Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Searching the Shannon for a man

Options
  • 11-01-2009 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Heard this late last night on the news. Todays news reported that the young man was seen entering the river at 8 o'clock.

I hate hearing stories like this. I know its not confirmed if it was an accident or intentional yet.

If it was intentional, in these times will we see an increase?

I hope not.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭brousuka

Jane Doh! wrote: »
    Heard this late last night on the news. Todays news reported that the young man was seen entering the river at 8 o'clock.

I hate hearing stories like this. I know its not confirmed if it was an accident or intentional yet.

If it was intentional, in these times will we see an increase?

I hope not.

Sadly there will probably be an increase. I was amazed to hear last week that the Samaritans have a sign up on the cliff edge at the Cliffs of Moher.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Jane Doh!

brousuka wrote: »
    Sadly there will probably be an increase. I was amazed to hear last week that the Samaritans have a sign up on the cliff edge at the Cliffs of Moher.

Yes, there is. I think its a good idea. A bit depressing for some visitors maybe, but I'm sure it does'nt ruin the experience for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I knew something like this was up last night. There was a helicopter flying very low over the shannon last night shining two searchlights in to the river.

They are still searching....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Awful news. I can't think of anything else to say. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Morbid but my Fiancess uncle walked himself into the Shannon last year and it took 13 days until he was found.

It takes many days for the body to bloat to come to the surface. The search was long since called off and 3 local fishermen(friends of his) found him one morning.

Its a sad way to go. Feel for his family and friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

Any news on whether he has been found?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Havent heard anything about this on the news!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

They're still looking, the Air Sea Rescue Helicopter is over the river at the moment, i can hear it from my bedroom, very loud.

It probably won't be on the news until the body is found.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

It was on RTÉ eirtel last night that there was a search in progress.

Apparently they know who the lad was, local and in his early 20's.

The Toyota car dealers on Tipp road closed over the weekend, son of the owner died. A youth in Jansboro died.

There were 3 completed suicides over the past week in Limerick. Did'nt see much reporting on that, society really needs to wake up to this problem.

Ireland has the fifth highest rate of youth suicide in Europe.

Agreed.

Is there any statistical info available on the numbers per county or numbers at specific times of year?

I don't have any official statistics to hand, but I'm pretty sure the number of suicides far eclipses the total of deaths caused by road/traffic accidents per year. It's a scary thought, one of these issues is (rightly) shoved down our throats, but the other is (wrongly) almost shoved under the carpet.

The Suicide Prevention Report 2007 shows that the number of deaths by suicide is greater than that of deaths by traffic accidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭cuculainn

brousuka wrote: »
    Samaritans have a sign up on the cliff edge at the Cliffs of Moher.

If you walk the Golden gate bridge, there are helplines every few hundred meters asking people to ring for help before they jump.

So I gues anywhere where there is an opertunity it will be used

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭BeanieBaby

The HSE in Limerick organise a course for those interested in helping those feeling suicidal.

Its called the Asist Course: Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training.

They hold them regularly. Bernie Carroll organises it and operates out of the HSE offices in O'Connell Street.

It basically teaches you how to speak to someone who is suicidal, while you are waiting for the professionals i.e. Paramedics or GP to arrive.

I did it last year and its an excellent course.

The reality is that all of us are touched, either directly or indirectly by suicide and this course is really helpful in understanding the phenomenon and also giving you the confidence to know what to do should you find yourself in the company of someone who is feeling suicidal.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭cuculainn

The Suicide Prevention Report 2007 shows that the number of deaths by suicide is greater than that of deaths by traffic accidents.

Last I heard there were approx 400+ suicides per annum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

An File wrote: »
    I don't have any official statistics to hand, but I'm pretty sure the number of suicides far eclipses the total of deaths caused by road/traffic accidents per year. It's a scary thought, one of these issues is (rightly) shoved down our throats, but the other is (wrongly) almost shoved under the carpet.

Last July, Senator Mary White published an excellent paper entitled What we can do about Suicide in the New Ireland. (pdf file is here)

Plenty of statistics contained in it. It also mentions how often there some road traffic deaths may also be suicides.

What the stats don't show, is the difficulties encountered by those who "attempt" but don't "complete" suicide. The stigma attached to being labelled as having attempted suicide and the uphill struggle to move back into the zone of safety. And the constant worry of the families of those who have attempted but not completed, because apparently, if you have made one attempt on your life, then you are at much greater risk of making another.

• Advertisement

BeanieBaby wrote: »
    The HSE in Limerick organise a course for those interested in helping those feeling suicidal.

Its called the Asist Course: Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training.

Completed the ASIST training course about 2 years ago now, excellent and very well facilitated.

Have used the skills I learned twice since. I think the course should be compulsory for anyone working in the community or health sectors.

Good for you, Jane. Sad you had to use it but glad you could.

I found it an excellent course.

I think relevant, too, for those working with teenagers and young people. And even parents of teenagers.

Completed the ASIST training course about 2 years ago now, excellent and very well facilitated.

Have used the skills I learned twice since. I think the course should be compulsory for anyone working in the community or health sectors.

Not sure if it's the exact same thing, but I'm signing up for a suicide prevention course in a few weeks time. Hopefully I'll never need to use it...

Probably is the same course, 2 full days training.

Any word on if he was found?

Haven't heard anything about this in two weeks.
    Probably is the same course, 2 full days training.

Turns out it's not the ASIST course, but the Gatekeeper. 5 weeks, 2 hours per week. Signed up yesterday.

An File wrote: »
    Haven't heard anything about this in two weeks.

Turns out it's not the ASIST course, but the Gatekeeper. 5 weeks, 2 hours per week. Signed up yesterday.

The Asist one is 16 hours (just checked my cert). Good luck with it, I'm sure the content is pretty much the same in both. I found the Asist course very interesting and very informative but also very challenging in terms of the way it changes your perceptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

No, he's still not found. Should be any day now with the help of God.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

There is a woman missing too! No sign of her yet either, its very sad!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭tinsop

it will be a month tomorrow,no sign yet...:(

Advertisement