Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Going to games - money well spent or a waste?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Again assuming that for every pint you buy your mates they return one to you, your drinking 27 pints in a night. Fair play to ye.

Fair fcuks to him, I'm gonna raise a drink to the man.

mayordenis is a horse of a man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭shamblertine

Personally speaking, I light cigars with burning €50 notes. Cos I can.

I could do that on a night out, and use 20 euro notes to wipe my arse after a dump, and I still wouldn't be near to spending 160 euro

I could do that on a night out, and use 20 euro notes to wipe my arse after a dump, and I still wouldn't be near to spending 160 euro

All Bran.

If you'd more fibre in your diet you'd have a massive dump, requiring numerous wipes.

Problem solved.

Though stingy hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Jesus it's agro in here tonight...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

who renamed the off topic thread "Paul Ince - tactical genious"?

for a big night out in Dublin

10 into a club
    5 nightlink 15 taxi cos the nightlink doesent go tp where i live
    4 train in
    2 cloakroom
    20 first round of the night
    30 my remaining drinks
    20 remaining drink both for others
    kebab house 7
    incidentals, cigarettes, condoms, shots, gf's drink 20

so all in around 133euro for me on a big night

its his money to spend, he obviously enjoys going to matches, more power to him. Sounds like a man enjoying his life to me.

woo old threads ftw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,102 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

its not fcuking right, its sick that people could be so wasteful with money

dmy0021l.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Amen to enjoying your money. You can always earn more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Seeing as the Ince thread was horribly derailed, here's a brand new spanking one for all the money talk.

Just a note, if another thread goes that far OT without another one being started then infractions will be dished out.

Cheers

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Congratulations, you spend way too much money on flights/tickets, spend hours waiting in an airport, have the pleasure of sitting on a cramped ryanair flight, commuting to and from matches, possible hotel charges all so you can sit in a cold stadium for 90 minutes with 30,000 other fools when you could get a better view from your living room, and 2 months later you start this thread.

Genius!:D

Somone who really enjoyed football would realise that win, lose or draw...getting to see your team/live football makes all that worthwhile.

Trip to Leeds for me costs 100-200 euro, based purely on when I book my flights. Night out costs 100 euro or therabouts. Not a big deal in comparison. Get waaaay more pleasure from a trip to Leeds than you get from being in a stuffy nightclub with drunk morons groin grinding you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

Charlie wrote: »
    He is the definition of a proper football fan.

A proper football fan follows their local team. Not pick one that appears on Sky Sports.

Try following a League of Ireland team, and going to away games. Proper Football Fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Keeks wrote: »
    A proper football fan follows their local team. Not pick one that appears on Sky Sports.

Try following a League of Ireland team, and going to away games. Proper Football Fans

So if Sky Sports start showing League of Ireland games you will have to stop going?

Ahhhh the typical superiority complex of the 'diehard' LoI fan.

Draupnir wrote: »
    So if Sky Sports start showing League of Ireland games you will have to stop going?

How do you draw that conclusion? What part of "follow your local team" do you not understand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

How do you draw that conclusion? What part of "follow your local team" do you not understand?

The part I don't understand is how local they have to be? There are at least three Junior football teams more local to me than the nearest LOI team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

Haha league of Ireland. Maybe if they get proper footballers people will start going. Schoolboys league in disguise. Costs me 150 quid to go to a match including ticket, flight, food etc. Thats not much. I go about 4 to 10 times a year depending on cup matches etc and away days cost me bout extra 50quid. I dont think a proper supporter needs to go to games at all. But its just an addiction for me really. And I dont go holidays every summer or nething only the odd time so the money is used on matches instead.

Edit: This is not trolling btw. It is my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

DrMorphine wrote: »
    Haha league of Ireland. maybe if they get proper footballers people will start going. Schoolboys league in disguise. Costs me 150 quid to go to a match including ticket, flight, food etc. Thats not much. I go about 4 to 10 times a year depending on cup matches etc and away days cost me bout extra 50quid. I dont think a proper supporter needs to go to games at all. But its just an addiction for me really. And I dont go holidays every summer or nething only the odd time so the money is used on matches instead.

Cop on or don't post. Anymore of that trolling and you can have an infraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

I still maintain that real fans do go to matches, whether they be LOI or foreign.
    The OP has a strange idea of what matches are like.
    I get a bus to matches.
    It costs me 15 euro max.
    And I don't have to worry about the spiralling cost of air travel/my "carbon footprint"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

How can it be a waste of money if thats what the person wants to spend their money on?

