Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cowen lets €150,000 State car go the way of voting machines

Options
  • 11-01-2009 12:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭

I will start the bidding at €10,000
    Taoiseach Brian Cowen has refused to be chauffeured in a new €150,000 Mercedes S-Class because of "the changed financial and economic circumstances".

The State car has since languished unused for over six months in a garda garage, the Sunday Independent can reveal.

In the latest example of Government largesse, the top of the range black Mercedes S350 was procured for his use in June last year, but believing it would send out the wrong signals, he declined to use it.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/cowen-lets-8364150000-state-car-lie-idle-for-fear-of-looking-flashy-1598239.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Warped logic. The damn thing has already been purchased so instead of wasting the money why not make use of it or at the very least, sell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I'll give him a tenner for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭mvpr

Whats he rolling instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Because if he did use it, the Indo would be writing that in spite of the economic crisis we're all facing, and thousands of people on the dole, our out-of-touch fat-cat taoiseach is being driven around in luxury merc.

Damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The really interesting bit of this article is that contrary to his October budget spech, he already knew in June that the brown stuff was going to hit the whirly thing :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Can an S350 be "top of the range?" i'd have thought that would be one of the AMG models.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

mvpr wrote: »
    Whats he rolling instead?

They cover him in grease and roll himself and Harney in the direction they need to go. Momentum does the rest.

Can an S350 be "top of the range?" i'd have thought that would be one of the AMG models.

Our press has no idea about cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Healyc

Or at least the S500/600 models!

S350 is terrible to drive, should have at least got the S320 CDI :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Well with it not being used his current car is ticking up expenses where it could be sold on and there would be some money back, the S350 is likely losing €1k a week in depreciation and if it's left idle for the year will be worth the value of it's skin next year in scrap value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭mumblin deaf ro

Seeing as they get a new one every year, why don't they just lease the cars rather than buying them new?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    Well with it not being used his current car is ticking up expenses where it could be sold on and there would be some money back, .

Sold to who? probably could'nt give it away at the minute.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Healyc

Stekelly wrote: »
    Sold to who? probably could'nt give it away at the minute.:)

True, we had a beautiful 07 S320 CDI L in work, had every extra and more. We couldnt give the bloody thing away.

So i kept it for a week or two to bring the lads to the pub :D:D:D:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    Well with it not being used his current car is ticking up expenses where it could be sold on and there would be some money back, the S350 is likely losing €1k a week in depreciation and if it's left idle for the year will be worth the value of it's skin next year in scrap value.

Have you any idea the kind of mileage the ministerial cars do anyway? i'll give you a hint they'll just get near "scrap value" for it when it's sold anways.

Was wondering how long it would take for this to come out LOL .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

miju wrote: »
    Have you any idea the kind of mileage the ministerial cars do anyway? i'll give you a hint they'll just get near "scrap value" for it when it's sold anways.

Was wondering how long it would take for this to come out LOL .

Where do these cars actually be sold on to when they are done with them?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

usually Merlin or Wilson car auctions IIRC

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

So typical of this idiotic government that we have.....:mad::rolleyes::confused::p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Seeing as they get a new one every year, why don't they just lease the cars rather than buying them new?

They don't get new ones every year, there are some 06 and possibly some 05/04 cars in the current fleet.

They're technically Garda cars, so I'm surprised some Traffic Corps cops haven't been undercover in it on the M1/M4/M7.

He should use the thing and I'll take the E320 for a fiver:D:D

This has to be tripe...the amount of these things sitting on forecourts is unreal.
    The vehicle needs to remain plugged in to a charger as removing it would cause the onboard computer to die rendering the car unusable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I reckon they should do an 'insurance job' on it!

Max_Damage wrote: »
    I reckon they should do an 'insurance job' on it!

Are they not state insured?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

• Registered Users Posts: 51,250 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

NiSmO wrote: »

Even Skoda wouldn't claim the Octavia's boot is that big. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭alo1587

What the government should do is buy cars off the people that can't get a garage to take them in as a trade in.That way, the government get a car for their ministers (even though it might 'only' be a 97 corolla or something) and the ordinary joe gets to buy a brand new car for cash! New car sales go up, problem solved! If i was in charge, i'd have all the ministers in a fleet of 88 corollas or something.And if they didnt like them, tough ****.

alo1587 wrote: »
    What the government should do is buy cars off the people that can't get a garage to take them in as a trade in.That way, the government get a car for their ministers (even though it might 'only' be a 97 corolla or something) and the ordinary joe gets to buy a brand new car for cash! New car sales go up, problem solved! If i was in charge, i'd have all the ministers in a fleet of 88 corollas or something.And if they didnt like them, tough ****.

If you were in charge you'd put yourself in an 88 corrolla?

If you were in charge you'd put yourself in an 88 corrolla?

Yep, it wouldn't bother me.

See theres the problem. You clearly havnt the ambition needed to run the country.:)

I can see it now, you swining up to the set down area of Dublin airport to pick up Gordan Brown from the Ryanair flight you booked him over in your 88 corrolla state car and driving him to a council flat in Dorset street .

He'd find it hard not to take you seriously then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

It'd bother the bejaysis out of me, unless it was an AE30 Corrolla

See theres the problem. You clearly havnt the ambition needed to run the country.:)

I can see it now, you swining up to the set down area of Dublin airport to pick up Gordan Brown from the Ryanair flight you booked him over in your 88 corrolla state car and driving him to a council flat in Dorset street .

He'd find it hard not to take you seriously then.

Nah, if i was in charge i'd have the 1990 Corolla GLS 1.6 Executive, now thats class:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

I'd say an old Carina II with velour interior would make a perfectly good state car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

VolvoMan wrote: »
    I'd say an old Carina II with velour interior would make a perfectly good state car.

You don't happen to be trying to shift one:pac::pac:

The maths on the Indo's figures...as usual...don't add up. The list price of an S350 is €125k less VAT and VRT and you're talking more like €75k plus Garda fleet modifications and you're talking not more than €90k.

Advertisement