Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cowen lets €150,000 State car go the way of voting machines

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

Healyc wrote: »
    Or at least the S500/600 models!

S350 is terrible to drive, should have at least got the S320 CDI :D

i agree....that 350 engine is a modded 320 engine....an awful slug of a thing. Anyway its out in the open now, its paid for, just use the friggin thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

VolvoMan wrote: »
    I'd say an old Carina II with velour interior would make a perfectly good state car.

:pac: Too true.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

I always thought that they paid VRT also

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

miju wrote: »
    I always thought that they paid VRT also
    You know who gets the VRT though?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

obviously I do but in practice it works alot differently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I know yeah, but it's not as if the state is actually losing the VRT paid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I'd have thought they change the cars when they reach a certain amount of miles.

So if Biffo is still using the old car then he's just prolonging it's life, thus making the next one last longer too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

[QUOTE=ninty9er;58553886you're talking more like 75k plus Garda fleet modifications and you're talking not more than 90k.[/QUOTE]Are you suggesting that putting a few strobes in costs 15k?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Are you suggesting that putting a few strobes in costs 15k?

They have further modifications, not as much as a squad car, but they have to be secure to carry live ammunition in the boot too, since Lemass was hijacked near the border in the 40s, hence why there is now ministerial fleet with Garda drivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I'm surprised to see Cowen showing any glimmer of guilt or modesty tbh, I thought you weren't supposed to suffer from this infliction to join the FF party in the first place.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

junkyard wrote: »
    I'm surprised to see Cowen showing any glimmer of guilt or modesty tbh, I thought you weren't supposed to suffer from this infliction to join the FF party in the first place.:pac:
    How original:rolleyes: Especially from you:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

ninty9er wrote: »
    How original:rolleyes: Especially from you:pac:

Don't tell me your still supporting them? What does it take for you to see the light? I'd say you'd be the guy on the Titanic playing in the band as she sank!:p:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

you two ..get a room :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

ahh the old catch 22...

bet he couldn't sell it if he tried, as i wouldn't buy or even speak to him if i seen him walking down the street ( regardless of his political position )

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭480905

True, we had a beautiful 07 S320 CDI L in work,

WHERE DO YOU WORK? ANY JOBS GOING?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,324 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Biffo should just swap cars with Bertie (after hiding a couple of raw prawns behind the rear seats). :D

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Sleipnir wrote: »
    Because if he did use it, the Indo would be writing that in spite of the economic crisis we're all facing, and thousands of people on the dole, our out-of-touch fat-cat taoiseach is being driven around in luxury merc.

Damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

is he not still driving a luxury car?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

I have to say if that article is true I've gained a little bit of respect for Cowen.
    The car was ordered without his knowledge or consent.
    As a result of the failure to find another role for the limo, the Taoiseach has decided to make use of it after all.The car will be allocated for his use in the near future.

Looks like he tried to find another use for it or to sell it back to the suppliers. Since other options were exhausted he's now decided to use it. Fair play to him

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Squirrel wrote: »
    I have to say if that article is true I've gained a little bit of respect for Cowen.

I take it you mean this article from the other thread (which I just closed :D)
    By Senan Molony Deputy Political Editor

Monday January 12 2009

TAOISEACH Brian Cowen has finally agreed to use a new €150,000 Mercedes after the supplier refused to take it back.

Mr Cowen, currently chauffeured in a car worth half that amount, has refused to use the brand new Mercedes S-Class saloon since he came to power.

But the car was ordered anyway, and has been lying unused since Mr Cowen took over the reins -- if not the wheel.

The state car has been six months in a garda garage at headquarters in the Phoenix Park, after being ordered as a matter of routine for the new Head of Government last June.

Mr Cowen has declined to take possession of the black Mercedes S-350, believing it would send out the wrong signals in these difficult economic circumstances. The car was ordered without his knowledge or consent.

Refused

After his refusal, officials tried to return the car, but the supplier was unwilling to accept it back. It is understood the State was seeking a portion of the purchase price in exchange for the return of the vehicle, with the original sum being heavily discounted. But a sell-back was still refused.

The stand-off has caused a headache at garda HQ, where the limo needs to remain regularly plugged into a charger -- in lieu of driving -- as otherwise its onboard computer would go down, rendering the car unusable to anyone.

The Department of Justice confirmed in weekend reports that the car had not been used.

"A replacement Mercedes S-Class was ordered for the current Taoiseach in the normal way and was delivered some time ago to garda headquarters.

"The Taoiseach, however, in the light of the changed financial and economic circumstances, decided not to take delivery of this car and instead to retain his current Mercedes E-Class for as long as possible," a spokesman said.

He confirmed that the Taoiseach requested that the possibility of returning it to the supplier should be explored.

"This did not prove possible. The question of deploying it for alternative use within the fleet has also been considered. Appropriate alternative use has not been identified," he said.

"As a result of the failure to find another role for the limo, the Taoiseach has decided to make use of it after all.The car will be allocated for his use in the near future."

"

- Senan Molony Deputy Political Editor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭redtom

Sounds more like image manipulation and a bit of face saving to me, first we hear Cowen won't use it so everybody gets to thinking, "Aww, our leader is seeing sense at last, mustn't be a bad chap after all".

Once they have that in the papers, and they have the public with this thought in their minds, the politicians can go off and do whatever they like. Of course he's going to be using the S Class, I mean, he deserves it, right? Gotta have some perks in da job...

But then, maybe I'm just a cynical old ****...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

peasant wrote: »
    I take it you mean this article from the other thread (which I just closed :D)

Yeah that must be the one, I had two tabs open and thought they were the same thread. Cheers for posting it peasant

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I tell you one thing, if I was the government and the supplier refused to take it back, I'd say F.U. to said supplier and lock them out of any future contracts. Surely the state have spent millions with this supplier based on previous Merc numbers and have earned a little leeway?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

It would make one hell of an unmarked car if he reneges on taking it. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Healyc

480905 wrote: »
    WHERE DO YOU WORK? ANY JOBS GOING?

For a finance company that have loads of repos at the moment:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

For a finance company that have loads of repos at the moment:o

Anything nice in the yard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Sleipnir wrote: »
    Because if he did use it, the Indo would be writing that in spite of the economic crisis we're all facing, and thousands of people on the dole, our out-of-touch fat-cat taoiseach is being driven around in luxury merc.

Damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

Aint that the truth, as me mother would say, jaysus thats very Irish isnt it.

Advertisement