Also watching a match live is a lot different than watching on tv.

I still maintain that real fans do go to matches, whether they be LOI or foreign.
    The OP has a strange idea of what matches are like.
    I get a bus to matches.
    It costs me 15 euro max.
    And I don't have to worry about the spiralling cost of air travel/my "carbon footprint"

Thank you.

I grew up right, smack bang in the middle of Bohs, Pats and probably Shelbourne too...they're all pretty much the same distance from me as 'local clubs' go. Been to many, many, many Bohs and Pats games and 'claim' to be Bohs, I can't force myself to have passion for a team, Leeds summon up completely, completely, COMPLETELY different feelings for me, otherwise I wouldn't make the trip twice a month. Bohs games, for me, is an interest, gives me live football in the summer/when I can't get to Leeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,960 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

DrMorphine wrote: »
    Schoolboys league in disguise.

Great disguises the players have yeah? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

A couple of things:

1. Sky Sports did not exist in 1984, which is my earliest memory of supporting Spurs.

2. I don't have a Sky Sports subscription.

3. I travel home/away to see them, average about 25 games a year, been all over Europe, would be going to Donetsk next month only for my mother is recovering from serious illness/surgery late last year and I'd like to spend some time helping with that.

4. I'm a Shels fan as well, have been since the early 90s, though they're not my local team (both Home Farm and Drogheda were nearer as the crow flies, and Drogheda was easier to get to)

But yeah, me arbitrarily picking a LOI side to support despite me having virtually no ties with them would make me a proper fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

I'm not sure if it's the same for all supporters, but I know some FCB fans feel the same way as me on the subject so I doubt it could be that different for other supporters. I believe that after your first live game in person with the team you support, you come out of the stadium with a different outlook to how you feel about your team.

When your surrounded by the random people who all share a common interest, going through the ups and downs of being a supporter, the atmosphere, the colour, seeing the pitch and players in the flesh. Even the smell in the stadium, I think the way I felt about the team I support after seeing them live was completely different to 90 minutes before hand.

I'm not trying to say you become a bigger fan, it just feels like you come out having made a connection with the club or something, it's a completely different type of support, I can't really describe it, but that's just my experiences. I definitely think it's worth every penny going to see the team you support live, although I'm being a little hypocritical as I haven't seen Barca in bloody ages....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

This is a bizarre thread to be in the football forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

All Bran.

If you'd more fibre in your diet you'd have a massive dump, requiring numerous wipes.

Problem solved.

Though stingy hole.

Are you saying All Bran will lead to more wipeage? It leads to less coz the poop is well formed and not all mashy...

I agree that going to games is a waste of money, but since we got relegated we're not on tv any more. Hopefully we will get promoted this season so I can just watch us in the pub or at home instead of having to go to them.

Much better that way......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

eZe^ wrote: »
    I'm not sure if it's the same for all supporters, but I know some FCB fans feel the same way as me on the subject so I doubt it could be that different for other supporters. I believe that after your first live game in person with the team you support, you come out of the stadium with a different outlook to how you feel about your team.

Sitting in row 100 surrounded by other tourists and seeing little in way of atmosphere other than a tiny section behind one of the goals put me off Barca more than anything.

Agreed, Im not sure why people get so defensive on that.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I had zero exposure to the LOI growing up,I mean zero nothing not a thing.I have family in Liverpool and got exposed to LFC that way back in the mid/late 80s.

So by your logic I am not a real fan because I did not get into something because I had no exposure to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,434 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I'm going to my first ever Premiership game on February 21st to see Man Utd take on Blackburn Rovers in Old Trafford. Between Flights, the tickets and accommodation its gonna set us back about 220 euros each and that doesnt include us getting bananas in the pubs in Manchester that night either. But sure feck it! it's a once off thing and it'll be great craic! Especially if Rovers can beat United! :D

bohsman wrote: »

Agreed, Im not sure why people get so defensive on that.
    Trying to justify their inherent couch-potatoism methinks
    :rolleyes:

Zebra3 wrote: »

Much better that way......
    Watching Shels matches on TV means you wouldn't be able to share in the glory of floodlight failure
    Worth the entrance price alone!
    :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

How is this thread still open?

