Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salthill 2009.......?

• 11-01-2009 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

Is there any chance.......?

I'm sure I already know the answer :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Its very unlikely, but i think they should have something like it this year. I know it costs alot, but it might bring some money into the city. Even if they had an event, but in the sea instead of the air. Always baffles me that they dont take more advantage salthill. Maybe the Volvo ocean race will be out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I would say the day of state sponsored fun and games are now over. :mad:

(Unless its an intended propaganda display laid on by the superpowers).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I would say the day of state sponsored fun and games are now over. :mad:

The Salthill Airshow was never State sponsored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    The Salthill Airshow was never State sponsored.
    I thought Galway CC were liable for event insurance etc?. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

No there is not one this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 821 ✭✭✭FiSe

So end of the era, officially now?

I cant say if it's the end thats up to my Father and the rest of the Committee to decide.

Steyr wrote: »
    I cant say if it's the end thats up to my Father and the rest of the Committee to decide.

Those guys did absolute trojan work organising the Air Show every year with very little thanks for bringing such numbers of visitors and their money into the city.

Am I correct in my belief that none of the Committee earned a wage from their work organising the Air Show?

Those guys did absolute trojan work organising the Air Show every year

Thank You.:)
    Am I correct in my belief that none of the Committee earned a wage from their work organising the Air Show?

Absolutely correct, not one single cent. Only payment was seeing people smile at a great day out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I can't afford much, but i'm willing to donate. It was sorely missed last year.

• Advertisement

Losing the Air Show is something that really grinds my gears:mad:

Firstly, as a private pilot and a bit of an enthusiast I loved all the different types of aircraft visiting Galway, and trying to bum a life from most of them!

Secondly and most importantly, the Air Show brought an unquantifiable amount of tourists, atmosphere, inward investment and cash into our local economy.

I know that there are some serious issues that need to be resolved in terms of a public display license, or the lack thereof, insurance and marshaling, but I firmly believe that the Air Show is worth saving inspite of the above issues. It appears that the Committee have been swimming against the tide when it comes to trying to extract any co-operation (God forbid funding) from the local authorities. On top of this they face a constant stream of bullsh*it (for want of a better word) from a whole host of nimbys, treehuggers and nay sayers, namely the GAAW, who clearly have no idea what they are talking about. I fear that the Air Show may be lost forever:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

Just out of interest what kind of costs were involved and how was it paid for if it was free to attend? Obviously just ballpark figures, its something i've never thought about before.

Do the displaying aircraft owners each get a fee or do they do it for publicity etc? Could a few large corporate sponsers not take it up?

pclancy wrote: »
    Just out of interest what kind of costs were involved and how was it paid for if it was free to attend?

In the region of e60,000. Alot of people just helped us out in great ways.

pclancy wrote: »
    Do the displaying aircraft owners each get a fee or do they do it for publicity etc? Could a few large corporate sponsers not take it up?

I hope you will respect the fact i cant really go into it. Not my place as thats my dad's area etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

Yeah no of course thats cool man :)

You'd think though somebody could stump up that kind of money for a great day's advertising and aviation :)

LowOdour wrote: »
    Maybe the Volvo ocean race will be out there.

AFAIK it will be. Galway's one of the major stage points on the route.

Still doesn't beat an airshow :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

yes the ocean race will be here in the city of the tribes! But as mentioned, whats that in comparison to the Salthill airshow. As far as I know there were plans to hold a show in clifden this summer. There was a small one in 2008 marking the 89th anniversary of the Alcock and Brown landing. That small airshow was AFAIK a publicity event for the bigger one that may take place this year, the 90th anniversary. As I say this was talked about last year but economic circumstances have changed etc. so...... Time will tell...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

ya going invite the israeli airforce?

Advertisement