meal in michelin starred resteraunt in there you can double that.

So your buying 7 pints before you even hit the club, 4 are for you and 3 for your mates, I presume your mates buy you a drink in return, so your downing 7 pints before the club. Then you spend 100+ in the club? Whats that 20 pints? Again assuming that for every pint you buy your mates they return one to you, your drinking 27 pints in a night. Fair play to ye.

• Advertisement
Advertisement