Going to matches is a waste of money? I have heard it all from the Irish football fan now.

I'm going to my first ever Premiership game on February 21st to see Man Utd take on Blackburn Rovers in Old Trafford. Between Flights, the tickets and accommodation its gonna set us back about 220 euros each and that doesnt include us getting bananas in the pubs in Manchester that night either. But sure feck it! it's a once off thing and it'll be great craic! Especially if Rovers can beat United! :D

Now there's loyalty...... ;)

A couple of things:

1. Sky Sports did not exist in 1984, which is my earliest memory of supporting Spurs.

2. I don't have a Sky Sports subscription.

3. I travel home/away to see them, average about 25 games a year, been all over Europe, would be going to Donetsk next month only for my mother is recovering from serious illness/surgery late last year and I'd like to spend some time helping with that.

4. I'm a Shels fan as well, have been since the early 90s, though they're not my local team (both Home Farm and Drogheda were nearer as the crow flies, and Drogheda was easier to get to)

But yeah, me arbitrarily picking a LOI side to support despite me having virtually no ties with them would make me a proper fan.
    Dub13 wrote:
    I had zero exposure to the LOI growing up,I mean zero nothing not a thing.I have family in Liverpool and got exposed to LFC that way back in the mid/late 80s.

So by your logic I am not a real fan because I did not get into something because I had no exposure to it.

Not what I ment. I probably should have explained myself a little better.

I just didn't like the defination of a proper football fan as some who goes to all the effort of going back and forth to see premier league games as a "proper football fan".

And i wasn't really refering to LOI teams when I mentioning local teams. When I said local, i ment local, as in your locality. Their are people that go to junior games home and away just because they are their team.

The only reason I mention LOI teams, is that there is a lot of effort goes into traveling to some away games. Take Derry or Finn Harps fans traveling to Cork or Cobh or vice versa. This is a 7/8 hour car trip one way, and fans bring flags, drum and other tifo equipment all to create atmosphere and more enjoyment at games.

I have no problem with people following EPL teams. No problem with people going to games. Just didn't like that definition of a "proper fan"

I generally don't like defining fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,434 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Now there's loyalty...... ;)

I'm a supporter, not a fanatic, lol ;)

I just didn't like the defination of a proper football fan as some who goes to all the effort of going back and forth to see premier league games as a "proper football fan".

I don't believe that was the context of charlie's remark. I believe he suggested I was a "proper2 fan because I put a lot of effort into going to see the team I support. Surely it doesn't matter what level of football floats your boat, as long as you put in the leg work?
    The only reason I mention LOI teams, is that there is a lot of effort goes into traveling to some away games. Take Derry or Finn Harps fans traveling to Cork or Cobh or vice versa. This is a 7/8 hour car trip one way

Finish work at 11pm Saturday night.
    Depart Dublin for Manchester at 6:30am Sunday morning.
    Catch train from Manchester Airport, travel 3hrs across the North of England to Middlesborough.
    Watch 3-3 draw.
    Catch train to Newcastle via Darlington (including an hour spent on platform in Darlington on a freezing December evening)
    Spend 3hrs waiting for last flight from Newcastle to Dublin, arrive home at 12:30am Monday morning.
    Start work at 7am Monday morning.

See? I can put in a bit of effort too...;)

Or maybe I should mention the 18hr (inclusive of layover in Prague) trip from Dublin to Tel Aviv?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bmcgov86

aercoach to dublin airport........€8
    flight to glasgow prestwick.......€85
    train to glasgow city centre......€7
    ticket to match in Paradise......................€38
    seeing Alan Thompson get the winner against Barcelona..........priceless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Has anyone mentioned yet that, apart from value for money and some obscure virtue, going to games is a good way to support your club?

SectionF wrote: »
    Has anyone mentioned yet that, apart from value for money and some obscure virtue, going to games is a good way to support your club?
    In fairness, "supporting your club" is quite different for EL fans and other fans
    -supporting an EL club is hugely important because the club relies on its fans to survive
    -many big foreign teams don't need that one fan, they have a lot more than EL clubs
    -it is a good way to support your club, but for fans of rich teams that's unlikely to matter as much as it does for an EL fan

In fairness, "supporting your club" is quite different for EL fans and other fans
    -supporting an EL club is hugely important because the club relies on its fans to survive
    -many big foreign teams don't need that one fan, they have a lot more than EL clubs
    -it is a good way to support your club, but for fans of rich teams that's unlikely to matter as much as it does for an EL fan

If british teams lost all their Irish fans they'd all be losing a massive income stream, and the fans WOULD be missed.

