Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATI

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Sydthebeat, it is not my intention to promote or establish any particular group or organisation.
    Each individual must make up their own mind and decide on which organisation will be best for them.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

RKQ wrote: »
    sydthebeat, it is not my intention to promote or establish any particular group or organisation. Each individual must make up their own mind.

understood and accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭fatchops

sydthebeat, my puncutation is obviously not what it should be, the "chain letter style" was an off the cuff remark in relation to the best method to encourage more technicians to view this thread. However your concern is duly noted, there was no maliciousness intended

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

RKQ wrote: »
    .Each individual must make up their own mind and decide on which organisation will be best for them.
    or indeed be a member of all of them like me!!!!:D and in fairness as reccomended by IATGN in their report. Depending on where you are (or not!!) in your career all the organisations have different things to offer which may or may not be of benifit to you. you never know until you join.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭pseudo-tech

No6 wrote: »
    or indeed be a member of all of them like me!!!!:D

And me!

• Advertisement

Anyone going to the information evening in waterford tomorrow night? Its too far away from me but I'm hoping they will run it again in a few more locations. (Gmit Castlebar would be very very handy for me!!!) :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

Anyone going to the information evening in waterford tomorrow night? Its too far away from me but I'm hoping they will run it again in a few more locations. (Gmit Castlebar would be very very handy for me!!!) :D

i am

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Me too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Pity they clash but theres a Seminar on Making your home energy efficient, held in Kells, Co. Kilkenny - Thursday night, 12th March. 3 expert Speakers - PM for details.

Covering all aspects of energy efficiency, insulation options, heating systems, BER ratings and grants available etc.

I just got another email from the IATGN, theres another information night in Cork on thursday 19th March, Still to far away from me, I hope Limerick, will be next (ahem ahem!! Western Region!!!) But give us a lttile notice!!!:D

• Advertisement

I just got another email from the IATGN, theres another information night in Cork on thursday 19th March, Still to far away from me, I hope Limerick, will be next (ahem ahem!! Western Region!!!) But give us a lttile notice!!!:D

What's the line up in Cork??

Edwina shanaghan again we're all goin to somewhere?? and not to sure who else, different to Waterford, it's on my office computer so I'll post it tomorrow if someone else dosn't do it first. Fair play to them anyway its great to see a few regional nights get running again, :D

IATGN Southern Region – Information Evening
    Thursday 19th March

The Southern Region of the Irish Architectural Technology Graduate Network is pleased to announce its information evening, Thursday 19th March at CIT, Rossa Avenue, Bishopstown, Cork – lecture theatre in the Library Building.

6:00pm-Working Abroad - Visa Options for Architectural Technicians / Technologists
    By - Edwina Shanahan of Visa First.com
    6:30pm-Continuing education opportunities at CIT in Architectural Technology and related disciplines at the undergraduate level and proposed masters level programmes in the School.
    By Katherine Keane, Head of Architecture, and Dr Garrett O'Sullivan Coordinator of BSc Hons Arch Tech 4th year of the School of Building and Civil Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Cork

7:00pm-2008 Part L – BER
    By: Paul Kenny B.E MIEI. Senior Energy Consultant, Tipperary Energy Agency.
    Start Time 6:00 pm (event runs until 8:00pm)
    Admission €10 (Students FREE)

RSVP
    leanejohn@eircom.net by Monday 16th March 2009.
    For more information on this event CLICK HERE

Fair play to them anyway its great to see a few regional nights get running again, :D

Yes well done to ATI for providing this much needed service. I am the first to point out their faults, so its only fair that I congratulate them on a positive move. Keep it up and keep it positive!

How did the information evening go in Waterford?? where are we all emigrating too!!!:D

How did the information evening go in Waterford?? where are we all emigrating too!!!:D
    Never never land :D:D

I've got a four year old would be very very happy with that!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

About 25 or so there , a good few students who were interested in the talk on visas, which was interesting. CANADA, doesn't look like much of an option as it is hard to get a work visa, as there's no major AT shortage at present. A one year general type visa is easy to get and you will pick up the normal type bar work.The normal 1 year visa in Australia, won't get you work as an AT, you need one of the other visas, there is work there for AT's by all accounts, in certain regions.

