Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lost Petrol Cap - How to replace ?

Options
  • 11-01-2009 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭

Guys,

I don;t want to go into the how of it ... let's just say it fell off by magic last time I put petril in... and not through stupidity :)

Anyway, I lost the fuel/petrol cap off my car (01 Opel Astra Coupe Bertone). Rang Halfords and they say it would take 2 weeks to get a replacement !

Have I any other options ?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Option 1, the ultimate cheapy -any petrol station has the flexicap.

Option 2, scrapyard. It might - might - cost you ...Eur 1.00 ? Can be off any Opel

Option 3, Opel dealer ? He might even have a freebie one for you........

Option 4, Halfords ? That makes no sense !

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Most garages / car shops sell generic push-fit petrol caps that would do nicely until you get the proper Opel one. They have coloured plastic twisted fins that adjust to fit you petrol inlet. Look out for green fins if your car uses unleaded, black for diesel etc. They match the differnt sized inlet just the way the petrol pumps do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

thanks guys. Appreciate the help.

Will ring the local scrap yard and get a universal cap asap if I have to wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

samhail wrote: »

Looks like they're selling the petrol cap door there.

A word of warning about eBay petrol caps.
    I bought a lockable one specificaly for a Toyota Celica, but the thread/thread depth looked wrong. I tried it and it broke/refused to come out.

So I suspect a lot of those ads in eBay for model specific petrol caps are actually universal ones they may or may not work.
    I ended up having to get a mechanic to force mine off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Thanks guys. Got the 'emergency' replacement cap and will get the real deal asap.

Advertisement