Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeling left behind-promotion wise

Options
  • 11-01-2009 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

In a office based job for nearly 2 and half years. There are team leaders and managers above us but at my level, I'm the longest serving there out of maybe 20 people. 5 were made redundant last month.

I did struggle with the workload before but I asked for feedback last June 08, I've done everything I've asked to do and more. I can now do my job to an excellent standard and I've been told I'm much improved and they are very happy with me.

I'm on the entry level job title and internal jobs open up every year. I didn't apply for them and I wanted to improve in my current role. So maybe 4 people who started after me got promoted last year, I'm happy for them all.

Last month I asked to be trained up in a new and growing area. It's a small area but I've ideas and it's good to learn new things in your job. I was told I could definitely do this. In fact I asked again last Tuesday and again I was told I could do this training.

Teams were swapped around on Thursday. I'm back doing what I used to do two years ago. I know my job description and I'm not posting that certain areas are "beneath me" but after the team swap I've watched three people who are here less time then me getting lots of new training in a new area. It's natural to feel I'm going backwards. :(

I've been told I need to speak up more and be more confident. I do come up with ideas and in the meeting I rasied an original point and someone cut across me and it petered out. Two days later at the next meeting someone raised the exact same point, word for word! And of course management loved it and were going to bring it in across different branches. I sat silently feeling like a fool and angry at the same time.

Where am I going wrong? Do I request a meeting to explain my issues?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭radioactiveman

Hi OP
    This is more something I would say to your manager in a friendly way if you can get them on their own for a few minutes. I say friendly because giving them a bollicking might not get you anywhere.

The fact that you've asked what you're doing wrong and made a big effort to rectify it shows you're giving it your all. That for me is all anybody can do and should be recognised, it's bad management if it's not. If a person is that busy, they're devoting themselves to their job and that deserves respect.

They might be saying that they're very happy with you but really is it fair that those people were promoted before you even though they came in after you? Or that they were given the new work? It's good to improve in your current role but maybe you should think about moving somewhere else?

They could leave you there for quite a while without doing anything and might not give a fcuk even though they will tell you you're great. Your defence is that you can go to another job. A lot of managers will just do what suits them (ie promote their buddies) unless their arm is twisted. They may see you as somebody who will not put up a fight and will take advantage as a result.
    I would make the point firmly without getting into an argument, and failing that look for another job. It's fine for now, say, and for the next year, but what if it continues for another 5? This is not a nice prospect but it could happen - you have to look out for number 1.

btw you might not be going very wrong at all! Trying too much to please them might make them think they can get away with more. Also because you're working so hard in your current position it might suit them to keep you there.
    Defo say something just do it in the right way.

Advertisement