As for the other two speakers, they were interesting enough, its no wonder the building regs are enforced they way they are, as access for the public to the Dail, don't comply with Part M, based on the Accessibly Audit undertaken by the speaker on the night !!!

archtech wrote: »
    its no wonder the building regs are enforced they way they are, as access for the public to the Dail, don't comply with Part M, based on the Accessibly Audit undertaken by the speaker on the night !!!

Banana Republic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭parka

archtech wrote: »
    As for the other two speakers, they were interesting enough, its no wonder the building regs are enforced they way they are, as access for the public to the Dail, don't comply with Part M, based on the Accessibly Audit undertaken by the speaker on the night !!!

Out of interest who was the speaker? (Found it)

Most buildings don't comply with Part M as the basics are still being misunderstood.

The new Part M, while improved won't be inline with BS8300 (2009)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Supertech

Speaker was William Lonergan from OPW. BS8300 is what OPW use for their access auditing. Part M is still under review with no definite publish date as yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭parka

Supertech wrote: »
    Speaker was William Lonergan from OPW. BS8300 is what OPW use for their access auditing. Part M is still under review with no definite publish date as yet.

The problem with using BS8300 in an access audit is that most designs won't reach compliance with it, due to Part M having different layouts and minimum sizes. (saying that Part M compliance can be a miracle even in recent schemes)
    New Part M is due by the summer. (it was meant to be last summer)

parka wrote: »
    The problem with using BS8300 in an access audit is that most designs won't reach compliance with it, due to Part M having different layouts and minimum sizes. (saying that Part M compliance can be a miracle even in recent schemes)
    New Part M is due by the summer. (it was meant to be last summer)

Is it not about time that Qualified Architectural Technicians/ Technologists are consulted about the workings of the Technical Guidance Documents. I for one feel that ATs should be playing a central role, if not given full responsibility for preparing them. We have given many examples of there failing together with many examples of where Architects don't understand them. When are Technicians going to stand up and be counted?? How can we position ourselves, in order to promote and expand our profession??

In fairness Pusedo Tech I know of two who are on BRAB (building regulations adviosary board) When Building regs are out for public consultation thats when we should comment, if enough of use comment regurarly we may get noticed eventually!!!:D

In fairness Pusedo Tech I know of two who are on BRAB (building regulations adviosary board) When Building regs are out for public consultation thats when we should comment, if enough of use comment regurarly we may get noticed eventually!!!:D

thanks for that No. 6. 2 Technicians on the Advisory Board. How many others are on the panel and from where do they come from. Who puts forward the two Technicians??

Representative bodies should also be doing this on our behalf!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,270 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Posts on the BRAB have been moved to a new thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭armchairninja

Just checked the emails there, Info evening for the Dublin Region next Thursday

IATGN Dublin Region – Information Evening
    Thursday 26th March

The Dublin Region of the Irish Architectural Technology Graduate Network is pleased to announce its information evening, Thursday 26th of March in Room 236 in DIT Bolton Street at 6pm.

6:00pm-Working Abroad - Visa Options for Architectural Technicians / Technologists

By – Shane Finn of Visa First.com

6:30pm - Update on recently validated full time and part time honours degree and postgraduate certificate programmes in architectural technology in DIT.

By Cormac Allen B Arch, M Arch Sc, Dip Arch Tech, MRIAI, Head of Department of Architectural Technology, DIT, Bolton Street.

7:00pm-2008 Part L – BER

By: Joe Hayden Senior Energy Engineer, Dublin Energy Agency.

Start Time 6:00 pm (event runs until 8:00pm)
    Admission €10 (Students FREE)

RSVP info@architecturaltechnology.ie by Tuesday 24th March 2009.

Should be interesting to hear what Cormac Allen has to say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

fatchops wrote: »
    Should be interesting to hear what Cormac Allen has to say
    And the whole visa thing.

Many going to this?

Is it free in if unemployed :D I still consider myself a student :p

• Advertisement

Well I think after the discussions here it would be bad form not to attend. The visa aspect of the event doesn't really interest me as I'm gonna tough it out here and see how things develop,(might be eating those words)

Advertisement