• Advertisement

mp1972 wrote: »
    If british teams lost all their Irish fans they'd all be losing a massive income stream, and the fans WOULD be missed.
    Yeah losing ALL their Irish fans may dent their finances
    For an EL club: losing 40-50 fans is a blow

including an hour spent on platform in Darlington on a freezing December evening

I'd have gone for a pint..... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Pfft! I wipe my arse with €100's. I'm not bragging tho. The tonnes are simply better for wiping ones arse with They're 2-ply and far more absorbent than 20's.

On a night out I can easily spend several hundred but that's down to a number of factors
    a) All my friends using me for free drinks
    b) I have a taste for expensive prostitutes
    c) I'm currently suffering from chronic diarrhea.

Far cheaper to go to a football match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

I have been over to West Ham 3 times in the past 10 years.

November 1999 V Sheffield Wednesday. WH Won 4-3
    March 2002 v Manchester United. MUFC Won 3-5
    November 2004 v Watford. WHU Won 3-2

Worth every penny. Two nights in London Hotel, all the benefits of a great city, and three amazing football matches.

I will only go to London for a purpose i.e. match, concert (always Metallica), meeting. As a result the city and all the rest is a complete bonus.

I have been out to Upton Park everytime I have returned to London, however, I really need to get back for a good match

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

I have maintained ties with Shelbourne FC, even though I feel out of love with them between 2004-2007. I live in Templeogue, and would never consider supporting Shamrock Rovers when their move to Tallaght official.

The first team I ever went to see play premiership football was West Ham. The First American City I ever stayed in was Dallas. Suffice to say it has nothing to do with the television which has made me a West Ham or a Dallas Cowboys fans.

In terms of GAA, I am a Dub through and through. I have no "second team". I hate them all equally !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

eL heads still trying to guilt trip everyone into '09 eh? Howsabout a new year's resolution from you fellas to stop banging that drum. The trips over are worth their weight in gold.

I swear I'm gonna retire to a pokey council flat overlooking Villa Park. Only then I'll probably have to listen to the "you're an ex-pat why don't you fly home to watch Bohs" brigade. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Savman wrote: »
    eL heads still trying to guilt trip everyone into '09 eh? Howsabout a new year's resolution from you fellas to stop banging that drum. The trips over are worth their weight in gold.

I swear I'm gonna retire to a pokey council flat overlooking Villa Park. Only then I'll probably have to listen to the "you're an ex-pat why don't you fly home to watch Bohs" brigade. :rolleyes:

And another year of this kind of response. :rolleyes:
    Stop tarring EL fans with the one brush- I for one couldn't care less who you or anyone else supports, as long as I can continue to follow my team.

Howsabout a new years resolution to stop generalising? :p

A fan is a fan as long as they can claim to share something with their team IMO. And again, in my opinion, going to see matches mean you share in all the emotions the team is going through.

Running on from that point, and also getting back to the original topic- going to matches is money well spent, whether that be on our fair green isle or elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

And another year of this kind of response. :rolleyes:
    Stop tarring EL fans with the one brush- I for one couldn't care less who you or anyone else supports, as long as I can continue to follow my team.

He's only tarring the keyboard warrior ones though? the type of militant LoI fan that spends their time here complaining about barstoolers and all that, in real life thankfully these peeps are lost in the crowd of ordinary LoI fans who don't give a **** about this type of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Of course, just gets tedious reading the same old tired arguments. If you're an avid LoI fan then best o luck to ya, but there's a few fellers who are more obsessed with berating the PL fan than they are supporting their own clubs.

Anyway, going round in circles now. Where were we....travelling to games, yes yes yes. Get stuck in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Savman wrote: »
    who are more obsessed with berating the PL fan than they are supporting their own clubs.

Do you really believe that or do you just think it makes your argument sound good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

DSB wrote: »
    Do you really believe that or do you just think it makes your argument sound good?

It does make you wonder when some posters probably have over a thousand posts dedicated to being bitter about other peoples choice of teams

I never feel the need to do it after watching Leixlip United play

• Advertisement
Advertisement