Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

music in D.I.T

Options
  • 11-01-2009 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭

Hey I'm have the music performance course in D.I.T down on my C.A.O and was wondering if anyone here was doing it and could give me any info on stuff like the orchestras, course breakdown, and entrance test? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ickymax

Hey, Depending on your instrument you would be part of the following, Wind ensemble, dit6 symphony orchestra, dit big band or chamber choir/choral society. There are loads of different modules in the course like composition, aural analysis and awareness, history of music, music tech, keyboard techniques and some other stuff besides. its a great place really.you'll enjoy it. and the entrance exam isn't too tough, just leaving cert standard stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

I play mainly flute and piccolo and am hoping to join the orchestras and bands as soon as I can. Could you tell me what sort of hours there are? And how many modules you take each year? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Futurecrook

On your first day you'll be given a list of the ensembles you've been assigned to and the rehearsal times for all of them. At the moment the symphony orchestra rehearse on Tuesday evenings in Kevin street but I couldn't tell you much about the wind ensemble being a trad student myself. Icky's right. It's a great college. It's quite small so you'll get to know people in the years above you and there probably won't be more than 30 people in your year.

In first year you study:
    - Music History
    - Composition - applied and stylistic (they're seperate lectures, two different lecturers)
    Music Technology
    - Aural Awareness & Analysis (again seperate lectures but same lecturer. She's amazing.)
    - 12 week introduction to Irish music.
    - 12 week music theory module.
    - Keyboard techniques.

And you'll have lessons for your main instrument. If you're not already grade 5 standard or above on piano then you'll have to study piano too. Just so you know.

The hours are great but quite odd. Not a typical 9-5 day. Lots of time off but you need to use this to practice. :)

In second year the modules change and then from 3rd year on you pick what strand you want to major in, ie. composition, history, pedagogy, performance, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Dr Gradus

Heard off my music teacher that if you get below the required amount of points for this course that they can sub you up to 100 points for getting through the interview and audition.

Is that just bull?

I've been offered music in Maynooth, and now have the chance to audition again for a place in D.I.T, but I heard there is a huge rate of people that transfer out as they do not allow all students to take performance in second year. Can anyone tell me how true that is? If I didn't make it into the performance module I would be transferring to Maynooth anyway, so should I just leave the audition and not bother? Or go for it for the year and see what happens?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Gareth-W-A

Are you saying that DIT do not allow all students to take performance in 2nd year?
    If you are, then that isn't entirely correct. As far as i'm aware(as a 2nd year music student in DIT) you only make that choice to do performance or not in 3rd year. As to whether the college itself could forcibly bar you from taking performance, i'm not sure.

Sorry that's what I meant, 3rd year. It was a career guidance teacher that said it, and that over 30% of the students that don't get to take performance transfer out to the music course in Maynooth.
    Anyway, how are you finding the music course now? Am really unsure as to what to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Gareth-W-A

I'm really enjoying it!
    We learn a lot in first year, but it's not too heavy going. They do ease you in with a couple of modules that just run for the first semester to kind of bridge the gap between the college material and the LC.
    The staff are really friendly and approachable, and all of the students are just lovely people.
    The library facilities are great, with tons of sheet music and the ensembles are all good fun.
    It's really a case of getting out what you put in in first year.
    It's really nice in 1st/2nd year because you don't really get too much written work or exams, so most of your independant work is on your instrument, which was kind of bizarre for myself to be singing all the time at first, but you see a huge change in your sound, which even motivates you more.

I would really reccomend this course, but don't really have any basis for comparison.
    I hope whatever you choose, that you enjoy it!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Futurecrook

I've been offered music in Maynooth, and now have the chance to audition again for a place in D.I.T, but I heard there is a huge rate of people that transfer out as they do not allow all students to take performance in second year. Can anyone tell me how true that is? If I didn't make it into the performance module I would be transferring to Maynooth anyway, so should I just leave the audition and not bother? Or go for it for the year and see what happens?

If you get below 60% in your performance exam at the end of 2nd year then they advise you choose another strand but they don't really stop anyone from choosing performance for 3rd year. There's usually only about 5 - 10 people per year who don't choose performance.

Advertisement