Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I think I just saw an otter!

• 11-01-2009 11:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭

I never saw one before and I'm excited about this so have to share! I'm just back from a walk along the Barrow and a small animal ran across the tow path in front of me - it was about the size of a 6 month old kitten or v. small cat, and was black in colour and seem to have a long (not bushy tail). It was carrying something in its mouth - probably a rat or mouse.

It was very small so at first I thought it might have been a stoat, but I think, given the location an otter is the likeliest explanation.

It was very cute! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Eilswen

Yeah your probably did. You see alot of them about coming into spring...good to think Winter is on it's way out.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

I have never seen an otter in the wild but thought they would be bigger...not sure what size the young would be at this time of year. Also, I think they would have a distinctive type of bounding walk, out of the water. One other possibility is mink. I have seen several of them and always near (or in) water...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

Yes, sorry to rain on your parade. But your description suggests mink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

I think ye are right. It really wasn't "chunky" enough to be an otter.

Oh well, a mink is unusual too! I keep walking along that river looking for otters - I suppose if a mink is in the area that might explain why I'm not seeing any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

MsFifers wrote: »
    I think ye are right. It really wasn't "chunky" enough to be an otter.

Oh well, a mink is unusual too! I keep walking along that river looking for otters - I suppose if a mink is in the area that might explain why I'm not seeing any.

your best bet to see otters if they are there, would be to walk the river at dusk..we have otters in our local river and if i was to take someone otter spotting then dusk offers the best chance.
    My river feeds into the sea locally and when the tide is moving off the last few pools, otters can be spotted fishing in the rock pools around may/june
    time especially. The otter is a great indicator as to the health of your local river as they will only inhabit good clean waterways..

Edit to add- I think that was a mink you seen.

• Advertisement
Advertisement